U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 12:13 PM

10,683 posts, read 17,025,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
These people are trying to sow fear into the hearts of law abiding illegals but it WON'T work. The majority of Americans stand steadfast with law abiding illegals. We will fight them in the courts, in the streets and everywhere until we achieve a just and reasonable victory. Public opinion is for immigration reform.
I don't know what you've been smoking but do you have some for the rest of us? illegals are by definition not law abiding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 12:49 PM

1,073 posts, read 493,333 times
Y'all need to stop being sticklers. Ok, is law-abiding undocumented immigrants better? I hope that satisfies everyone but everyone here know what I mean and I will continue to use the term to refer to illegals with no criminal record.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:02 PM

10,683 posts, read 17,025,274 times
Quote:
Y'all need to stop being sticklers. Ok, is law-abiding undocumented immigrants better? I hope that satisfies everyone but everyone here know what I mean and I will continue to use the term to refer to illegals with no criminal record.
No it isn't better. They are criminal just for being present in the US, that is IMHO reason enough for deportation. If they want to be here that badly they can apply legally once they've returned to their country of origin.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:26 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,282,218 times
Quote:
If it's good enough for the IRS to called illegal aliens "illegal aliens", it's good enough for me and, I STILL want their despicable kind OUT of the US. Period.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:12 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
Quote:
Most aren't undocumented though and have committed identity fraud in order to work or get social services, thus I think that may just open another "can of worms" when it comes to the "law-abiding".
So, even if you knew someone was a rapist, because he/she didn't have a criminal record, you would consider them "law-abiding". So, they can break the law but until the arrest is made, you consider them "law-abiding"? Do you not see the error in this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
No it isn't better. They are criminal just for being present in the US, that is IMHO reason enough for deportation. If they want to be here that badly they can apply legally once they've returned to their country of origin.
Actually, the criminal types we are seeing probably couldn't get in legally, yet another reason to load them up and ship them out. Some of the crimes they are committing couldn't have just started out of the blue, so I suspect many have a criminal history in their own countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
If it's good enough for the IRS to called illegal aliens "illegal aliens", it's good enough for me and, I STILL want their despicable kind OUT of the US. Period.
I just want to call them "GONE"!

Old 05-31-2017, 03:09 PM

2,626 posts, read 5,999,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
For you legal eagles:

The defendant, native to Mexico, moved to the USA with his parents in 2000. He became a lawful permanent resident.

In 2009, when he was 20 years old, he pled 'no contest', in a California court, to the charge of having sex with his 16 year old girlfriend; it was not, per se, 'statutory rape', but 'unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is more than three years younger than the perpetrator'.

The US Department of Homeland Security, under Obama, then began deportation proceedings. An immigration judge upheld deportation, saying that the defendant was guilty of 'sexual abuse of a minor'.

On appeal (still in immigration), upheld, with that court saying that defendant was guilty of an aggravated felony. Appealed to Federal Court of Appeals: refused to review.

The Supreme Court: reversed.

U.S. Supreme Court protects Mexican immigrant from deportation - UPI.com

From the linked article:

"But the U.S. Supreme Court overruled those decisions on Tuesday, saying that the conviction did not qualify as "sexual abuse of a minor" because Esquivel-Quintana's girlfriend was 16 at the time of the incident.

Because the U.S. Supreme Court said the offense was not clearly defined in the federal Immigration and Nationality Act, Esquivel-Quintana does not have to face deportation.

"If those acts do not constitute sexual abuse of a minor under the INA, then petitioner was not convicted of an aggravated felony and is not, on that basis, removable."

If one desires to read the actual opinion of the Court:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...16-54_5i26.pdf

Interesting indeed.
Thanks for the link to Esquivel-Quintana.

While most folks here probably aren't going to bother with perusing it, I found it quite interesting that Justice Thomas delivered the opinion. His "reliable dictionary" rationale for the "age of consent" is pretty entertaining.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:53 PM

6,730 posts, read 1,895,514 times
Quote:
These people are trying to sow fear into the hearts of law abiding illegals but it WON'T work. The majority of Americans stand steadfast with law abiding illegals. We will fight them in the courts, in the streets and everywhere until we achieve a just and reasonable victory. Public opinion is for immigration reform.
Law abiding illegals? That is a contradiction.
The majority of Americans were against the ACA and yet it passed.
Public opinion? Based upon opinion polls taken by biased sources?
Put it to a national vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or