Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 08:30 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I keep going back to one little fact that anti-illegals will not acknowledge. These immigrants are doing work that we Americans refuse to do. If you want a job, there are plenty of jobs out there, like picking fruit and vegetables in the blistering sun for 12-15 hours a day, or landscaping jobs under the same circumstances. THOSE are the jobs we are talking about, NOT cushy office jobs.

So, if you are willing to accept those types of jobs, for the small amount they are paid, go ahead, no one is stopping you. To say they are "stealing our jobs" is simply incorrect and silly. American workers have become so lazy they will not even come to jobs that are easy, and they can't stay off of their damn cell phones long enough to actually get any work done.

"Stealing our jobs", yeah, right !

Just what are these jobs that Americans are refusing to do and who do you think were doing those jobs for a fair wage before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border?

As for picking crops only 2% of illegals are doing those jobs and for those jobs there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign workers as it's not a career job and is only seasonal work. So you were saying?

Americans have always done landscaping, construction, hotel, restaurant work and all other blue-collared jobs. So yes, they along with their greedy employers are taking jobs from Americans. Most Americans are not lazy and will put in an honest day's work. They always have. We didn't become the most successful nation on earth by sitting on our porches sipping tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 08:37 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Employers can't always tell who's an illegal alien. If they're using a fake/stolen ID and SS#, that doesn't always show up on an e-verify or CORI background check. A lot of people have no clue their SS# is being used fraudulently because the IRS won't flag that fraudulent use or let the actual SS# owner know about it.

Oh, and by the way, they use those fake/stolen IDs to enroll in multiple public assistance programs for which they would otherwise be ineligible.

Secret IRS policy hides identity theft from victims - 13 Investigates - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

IRS sent $46 million in tax refunds to an Atlanta address - CBS46 News

And don't you remember how Puerto Rico had to void all the birth certificates they had issued prior to 2010 because so many of them had been used by illegal aliens as fake IDs in the US?

Puerto Rican Birth Certificates Invalid After July 1, 2010 - NBC News

You'll have to come up with a different plan.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 08-30-2017 at 08:45 AM..

Old 08-30-2017, 08:54 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
You want to stop all these illegal aliens from jumping the border? Building a wall isn't going to do a damn thing, just ask the Chinese how well it worked for them. The real way to stop illegals from coming over and "taking our jobs" is to punish the people that are hiring them. Make it to where every undocumented worker found in a person's employ is a 100k fine. Any cost savings they made by hiring them will be offset by the fines, so they will have no motivation to do so. And the illegals will stop coming over because nobody will hire them, as it's too big of a risk, so the demand for them will go down.

Can someone out there offer a cogent argument as to why my solution won't work? I'd really love to hear from these "Build a wall" idiots too and get their two cents on the matter.
I agree with you, but it's not going to happen. The rich have special privliges, and that will never change. For the most part- they are immune from the law.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:42 PM

292 posts, read 244,915 times
Well, Microsoft just came out and said that they will do anything and everything to protect their DACA employees. Keep in mind most of these DACA employees are illegals....still.....currently, right now....having not done one darn thing to get their papers filed to work towards citizenship.

So much for E-verified.....and do think about all the young, skilled highly educated IT professionals let go in recent years by Microsoft and Google....young millennials out of work. Americans, Asians, etc.

Most with excellent reviews and great resumes.....and no, contrary to common BS, these foreigners and DACA plebs are not being paid less....

But, what they will do... the DACA bunch, other gib me dats illegals.....is vote in mass for the party who passes these bills. Use your intellect and figure out who these politicians are.

The average American is paying for this...not the DACA parents, or other people here illegally.

This is, quite honestly...no different than the mass refugee flood going on in Europe...and the European citizens have no say in the matter....be good little citizens, shut your mouth or go to jail....and btw, keep paying your taxes, although you will no longer get the benefits due to you via European laws.

Seems like a type of "genocide"for certain types/classes of people or cultures doesn't it? Slowly...surely.....open your eyes

Old 09-06-2017, 01:13 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,471 times
If an uneducated peasant from a third world country can come to the United States and take your job away you need to take some time reflecting on the horrible choices you have made with your life. I don't have much sympathy for Americans too lazy to take advantage of educational opportunities and the privilege of being born in a wealthy country. If you are competing for jobs with uneducated immigrants, you only have yourself to blame.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:16 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
If an uneducated peasant from a third world country can come to the United States and take your job away you need to take some time reflecting on the horrible choices you have made with your life. I don't have much sympathy for Americans too lazy to take advantage of educational opportunities and the privilege of being born in a wealthy country. If you are competing for jobs with uneducated immigrants, you only have yourself to blame.
Exactly. It's not like illegals are coming here taking upper management positions from people.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:24 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
These greedy employers don't care if these illegal aliens are third world peasants they only care about their bottom line. So it's not about American workers being inferior it's about hiring illegal aliens because they will work for less than a fair wage and it increases their profits while they pass the enormous socials of their illegal workers on to we the taxpayer.

