Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 02:28 PM

62,727 posts, read 28,935,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Today, many Californians feel ambivalent about illegal immigration. They’re under no delusions about how dependent they’ve become on a phenomenon they used to decry. They don’t really believe that the kid making lattes at Starbucks, the one with all the body piercings, is going to rush out and pick plums in 100-degree heat. And, on the home front, they’ve probably figured out that—when they come home after dark, and the lawn is perfectly manicured—it’s not the work of elves."

Careful What You Wish For: Here’s What California Would Look Like Without Illegal Immigrants:
Careful What You Wish For: Here

I remember what Calif. looked like before the illegal invasion of our state. It was paradise back then now it's a hell hole in many places.

Are you unaware that only 2% of illegals are picking crops and for those jobs there are unlimited visas for legal foreign workers? All other jobs Americans have always done for a fair wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 02:33 PM

42,783 posts, read 26,085,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I remember what Calif. looked like before the illegal invasion of our state. It was paradise back then now it's a hell hole in many places.
Are you unaware that only 2% of illegals are picking crops and for those jobs there are unlimited visas for legal foreign workers? All other jobs Americans have always done for a fair wage.
lol here we go again...It's actually 3%, but the relevant information that you always leave off is that they pick 50% of the crops

Old 09-04-2017, 02:46 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,285,869 times
Always this nonsense. in fact in California any removal of the illegals would result in their replacement by legals who would be vastly more expensive. They would in fact be eligible for all forms of welfare and aid. So CA bill would increase greatly maybe double if the illegals were replaced. There might be some advantage to the south and the rust belt cities but CA would pay through the nose.

And there would be huge social unrest. The Hispanic community would erupt. And Californians would pay that bill as well.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:42 PM

1,059 posts, read 827,494 times
Default Pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
lol here we go again...It's actually 3%, but the relevant information that you always leave off is that they pick 50% of the crops
Huh? Link, please. I grew up in an agriculture area where the braceros picking the crops were here legally and were paid a fair hourly rate (because the companies/farms were required to pay fairly as they went through the federal government's visa program for their foreign workers).

Teen-agers back in the day also picked fruit, walnuts, and the like for extra spending money. I know because I and my schoolmates participated!

Old 09-04-2017, 06:26 PM

26,658 posts, read 26,627,701 times
Most illegals do not work in agriculture — only about 4 percent of the illegal-immigrant population is employed in farming. In no state is farming the predominant occupation of illegal immigrants; even in places such as California, where labor-intensive fruit-and-vegetable farming attracts a relatively large illegal workforce, the main occupations of illegals are in hospitality (restaurants and hotels), services, and transportation.

Illegal Immigration & American Farming: Economic Myths Debunked | National Review

Old 09-04-2017, 08:28 PM

42,783 posts, read 26,085,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Huh? Link, please. I grew up in an agriculture area where the braceros picking the crops were here legally and were paid a fair hourly rate (because the companies/farms were required to pay fairly as they went through the federal government's visa program for their foreign workers).

Teen-agers back in the day also picked fruit, walnuts, and the like for extra spending money. I know because I and my schoolmates participated!
Estimates of the number of farmworkers employed in the United States vary. According to Robert Guenther, senior vice president for public policy for the United Fresh Produce Association, a produce industry trade group, it’s about 1.5 million to 2 million. Of those, a large portion is illegal. Again, estimates vary, but Guenther puts it at 50 to 70 percent, a wide range. The Department of Labor, in its National Agricultural Workers Survey , puts it at 46 percent. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.77e11b1e8514

It looks CA4Now already posted a link for the % of undocumented people who work in agriculture so there's no point in my repeating that.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:56 PM

16,403 posts, read 8,482,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
How when many work off the books?
Exactly

"They pay taxes" is common for the liberal apologists, but when pressed they know income and property taxes are not being paid.
Instead they pay sales taxes is the only thing they can cling to when challenged.
Big deal, as it is not even close to what benefits they receive from local, state and federal American tax paying citizens.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:53 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,256,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And a large number pay taxes without ever receiving a penny back
  • Stephen Goss, the chief actuary of the Social Security Administration, estimates that about 1.8 million immigrants were working with fake or stolen Social Security cards in 2010...he calculates that undocumented immigrants paid $13 billion into the retirement trust fund that year
  • The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, a Washington, D.C., think tank, estimates that about half of undocumented workers in the United States pay income taxes. They also help fund public schools and local government services by paying sales and property taxes like any other resident. This added up to about $10.6 billion in state and local taxes in 2010, according to an analysis by the institute.
  • In 2010, about 3 million people paid over $870 million in income taxes using an ITIN, and according to the IRS, ITIN filers pay $9 billion in payroll taxes annually. (The IRS says it does not share ITIN information with immigration authorities.)
https://www.theatlantic.com/business...-taxes/499604/

PS The issue with undocumented people receiving EITC, that is something that could be fixed quickly if Congress wanted to change it. All they would have to do is prohibit EITC to anyone who files with an ITIN rather than a SSN. Maybe you should contact your congressional rep and ask them why they haven't done that
I don't care if they put in more (which I doubt). They're illegal and need to go.

I have called and emailed my congressional reps about all of this. They couldn't care less. The democrats are worthless because they want more potential voters who are poor and less educated to exploit. The republicans are worthless because their masters (corporate America) wants to exploit them for cheap labor. Both parties are worthless.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:30 PM

62,727 posts, read 28,935,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Exactly

"They pay taxes" is common for the liberal apologists, but when pressed they know income and property taxes are not being paid.
Instead they pay sales taxes is the only thing they can cling to when challenged.
Big deal, as it is not even close to what benefits they receive from local, state and federal American tax paying citizens.

You're correct. Here are just a few links denoting the net fiscal burden that they are.

Illegal Immigration a $113 Billion a Year Drain on U.S. Taxpayers

Most Illegal Immigrant Families Collect Welfare - Judicial Watch

Tax Credits for Illegal Immigrants - FactCheck.org

Old 09-04-2017, 10:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,801,219 times
I hear they could use a few extra billion over Houston way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration