Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:09 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
Sure they can, marry a USC or greencard holder and fully rely on them for everything
And what percentage would that be? LOL
That's like saying you can plan your retirement on winning the lottery. Yes some people will win the lottery. Just a very low percentage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 07:35 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
E-verify would treat legals equally as it would illegals. It's just a barrier to employment.

In any case, e-verify won't affect employers willing to pay cash.

So you and me will have to deal with the glitchy e-verify database before we begin work (ie follow the law) and all the illegals you're worried about will already be on the job making a buck.

Sounds great.
As for your first sentence---huh?

E-verify needs to be tweaked to weed out things like illegals who name their anchor babies after themselves and then use said child's SSN.

Of course E-verify is "a barrier to employment" when it comes to illegals. That's the way it's supposed to be. I'm surprised that you didn't know this.

It's long past time to tweak E-verify and then run everybody in the workforce to weed out those 8 million no-match SSNs. BTW, did you know that someone could be using your SSN right now and the SSA won't tell you? You only find out when the IRS comes after you for not filing a return for a job you never worked.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
E-verify would treat legals equally as it would illegals. It's just a barrier to employment.

In any case, e-verify won't affect employers willing to pay cash.

So you and me will have to deal with the glitchy e-verify database before we begin work (ie follow the law) and all the illegals you're worried about will already be on the job making a buck.

Sounds great.
E- Verify takes the deniability away from the employer. The current loophole used to avoid prosecution.
E-Verify will affect employers willing to pay cash. It will allow even joe cheapskate to be held accountable.
My company already uses E-Verify and no one lost their job.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:52 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
As for your first sentence---huh?

E-verify needs to be tweaked to weed out things like illegals who name their anchor babies after themselves and then use said child's SSN.

Of course E-verify is "a barrier to employment" when it comes to illegals. That's the way it's supposed to be. I'm surprised that you didn't know this.

It's long past time to tweak E-verify and then run everybody in the workforce to weed out those 8 million no-match SSNs. BTW, did you know that someone could be using your SSN right now and the SSA won't tell you? You only find out when the IRS comes after you for not filing a return for a job you never worked.
Well so long as everybody is willing to accept the loss of privacy, the doors to employment to pass through the Federal government, the additional penalty and regulation on the employer and employee, and infringing on our "right to work", it's fine.

https://www.cato.org/blog/serious-problems-e-verify

Old 06-12-2017, 10:58 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Well so long as everybody is willing to accept the loss of privacy, the doors to employment to pass through the Federal government, the additional penalty and regulation on the employer and employee, and infringing on our "right to work", it's fine.

https://www.cato.org/blog/serious-problems-e-verify

How does e-verify infringe on the right to work for citizens and legal immigrants? How does one lose their privacy by just providing a valid SS# and ID to work? A valid SS# and ID are required for many things. An employer should be penalized for knowingly hiring illegal aliens. It's the law.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:05 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I was with him up to about 4:00 in the video. Build the wall, enforce E-Verify, cut all government assistance to illegals, repeal the 14th Amendment and then let's see what happens. There is no need to jump to legalization.
He is asking us to believe the new laws will be enforced in the future while existing laws aren't. They also said you can't stop the flow. It's just nature, but it has happened. The we-can't-deport-11 million mantra is equally false.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:36 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How does e-verify infringe on the right to work for citizens and legal immigrants? How does one lose their privacy by just providing a valid SS# and ID to work? A valid SS# and ID are required for many things. An employer should be penalized for knowingly hiring illegal aliens. It's the law.

Well said!

Old 06-13-2017, 12:41 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
I didn't understand that either. I been producing a valid SS# and ID for decades now, and never thought anything of it. They give you that sheet that shows your choices: https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/acceptable-documents and you pick to and they make a copy.

E-verify is free and looks easy for employers to get on board with it: https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify

The solution that most of us would support includes enforcing the laws and defining birthright citizenship as it was meant to be. And, the chip, chip, chipping away removing illegals and/or encouraging them to go before their number is up! Secure the border to keep them out.

As we know, to those that are illegal aliens, their sympathizers and exploiters, the laws of our country are meaningless if they get in the way of their agenda.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:00 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,583 times
Quote:
Read the link I posted, you'll see. This is the antithesis of small and limited government. I hope we're all on the same page about that.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Read the link I posted, you'll see. This is the antithesis of small and limited government. I hope we're all on the same page about that.
There is a balance. As our Fed has grown so has the illegal immigration problem. American jobs for Americans first is not a bad thing and our Fed should be enforcing it.
Securing our borders is the job of the Fed. Protecting US citizens from foreign intruders is the job of the Fed.
Our prisons are filled with illegals. Illegals who have committed often violent crimes.
Illegals taking jobs from US citizens. Whose job is it to protect those jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration