Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 08:42 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,986,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I feel the opposite. If this reform passes I believe it would actually hurt the US economy. With low unemployment many employers can't find anybody to fill open positions. This would effectively be cutting off a supply of labor in many many cases. We also have a looming crisis that people seem forget about, a rapidly aging populace. We need young people immigrating here and working to keep Medicare and Social Security afloat. This bill would greatly hamper that. I really hope it doesn't pass.

Finally, I've attempted to explain this before and it seems to go over everyone's head here. If the concern is about immigrants (legal or illegal) taking our jobs, then it is the highly educated immigrants you should be most concerned about. They are the ones who come here and take our best jobs - doctors, engineers, IT, corporate management, etc. Meanwhile there is a lack of labor to do the low-paying low education jobs in our fields, restaurants, construction, etc. Those are the jobs I'd rather have immigrants filling, not the good high paying jobs that I'd rather have our college graduates fill.
Ponzi schemes always fail. When those young people you want to add to the population get old, what then? Add even more people to pay into the system? How many people will be too many for you? 1 billion? 2 billion?

You seem to be misinformed about the job market. Unemployment figures are misleading. For example, people who have given up looking for a job aren't counted. Underemployed people are counted as fully employed.

Amazon has 50,000 jobs to fill at its fulfillment centers across the country. Thousands have been showing up at each location:

Thousands descend on Robbinsville, N.J., for 50,000 Amazon jobs

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9621226e8030

Thousands Line Up to Work in Amazon Warehouses | Time.com

Don't worry --- People are well aware of H1-B abuse and want that visa program either abolished or severely curtailed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 10:11 AM

2,309 posts, read 901,333 times
Quote:
Are you sure it wouldn't be worth it? Imagine a world where you and the other regulars here would no longer have this topic to whine and fester about all day. You could redirect your focus on enjoying life. It sounds almost too good to be true, doesn't it?
So you want to risk national security for the sake of getting rid of a sub forum on a website?

Old 08-14-2017, 01:55 PM

296 posts, read 232,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
More importantly, the country would cease to exist. No thanks.
Us citizens could have the honor of working seven days a week to pay for ALL of them. We could be just worker ants.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:27 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire1 View Post
Us citizens could have the honor of working seven days a week to pay for ALL of them. We could be just worker ants.
I'm not sure what you're saying... That we need the illegals workforce in order to have a comfortable life? Take it one step further and we all what you get.

By the way, we don't need the illegal work force.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:35 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,102,658 times
Quote:
I feel the opposite. If this reform passes I believe it would actually hurt the US economy. With low unemployment many employers can't find anybody to fill open positions. This would effectively be cutting off a supply of labor in many many cases. We also have a looming crisis that people seem forget about, a rapidly aging populace. We need young people immigrating here and working to keep Medicare and Social Security afloat. This bill would greatly hamper that. I really hope it doesn't pass.

Finally, I've attempted to explain this before and it seems to go over everyone's head here. If the concern is about immigrants (legal or illegal) taking our jobs, then it is the highly educated immigrants you should be most concerned about. They are the ones who come here and take our best jobs - doctors, engineers, IT, corporate management, etc. Meanwhile there is a lack of labor to do the low-paying low education jobs in our fields, restaurants, construction, etc. Those are the jobs I'd rather have immigrants filling, not the good high paying jobs that I'd rather have our college graduates fill.
Number 1: We don't talk about legal and illegal aliens here, we talk about illegal aliens, people that have broken immigration laws of our country. As we know, there are temp visas for needed workers, no reason to import them on a permanent basis.

Number 2: If we cut welfare to citizens, we'll have the workers for many of the jobs as sometimes welfare just pays better, and that shouldn't be: When welfare pays better than work | New York Post

Construction workers have lost jobs, as well as, workers in manufacturing and many low skilled jobs, especially in the cities where young blacks are sort of trapped and without those jobs, they are unemployed and more likely to become involved in "bad" stuff.

Number 3: We do not need young people migrating here that have the "magic 4 anchor babies" for us to support. We both birth them and raise them. Our citizens CANNOT afford to have 4 babies when they have to pay to birth and raise them without government assistance like the illegals are getting for their anchors.

Number 4: NO! Until we can take care of our own, no one needs to come to the USA on a permanent basis. Americans First!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
There would be no problem finding legal workers if the employers paid reasonable wages. Why are you advocating for a form of slavery? We fought a war over slavery, now you want to bring it back?
Aren't most of those advocating for illegal aliens wanting a form of slavery? Garment workers in CA (you know how they LOVE their illegals) are illegal aliens that work for less than minimum wage and get no overtime pay: California labor commissioner fines illegal garment businesses - LA Times

Thousands of ICE detainees claim "slavery": https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1dcbff33629f

Quote:
Nowhere did I mention slavery. At some point in your life try taking a course on economics and then you'd understand the relationship of supply and demand as it relates to labor and wages. And if you're suggesting that the greeter at Walmart should be making $15/hr then I guess you take the ultra-liberal viewpoint that the minimum wage needs to be raised to 15/hr. You must be a Bernie Sanders supporter.
Perhaps you should take a course in American Government and American History. Also a refresher course in economics, because it isn't just about businesses reaping profits by not following our country's laws, but about the $113 billion tax dollars that supplement those businesses picking up the expense of their illegals in order that the businesses can reap greater profits. So, no, it is not a win for the citizens of our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I didn't say anything about wal-mart greeters.

Is $15 the minimum wage? I thought it was $7.50 or something like that. I didn't say anything about that either though.

Economics is a poor excuse for slave wages, and horrible working conditions. You mean economics is teaching America to go back to third world conditions? There's something wrong with a course that teaches that.
Economics doesn't hold up when we are forced to supplement the wages for the illegal workers at the tune of $113+ billion per year of taxpayer dollars. And, we have the huge cost of crime associated with these illegal aliens too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying... That we need the illegals workforce in order to have a comfortable life? Take it one step further and we all what you get.

By the way, we don't need the illegal work force.
I can tell you that the construction workers, roofers and manufacturing workers here that have been replaced by illegal aliens are not having a "comfortable" life!

And, no, we do not need the illegal work force, but they are really nice for those scummy business people who hire them in helping them put more profits in their pockets. They are nice for those slum lords that charge them twice what a place would normally rent for.

We had 200 kids graduate from the high school here. We are quite a distance from any bigger city, especially with having harsh winters. There might have been 20 jobs max in the whole town when those kids graduated.

The places that appear to hire illegal aliens here pay from minimum to $8.25 per hour for jobs that are hard and dirty. Hobby Lobby just opened and is paying over $10.00 per hour for part-time and even more for full-time positions. Huge store too! Hostess (hires no illegals) starting pay is over $14.00 an hour. Here a household that can bring in $35,000 total a year can do very well. Due to illegal aliens here, the town now has a poverty rate of 25%. Send them home! Some have disappeared on their own.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:14 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
So you want to risk national security for the sake of getting rid of a sub forum on a website?
And not needing a passport and going through border patrol to visit Canada and Mexico would be nice too.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:58 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
And not needing a passport and going through border patrol to visit Canada and Mexico would be nice too.

Not really because all kinds of undesirables would enter all three of our countries including terrorists and criminals.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:29 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,629 times
Quote:
You want open borders because it's inconvenient for you to show a passport when traveling to another country.

The struggle is real.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:41 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Quote:
Canada and Mexico set their entry requirements.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:25 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,333 times
Quote:
Again, you want to risk national security for the sake of you not being inconvienced with passports?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration