U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:16 AM

9,785 posts, read 7,102,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
You have a good point, but I don't think it will work. Whatever public campaign they do will be seen as racist, bigot, Nazis, etc. Trump could be Mother Teresa and they will still hate him. Everyone already knows illegal immigration costs this country. Supporters of illegal immigration benefit from that cost, so they will fight to keep illegal immigration going. Rational taxpayers don't need any convincing that illegal immigration is bad.

If you are worried about those propaganda shows like 60 Minutes swaying people, don't be. Many people are fed up with illegal immigration and welcome stronger enforcement efforts. Trump is not going to win any votes from the left by appeasing them. No matter what he does, they will not be pleased with him. He is enforcing immigration laws. That's part of any President's job. He doesn't need to justify doing his job.

What the Dems do best is sway public opinion, of course it helps when you have the major networks in your pocket but what we are seeing from Trump appears to be nothing but meanness. Of course you and I see it that he is just trying to enforce existing laws that have been pretty much ignored over the last 8 years but the general public sees his tactics as racist and Hitler like.

Many people do see the harm that illegal aliens are doing but those who want hem to stay have the bigger stage and louder voices. If they say that illegal aliens, sorry undocumented immigrants or the latest just plain "immigrants" are a benefit to us long enough and loud enough more people will believe them.

The stories of crimes committed by illegals that pop up in the news every other day are more than just anecdotes they are real life examples of illegal aliens hurting citizens and communities be it a fender bender, drug dealing, assault, rape and murder.

The Libs tend to forget about the victims of such crimes.

Trump needs to enforce our laws and the rest need to get on board or get out of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 11:45 AM

2,626 posts, read 5,998,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What the Dems do best is sway public opinion, of course it helps when you have the major networks in your pocket but what we are seeing from Trump appears to be nothing but meanness. Of course you and I see it that he is just trying to enforce existing laws that have been pretty much ignored over the last 8 years but the general public sees his tactics as racist and Hitler like.
The last 8 years? Try the last 30 years. Both Republican and Democrat administrations have been lax when it comes to enforcing existing immigration laws.
A Reagan Legacy: Amnesty For Illegal Immigrants : NPR
Grassley: Lessons Learned from the 1986 amnesty under President Reagan | The Iowa Republican
Today's immigration debate rooted in 'Reagan amnesty,' experts say | PBS NewsHour

Old 05-24-2017, 01:53 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,057,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The last 8 years? Try the last 30 years. Both Republican and Democrat administrations have been lax when it comes to enforcing existing immigration laws.
A Reagan Legacy: Amnesty For Illegal Immigrants : NPR
Grassley: Lessons Learned from the 1986 amnesty under President Reagan | The Iowa Republican
Today's immigration debate rooted in 'Reagan amnesty,' experts say | PBS NewsHour
That last 8 years were the worst that I have seen though. And, I have been in a position to see it.

But, this is why it is important to hit it hard once and for all. No more talk about amnesty or rewarding unlawful behavior. That will go a long way in discouraging others from coming in. They just poured in last year here until Trump was elected and now, I see with amnesty off the table, some are drifting out of here.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:59 PM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
I doubt if any effective legislation will ever get passed by Congress. To many important industries and their hyper wealthy owners are making money off legal (H1b) and illegal immigrants to ever allow their profits to be threatened. No matter how frustrated you folks become you are really powerless to make any significant changes.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
That last 8 years were the worst that I have seen though. And, I have been in a position to see it.
It might be worse in your particular locale; however, in my locales, the number of "unauthorized migrants" has decreased during the last 8 years.
5 facts about illegal immigration in the U.S. | Pew Research Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
But, this is why it is important to hit it hard once and for all. No more talk about amnesty or rewarding unlawful behavior. That will go a long way in discouraging others from coming in. They just poured in last year here until Trump was elected and now, I see with amnesty off the table, some are drifting out of here.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (aka the "Simpson-Mazzoli Act") was supposed to do that.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:45 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,278,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
It might be worse in your particular locale; however, in my locales, the number of "unauthorized migrants" has decreased during the last 8 years.
5 facts about illegal immigration in the U.S. | Pew Research Center

The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (aka the "Simpson-Mazzoli Act") was supposed to do that.
It's cause life's getting rougher for illegal aliens in the US and, word is Mexico IS getting better if talking Mexicans staying there even tho the drug cartels are still offing each other's members.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It's cause life's getting rougher for illegal aliens in the US and, word is Mexico IS getting better if talking Mexicans staying there even tho the drug cartels are still offing each other's members.
According to the Pew Research Center, most of the "unauthorized migrants" in my locales probably moved to other states, instead of returning to their countries of origin. Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington appear to have been the most popular destinations.
Estimated illegal immigrant population, by state, 2014 | Pew Research Center

Old 05-27-2017, 08:19 PM

2,509 posts, read 3,734,278 times
Can we figure out something other than incarcerating them here for up to 20 years? With an average of 31k per year and some places much more, it may end up costing tax payers even more than before. Maybe we can find a new island to send them to or work out a deal with an African nation in exchange food, water, supplies or well just about anything.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:48 PM

1,225 posts, read 360,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Can we figure out something other than incarcerating them here for up to 20 years? With an average of 31k per year and some places much more, it may end up costing tax payers even more than before. Maybe we can find a new island to send them to or work out a deal with an African nation in exchange food, water, supplies or well just about anything.
Free labor for the fields?

Old 05-27-2017, 09:48 PM

800 posts, read 363,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Trump is not going to win any votes from the left by appeasing them. No matter what he does, they will not be pleased with him.
Agreed. Almost everybody on the left hates Trump at an irreversible level. He could give them everything they ever dreamed of and they'd still hate them. He should just not pay attention whatsoever to anything that specifically just the left wants, nothing, zero. He should appeal to his base by doing the things he talked about on the campaign trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or