Who do you think were doing all those blue-collared jobs before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border? I don't see that as being ok just as long as they don't take upper management jobs. That's saying that our blue-collared American work force is unimportant. Not everyone is cut out for a white collared desk jockey's job and there in nothing demeaning about an American liking to do blue-collared jobs. So no, they aren't to blame. Who's to blame are the greedy employers, our government for allowing this to happen and the illegals themselves. By the way, illegal aliens aren't "immigrants". Immigrants come here legally.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:37 PM

292 posts, read 244,915 times
Quote:
You are looking at this thru a small mindset.....I am not chiding you on this, just telling you to view the situation thru a broader perspective.

Most of the DACA kids are not uneducated, many graduate from HS, and often go on to pursue college or a skilled trade. And 8 times out of 10 the American taxpayer pays for collège or trade school, regardless of the overall financial situation of the family.

The parents often are not the Mestizos who come in with little to no English or true skill sets, they have the ability to get a decent job in the construction industry, landscaping companies , and creating housekeeping and commercial cleaning service business, as a few such examples. That is the very reason "why" they, if they truly want to assimilate and become productive citizens, should have pursued citizenship. There are many avenues and sources of assistance to help people do this. Many are free.

But, and this is a big issues... those that stay illegal have more access to financial assistance. Also, it is well known that many, not all, but many commit identity crimes...such as using another legal citizens SS numbers, check and credit card fraud, insurance fraud, etc. People who want to become citizens do not pull this crap.

Regarding being a foreigner, immigrant etc,..........bit of a story, and a great eye opener and learning experience.

I am a dual citizen and pursued a M.D and a Ph.D over my 56 yrs on the planet....and I had to pay full rate for my undergrad, at University of Michigan and M.D. My Ph.D was partially funded by the French concern where I was employed at the time.

Interestingly enough, due to a bout with an extremely unusual type of Cancer, the establishment where I was treated asked permission to access my full genetic strand..I said yes, of course, anything to help.

I was always told by relatives that we were American Indian on the French Canadian side of the family, and Hispanic via the German side of the family...as my early Germanic relatives who settled in the southwest had married Hispanic women. There was known Spanish blood on the French- Canadian side.

Well, the genetics did tell the tale, and my relatives were, indeed, correct about all of the above. I actually should have received minority status is college, help in funding my college costs, etc. Had I known, and had proof...which I did not at the time.

My dad was a blue collar worker at a Auto company. We were not wealthy, and my parents offered no financial help with my education. Not uncommon back then.

I did mention to my consultant at U of M about the Spanish/Hispanic ancestry. She kinda snickered and suggested that I do not look Hispanic due to my pale complexion. It should be noted that I have very dark brown wavy hair and brown eyes, My skin is pale, but with a olive tone.

Fast forward:

In the current year, I am involved in médical research. We are always looking for grants and additional funding.

I will keep the story quite elementary, as I do not desire to bring attention to the actual situation. There was some press regarding the situation, some positive, some negative. I was dealing with cancer at the time....and I do not care to revisit those stress levels ever again.

So,
I had mentioned my newly proven ( but always known.) genetic roots to some of my fellow researchers....who jumped with "joy", my God..this would help with additional grants and funding!

Well, another group of researchers ( who were the competitors) heard about this, and demanded proof of authenticity on our part...several of which were Hispanic......

When it came time for those who decide who, what, where and when the funds would be provided...well,most, if not all, were executives who, themselves being minorités, decided in my favor. African Americans, Asians, and Muslim researchers....The Hispanic members voted against the situation...suggesting that I, and our team, made the story up.

They saw the genetic testing ...but were not open minded. It is/was OK for them to play the minority card, but not for others.

BTW, there are several Hispanic researchers on "OUR" team, and it pi$$ed them off quite a bit. Our team demographics looks like the United Nations, and there is a good reason for that..

Why, because everyone has different educational experiences, as well as work experiences from their places of origin...amazing, isn't it?

So the big take away...why were my particuliar genetics helpful to a research group which is already so diverse? Because of what I, individually, was studying. Money for grants /research are based on several criterias, and anything that gives one an added avantage will be used in the situation.

The research was based on certain genetic parameters for a pharmaceutical product. The product has been developed , is successful and does target certain people with certain génotypes. It is a common condition many people suffer from, including Hispanics. Certain genotype metabolize drugs via different metabolic pathways, This product addresses that issue.

Last edited by Celiene61; 09-06-2017 at 02:47 PM..

Old 09-06-2017, 03:42 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,423 times
Quote:
As another poster already pointed out, you seem to look down on blue collar workers, or anybody who's not in a management or white collar type of job. Not everyone can be a manager or work behind a desk, people still need their cars repaired, lawns mowed, roofs fixed, construction done, heating and A/C repaired, etc. This types of jobs are not going away, they are being undercut by these illegal immigrants, which is the fault of businesses and people who hire them under the table without any penalties for doing so. They'll gladly undercut the American worker to save a dollar and don't care about the long term effects. And they're likely the same ones whining about "all these illegals are taking our jobs".

Punish the people hiring them and hold them accountable and the demand for illegal workers WILL go down. Any cost savings they had by hiring them will be offset by the fines they incur for doing so. They will be FORCED to hire American workers and pay them a fair, LEGAL wage (as most of these illegals are paid peanuts under the table.) People will whine and cry because the price of goods and labor will go up, but that's a small price to pay IMO to get the illegals out.

It's the same reason I REFUSE to shop at Walmart, I care more about the long term effects of doing so more than I care about saving a buck, and I'm a VERY frugal person. I'd just much rather give my money to someone who ISN'T undercutting Americans and shipping jobs overseas. I'd rather pay $25 dollars for something at the hardware store than pay $15 for it at Walmart. I can see past just the dollar amount, why can't you people????

It's also the same reason I'm in favor of protectionism instead of free trade. I don't want the market flooded with cheap, Chinese garbage, and I don't want companies to be able to outsource jobs overseas and pay their workers peanuts, only to bring their cheap crap back into this country tax free and pocket the profits. Tariffs need to be put in place to where it's not cost effective to outsource jobs, as the tax penalty will be too great. As I said, prices on goods WILL go up, but we won't have to deal with stores flooded with cheap, disposable ching chong garbage.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:07 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Just what are these jobs that Americans are refusing to do and who do you think were doing those jobs for a fair wage before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border?

As for picking crops only 2% of illegals are doing those jobs and for those jobs there are unlimited H-2A visas for legal, foreign workers as it's not a career job and is only seasonal work. So you were saying?

Americans have always done landscaping, construction, hotel, restaurant work and all other blue-collared jobs. So yes, they along with their greedy employers are taking jobs from Americans. Most Americans are not lazy and will put in an honest day's work. They always have. We didn't become the most successful nation on earth by sitting on our porches sipping tea.
Are there jobs that Americans won't do, of course not!
https://www.numbersusa.com/blog/anot...s-wont-do-myth
https://cis.org/Are-There-Really-Jobs-Americans-Wont-Do

Quote:
We aren't talking about immigrants, we are talking about illegal aliens, primarily of hispanic/latino background. One in every 8 white collar jobs is now held by an illegal alien, do you really think an American citizen would not take a white collar job? 180,000 illegal aliens hold management and professional jobs per this article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...port/70479062/ and this was 2 years ago.

You seem to think that education beyond high school is free. It is not. Many don't get the opportunity and have for decades depended on lower skilled jobs to survive, those jobs taken by those that crawled illegally across the border with their hands out, those that can work for less because we support their kids, cover their emergency medical care including birthing anchor babies!

Wealthy country doesn't extend to all of our citizens. A wealthy country would not have the debt that we have. You can't say you are wealthy if you can't afford to support your family without borrowing money to stay afloat. Geesh, do you think this is 1950? It isn't. Obama dug us deep into a financial hole while extending benefits and jobs that should have went to citizens to illegal aliens, not a win-win for the American people. Of course, Obama never had an agenda to win for the American people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Exactly. It's not like illegals are coming here taking upper management positions from people.
One in every 8 white collar workers is an illegal alien. And, it doesn't matter why they are coming, just like if I rob a bank tomorrow, it doesn't matter why I robbed it, only that I broke the law and will be held accountable because the bank doesn't like me in their pockets anymore than I like illegal aliens in mine!

These people broke our laws and continue to break them while they are here. Send them back. Secure the border and forget about them. Their countries of origin all milk our government for an annual fix from the taxpayers while we have Americans living on the streets and the debt of our country keeps growing.

Poverty rate in my city is 25%. They are turning the city into a 3rd world dump, just like the one they came from. Can't wait for the workplace raids again!

Just say "You're out of here!" Enforce our laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration