Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 09:33 AM

25,676 posts, read 21,838,722 times

Advertisements

I had noticed the city had their regular drunk driving checkpoints on Memorial Day weekend and got to wondering how that works if illegal aliens are randomly stopped. I found this very interesting article for CA on the subject: https://www.usimmigration.com/dui-ch...king-down.html They say the number one law the illegal aliens break, well after either overstaying or entering without authorization is driving without a license. Chip, chip, chipping away at the problem.

Sobriety checkpoints have been found to be legal, thankfully. Consistent with the requirements of the 4th Amendment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random...ty_checkpoints

In 2010, in this article, they were not doing anything with the illegal aliens, but now, with Trump in office and the law being enforced, I hope that will change, looks like easy pickins': http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/us...anted=all&_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 12:16 PM

88,620 posts, read 44,365,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I had noticed the city had their regular drunk driving checkpoints on Memorial Day weekend and got to wondering how that works if illegal aliens are randomly stopped. I found this very interesting article for CA on the subject: https://www.usimmigration.com/dui-ch...king-down.html They say the number one law the illegal aliens break, well after either overstaying or entering without authorization is driving without a license. Chip, chip, chipping away at the problem.

Sobriety checkpoints have been found to be legal, thankfully. Consistent with the requirements of the 4th Amendment. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random...ty_checkpoints

In 2010, in this article, they were not doing anything with the illegal aliens, but now, with Trump in office and the law being enforced, I hope that will change, looks like easy pickins': http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/us...anted=all&_r=0
Yep. I don't see why we shouldn't deport every illegal alien exposed by a such a checkpoint. The drunk drivers go to jail. The illegal aliens get deported.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:29 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,835,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. I don't see why we shouldn't deport every illegal alien exposed by a such a checkpoint. The drunk drivers go to jail. The illegal aliens get deported.
Agreed.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:18 PM

Sadly I read several articles where the illegal aliens/sympathizers were crying over this because as criminals, they felt it was profiling. They haven't gotten anywhere with that. I know there have been many deaths at the hands of illegal aliens that were driving drunk, probably without a license. MADD is a big supporter of this, and I believe they are quite vocal.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:39 PM

1,505 posts, read 997,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, the better solution would be to give them driver licenses and eventually legalize them. If they commit a serious crime such as DUI/DWI, then we should apply the full force of the law against them.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:22 AM

22,311 posts, read 11,815,815 times
Why should they get DLs when they have no business being here, let alone driving? Besides, even when they can get licenses, many don't bother. It's not the panacea that you imagine it to be.

Why should they be legalized? Legalizing illegal aliens is a slap in the face to legal immigrants. I think that you are well aware of that fact, no?

Old 06-12-2017, 01:45 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,122,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
No, the better solution would be to give them driver licenses and eventually legalize them. If they commit a serious crime such as DUI/DWI, then we should apply the full force of the law against them.
Our DUI laws suck, they're never found after they're released bc they give fake names and fake addresses, they don't have money to cough up even if you do find them, and drinking and driving is one of their favorite hobbies.
Loser all around.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:22 AM

16,237 posts, read 5,831,561 times
Quote:
So your answer is to further facilitate their illegal activities in this country?
Give an arsonist matches?
Give a shoplifter an overcast with deep pockets?
Give a rapist condoms?
No what we should do is hold illegals accountable for the laws they break.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:11 AM

88,620 posts, read 44,365,850 times
Quote:
Illegal aliens are already violating federal law by being here. Deport them.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:44 PM

This is a great way to "kill two birds with one stone". You get drunk drivers off the road and apprehending illegal aliens is the "gravy"! The rules require that they announce these checkpoints ahead time, usually signs up, etc. Of course, a drunk or someone that doesn't read English...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration