Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 06:35 AM

62,879 posts, read 29,110,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
They already are unless there's a US citizen or prospective citizen (i.e.: pregnant) involved. Refugees are another story

As another poster already pointed out though the Obama administration overturned that 5 year rule. Trump wants it reinstated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 06:50 AM

24,471 posts, read 17,207,356 times
It really is ridiculous that a person can illegally stroll across the border and get on welfare while someone who got in line, paid the fees and waited their turn to enter the country legally has to support themselves.
What a slap in the face to legal immigrants when the illegal ones are being supported by the government.

We should go back to the old days, the Ellis island days where if you wanted to immigrate to America you had to show that you had a skill so you could get a job and or have a sponsor that would be responsible for you. The last thing we needed then and now was more poor unskilled people coming and going on welfare.

Of course back then welfare was set up by the towns, cities and states and people were ashamed to be on so they worked to get off of it.
Today we have a population that is dependent on welfare and it is far to easy to get it and very difficult to get off it.

Hit the illegals in the wallet and soon enough they will realize that it is not worth it and leave or better yet never make the dangerous trip in the first place.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:29 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Problem is, government assistance for illegals is given to their US (born) children.

By definition, the kids of non citizens are they citizens of the US?

Old 07-12-2017, 08:05 AM

62,879 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
By definition, the kids of non citizens are they citizens of the US?

There is a difference between a non-citizen legal immigrant and an illegal alien. The former's kids born on our soil are rightful birthright citizens. The latter's aren't in reality based on the wording of the 14th Amendment. This has been discussed in here numerous times.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:19 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
As another poster already pointed out though the Obama administration overturned that 5 year rule. Trump wants it reinstated.
I don't believe that it has. This is still well documented on the I-864 and when applying for assistance

Old 07-12-2017, 09:27 AM

25,942 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I like they way you put that. Break a larger problem into smaller parts. & I 100% agree that NO immigrant (illegal or legal) should receive any Federal Benefits for 5 years.

- No SNAP. (Food Stamps)
- No Free School Meals.
- NO Section 8 housing.
- NO Medicare (because they have NO insurance). Let them work for a company that provides insurance...or do without.
- NO Welfare.

If the State (or City) wants to provide these things, knock themselves out. The only thing I would be willing to have the Feds pay for is Abortions.
They should never get the benefits.

Anchor babies get food stamps, most have the magic #4 anchors. I don't think an illegal alien should be in our school system, once dictated, the school should be a mandated reporter and required to alert ICE (we had to show birth certificates to get into school). One anchor baby gets the whole illegal family into Section 8 housing, while Americans live on the street. They use Medicaid for "emergency" care, 3 times more often than a citizen uses the emergency room, this includes birthing their anchors paid for by the same taxpayers who will pay to raise the anchor.

They are using a program here meant for the homeless to feed illegal alien families coming in, as they poured in during the talk of amnesty. I was told "Well, they aren't homeless since they are living with another family, but they don't have enough food."

The only thing I am willing to pay for is the bus ride home!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:35 AM

https://aspe.hhs.gov/basic-report/ov...chip#_ednref11

This has some good info about who qualifies and who doesn't.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Anchor babies get food stamps, most have the magic #4 anchors. I don't think an illegal alien should be in our school system, once dictated, the school should be a mandated reporter and required to alert ICE (we had to show birth certificates to get into school). One anchor baby gets the whole illegal family into Section 8 housing, while Americans live on the street. They use Medicaid for "emergency" care, 3 times more often than a citizen uses the emergency room, this includes birthing their anchors paid for by the same taxpayers who will pay to raise the anchor.

They are using a program here meant for the homeless to feed illegal alien families coming in, as they poured in during the talk of amnesty. I was told "Well, they aren't homeless since they are living with another family, but they don't have enough food."

What about legal immigrants though? Should they ever qualify?

Old 07-12-2017, 10:13 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
What about legal immigrants though? Should they ever qualify?
Nope. Go back to your country of origin if you're going to leech off of citizens.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:32 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

My "legal or illegal" comment was to suggest that even a "legal" immigrant shouldn't get welfare the first 5 years. (perhaps i mis-typed)

& I agree if here "illegally", NO benefits (except maybe a one way ticket to Reynosa).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration