Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 02:34 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
And reversed by Obama [UNBELIEVABLE!]
We're talking welfare, correct? I've been searching for a reference regarding Obama reversing the five year law enacted by Clinton in 1996. I remember 1996, and right wing conservatives screaming bloody murder that Clinton was some crazed pinko communist (how quickly the right forgets that used to be a bad thing, Russia's fantastic now!) when he was actually pretty center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 08:16 AM

62,943 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
We're talking welfare, correct? I've been searching for a reference regarding Obama reversing the five year law enacted by Clinton in 1996. I remember 1996, and right wing conservatives screaming bloody murder that Clinton was some crazed pinko communist (how quickly the right forgets that used to be a bad thing, Russia's fantastic now!) when he was actually pretty center.
Since when do most conservatives think that Russia is fantastic now? Since the title of the topic has the word immigrants in it I don't know why this topic was started in the illegal immigration forum in the first place. Even if illegal aliens are included in the mix I believe they never had to wait 5 years to collect on behalf of their U.S. born kids.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:31 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
The provisions of PRWORA are still in existence, Obama did not 'roll them back' or undo any part of them
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...gets-an-earful

From all of the sources that I checked, it seems that Trump either was not aware of the 1996 law, or he intends to broaden it and make it apply to previously exempt persons including refugees, people from Cuba and Haiti, and green-card holders

Old 07-15-2017, 09:53 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Stopping benefits will make would be immigrants rethink their move to the US.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Stopping benefits will make would be immigrants rethink their move to the US.
almost none of them get benefits...these are the only exceptions to the 1996 welfare law
  • lawful permanent residents, or LPRs (people with green cards)
  • refugees, people granted asylum or withholding of deportation/removal, and conditional entrants
  • people granted parole by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for a period of at least one year
  • Cuban and Haitian entrants
  • certain abused immigrants, their children, and/or their parents
  • certain survivors of trafficking
https://www.nilc.org/issues/economic...igfedprograms/

Old 07-15-2017, 11:22 AM

6,224 posts, read 3,408,894 times
Quote:
Eh...what? The republican controlled congress passed the 5 year limit and the work requirement law and Clinton signed it into law. The only ones I remember that went ballistic were democrats who opposed the law.....The fact is the Obama administration simply ignored the law.

If anyone has forgotten that simple fact... it was you.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
What about legal immigrants though? Should they ever qualify?
No....Legal immigrants have a time frame allowed in the country. Having a visa doesn't allow you a life time entry.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person...pportunity_Act. Fools. He's pushing something that was enacted in 1996 by Clinton.
And ignored by the Obama administration in 2009.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
almost none of them get benefits...these are the only exceptions to the 1996 welfare law
  • lawful permanent residents, or LPRs (people with green cards)
  • refugees, people granted asylum or withholding of deportation/removal, and conditional entrants
  • people granted parole by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for a period of at least one year
  • Cuban and Haitian entrants
  • certain abused immigrants, their children, and/or their parents
  • certain survivors of trafficking
https://www.nilc.org/issues/economic...igfedprograms/
I beg to differ on this highlighted comment....California allows welfare and food stamps for illegal aliens for a couple years now.

Report: Majority of Illegal Immigrant Households On Welfare

In 2012, 62 percent got benefits, while 49 percent of legal households also on public assistance.

Report: Majority of Illegal Immigrant Households On Welfare - Washington Free Beacon

Old 07-15-2017, 01:26 PM

That's not true. I live in California. The only benefit extended to undocumented citizens is that children are eligible for medical care regardless of citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration