Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 06:52 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,423,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Mexico Vows $50 Million Legal Fund to Fight U.S. Deportations - Breitbart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 06:56 AM

25,869 posts, read 22,029,200 times
That's a "drop in the bucket" compared to the $26 billion in 2016 sent to Mexico from the US: https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...-year-are-sent and put an outgoing tax on that money could easily help build that wall and that has been suggested.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:01 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,423,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
That's a "drop in the bucket" compared to the $26 billion in 2016 sent to Mexico from the US: https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...-year-are-sent and put an outgoing tax on that money could easily help build that wall and that has been suggested.
They should definitely tax those . That's money that leaves the country and never comes back.

I live in L.A and there are a ton of these little storefronts saying "send money to Mexico ,el Salvador "etc . Signs in Spanish of course .

Old 06-02-2017, 07:11 AM

24,420 posts, read 17,160,183 times
Technology might be the problem. Back in the day when the masses were arriving they had no choice but to learn our language and customs. They could of course still speak and follow their customs at home and in neighborhoods but when they were out in society and on the job they had to "be American".
People once saw it as a source of great pride to have learned english and assimilated into American culture.

Today with technology we have press 2 for Spanish, multi lingual signs, computers that link people to their families that are still back home and satellite dishes that bring their TV into their new American home.

We bend over backwards for immigrants today and they don't are not required to learn the language or our customs.

The bigger problem comes when they want to bring their customs and oppose them on us.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:16 AM

1,302 posts, read 682,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
That is my opinion, how about you?
Attachment 185487

My Opinion

(If you ever wondered why the Gulf of Mexico was called the Gulf of Mexico there is your answer)

(image edited by me)

Last edited by Alonso_Castillo; 06-06-2017 at 10:07 AM..

Old 06-06-2017, 09:18 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,867,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
My Opinion

(image edited by me)
Your opinion is flawed, but that is your right to be flawed.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:39 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,336,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
That is my opinion, how about you?
Attachment 185487

What are you describing as "assimilation". Believe it or not, there are many different types of cultures in the United States and they are all as American as the next.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:41 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,336,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Ive seen anti Trump protests in Los Angeles where Mexican flags are flown .

And I have seen pro Trump protests where the Confederate flag was being flown.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:30 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,883,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
My Opinion

(If you ever wondered why the Gulf of Mexico was called the Gulf of Mexico there is your answer)

(image edited by me)
That doesn't matter in 2017. Mexico LOST a lot of land and, not all was by the US beating that country in a war. Guatemala and so on were also part of Mexico but, I get the feeling Mexico does NOT want that land back.

Like I've said before: I'm sorry the US only took half of Mexico, we should've taken ALL of it in 1848. Period.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:41 PM

22,416 posts, read 11,937,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
What are you describing as "assimilation". Believe it or not, there are many different types of cultures in the United States and they are all as American as the next.
Read #3 in the following link. That will answer your question:

Assimilation | Define Assimilation at Dictionary.com

Some people mistakenly assume that assimilation means forgetting one's own ethnic culture. It does not. People are free to practice their own customs and worship in religious churches/temples/synagogues with others who hold the same customs. No one is stopping them from doing so.

However, when one moves to another country, it is the responsibility of that person to learn the native language, the laws and the customs plus be expected to adhere to them. If I were to move to another country, it would be my responsibility to learn the local language, the local laws and the local customs. It's not the responsibility of the new country to adapt to immigrants, it's the responsibility of immigrants to adapt to the new country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration