Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 04:28 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times

Advertisements

As the thread continues, remember to focus on the topic not each other. And if you feel someone is racist/trolling, contact a mod about it.
Yac.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:01 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Careful, you're racism is showing. The real truth comes out, you're projecting your views that race is behind everything on to others. Get over it man, yes there are racist people out there that don't want any immigration at all. And you're conveniently blurring the line of immigrants and illegal aliens to fit the racist beliefs. Walls and deportations address illegals, not legal immigrants. Legal immigrants have nothing to worry about, they are here and they are legal.

By the way the new reform to legal immigration was a great announcement. Merit based immigration that will allow the best and brightest into our country and limiting poor basic skilled workers will be great for our country.
I feel the opposite. If this reform passes I believe it would actually hurt the US economy. With low unemployment many employers can't find anybody to fill open positions. This would effectively be cutting off a supply of labor in many many cases. We also have a looming crisis that people seem forget about, a rapidly aging populace. We need young people immigrating here and working to keep Medicare and Social Security afloat. This bill would greatly hamper that. I really hope it doesn't pass.

Finally, I've attempted to explain this before and it seems to go over everyone's head here. If the concern is about immigrants (legal or illegal) taking our jobs, then it is the highly educated immigrants you should be most concerned about. They are the ones who come here and take our best jobs - doctors, engineers, IT, corporate management, etc. Meanwhile there is a lack of labor to do the low-paying low education jobs in our fields, restaurants, construction, etc. Those are the jobs I'd rather have immigrants filling, not the good high paying jobs that I'd rather have our college graduates fill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 06:44 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default We'd be more like Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
More importantly, the country would cease to exist. No thanks.
I remember back when Free Trade was initially proposed Canada's Prime Minister mentioned that it was Good, Services, and eventually, like Europe, people movement that would be freely exchanged.

What you'd have is English and Spanish as official languages, and a small Swiss style enclave called Quebec that wouldn't recognize EITHER language, but would use French instead. And all the lawyers would hide their money there.

Hey wait! That's what they do NOW!

Old 08-04-2017, 06:59 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times
The original proposal to eliminate borders to expose racist is pretty ridiculous. It does not require deep thinking to realize what would happen to our country without it's boundaries. It's been mentioned over and over, people are anti ILLEGAL alien, not legal immigration. Sure there are some racist but it would be foolish to have open borders to expose a small percentage of people.

It's been mentioned and discussed plenty of times already, illegal aliens drive down wages for blue collar workers.

The reform does not stop immigration of low skilled people, it limits and allows to throttle.

It also limits the ability for immigrants to bring their entire relatives, such as elderly parents, that would have a negative impact on our economy.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:08 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I feel the opposite. If this reform passes I believe it would actually hurt the US economy. With low unemployment many employers can't find anybody to fill open positions. This would effectively be cutting off a supply of labor in many many cases. We also have a looming crisis that people seem forget about, a rapidly aging populace. We need young people immigrating here and working to keep Medicare and Social Security afloat. This bill would greatly hamper that. I really hope it doesn't pass.

Finally, I've attempted to explain this before and it seems to go over everyone's head here. If the concern is about immigrants (legal or illegal) taking our jobs, then it is the highly educated immigrants you should be most concerned about. They are the ones who come here and take our best jobs - doctors, engineers, IT, corporate management, etc. Meanwhile there is a lack of labor to do the low-paying low education jobs in our fields, restaurants, construction, etc. Those are the jobs I'd rather have immigrants filling, not the good high paying jobs that I'd rather have our college graduates fill.
There would be no problem finding legal workers if the employers paid reasonable wages. Why are you advocating for a form of slavery? We fought a war over slavery, now you want to bring it back?

Old 08-04-2017, 10:30 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
There would be no problem finding legal workers if the employers paid reasonable wages. Why are you advocating for a form of slavery? We fought a war over slavery, now you want to bring it back?
Nowhere did I mention slavery. At some point in your life try taking a course on economics and then you'd understand the relationship of supply and demand as it relates to labor and wages. And if you're suggesting that the greeter at Walmart should be making $15/hr then I guess you take the ultra-liberal viewpoint that the minimum wage needs to be raised to 15/hr. You must be a Bernie Sanders supporter.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:05 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,431,986 times
Open Border = No laws exist. Maintain being a Sovereign Nation.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:52 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:

Once again, there is no shortage of blue-collared American workers willing to work for a fair wage. That's a myth spread by the greedy employers and others who have a vested interest in illegal immigration in particular.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:59 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Nowhere did I mention slavery. At some point in your life try taking a course on economics and then you'd understand the relationship of supply and demand as it relates to labor and wages. And if you're suggesting that the greeter at Walmart should be making $15/hr then I guess you take the ultra-liberal viewpoint that the minimum wage needs to be raised to 15/hr. You must be a Bernie Sanders supporter.
I didn't say anything about wal-mart greeters.

Is $15 the minimum wage? I thought it was $7.50 or something like that. I didn't say anything about that either though.

Economics is a poor excuse for slave wages, and horrible working conditions. You mean economics is teaching America to go back to third world conditions? There's something wrong with a course that teaches that.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:02 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Are you sure it wouldn't be worth it? Imagine a world where you and the other regulars here would no longer have this topic to whine and fester about all day. You could redirect your focus on enjoying life. It sounds almost too good to be true, doesn't it?
Not at that price. A country without borders is not a country. This isn't a John Lennon song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration