Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 11:53 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times

Advertisements

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1373

See above for U.S. Code Title 8 1373 to see Federal Law, the following Counties and Cities will lose big $$$ from Federal Law Enforcement grant money this summer for refusing to cooperate with Federal Law Enforcement Agency ICE:

State of California - 68 Million dollars
Connecticut - All federal law enforcement grant money
New Orleans - changed! now support ICE
Miami Dade- changed! now support ICE
New York City - 15 million
Cook County , Chicago - 3.7 Million
Milwaukee - 1.7 million
Philadelphia- 1.7 million
Clark County, NV - 1.7 million

Very sad that these jurisdictions don't support Law Enforcement, but now they will feel the heat.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 07:06 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
I would hope that the citizens would stand up and read the riot act to their government officials over this.

With the economy the way it is, I can't imagine any of those cities can afford to lose millions in grants.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:48 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,006,734 times
They will not lose anything. This administration will be facing so many lawsuits that we will eventually back off.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
They will not lose anything. This administration will be facing so many lawsuits that we will eventually back off.
You keep dreaming that, you are another person that does not support the law or law enforcement, so I hope you don't ever need help.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:12 AM

I am confused by this since the cities are harboring illegal aliens which is against the law. The city, itself, is breaking federal law. I think we should take troops in and arrest the city officials although I suppose that would be "wrong". An employer who is hiring illegal aliens can be arrested and fined, so I don't understand why this wouldn't be the same for a city that is harboring illegal aliens. It seems in both cases, federal law is being broken, yet the city is getting away with what the employer does not. We all know this is not compassion, but exploitation that keeps these sanctuary cities acting this way.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:26 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Why do so many people support criminals ?? What are they getting out of it besides a pat on the back?

The average citizen needs to know that the withholding of funds is not because Trump is a mean jerk but it is because their elected choose to ignore federal law.

Trump needs to start a reality show called "Busted". The host along with appointed authorities will go to a sanctuary cities governors or mayors office and ask them why they defy federal law and spell out what happens if they do not comply. If they agree there will be weekly updates on the show. If they don't then they get arrested and the show follows them through the court process. It could be like "Americas Most Wanted" with reenactments etc..

Old 06-16-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Why do so many people support criminals ?? What are they getting out of it besides a pat on the back?

The average citizen needs to know that the withholding of funds is not because Trump is a mean jerk but it is because their elected choose to ignore federal law.

Trump needs to start a reality show called "Busted". The host along with appointed authorities will go to a sanctuary cities governors or mayors office and ask them why they defy federal law and spell out what happens if they do not comply. If they agree there will be weekly updates on the show. If they don't then they get arrested and the show follows them through the court process. It could be like "Americas Most Wanted" with reenactments etc..
Right now, I only watch 2 shows, "The Middle" and "The Good Place", but I would certainly never miss an episode of a show like you describe!

I do think that getting it in the media and keeping it there will get people informed. Many times people are just so busy that they don't keep up with what is going on, which is why I think Trump did so well because he put the issues right in front of everyone and did not let up and has not let up on them.

I think that listing cities to boycott that won't follow federal law would also be beneficial.

These cities need to be hit with every kind of pressure that can be applied to them legally, and I certainly believe that in not following federal law by harboring illegal aliens we should legally be able to hit them hard from the federal level.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:17 AM

Thanks to all of you for supporting Law Enforcement , some of us really appreciate that!

Old 06-19-2017, 10:06 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Yawn. This will be challenged in court, and will lose due to violation of the constitution.

This is just Trump wasting time. Mandatory e-verify would work, this is just an attempt to grant the president powers that he does not have.

Its not a matter of supporting law enforcement either, in fact many law enforcement folks point out that making people more afraid to report crimes, or talk to them will simply make their job harder.

By far the most effective thing will be everify. But it cant be forced into existence by a president, it has to be voted in, and most politicians wont do it, as too many of their financial supporters use illegal labor.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:24 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yawn. This will be challenged in court, and will lose due to violation of the constitution.

This is just Trump wasting time. Mandatory e-verify would work, this is just an attempt to grant the president powers that he does not have.

Its not a matter of supporting law enforcement either, in fact many law enforcement folks point out that making people more afraid to report crimes, or talk to them will simply make their job harder.

By far the most effective thing will be everify. But it cant be forced into existence by a president, it has to be voted in, and most politicians wont do it, as too many of their financial supporters use illegal labor.
I I agree the mandatory E-Verify will be the most powerful tool. Combine that with massive fines, including the cost to deport each illegal the employer is caught using. The penalty will be far to costly to risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration