Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 09:29 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They did have control over it once they were adults, but took NO steps to correct their KNOWN status as illegal aliens.

Therefore... DEPORT.
No, you're wrong. They DID take steps towards correct their status.

They did that by applying for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 10:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
I have no problem with Trump closing the DACA program for new applicants. I also have no problem with him deporting illegal DACA parents if he wants to. But to bait and switch on these people who relied on the program to their detriment is a really ****ty thing to do. Hey, thanks for registering yourselves for deportation. It's deceitfulness and far more nefariously intentional than a kid brought here at age 2 with absolutely no guilt. If Trump really tries to deport these kids, he will go down in history as the slimiest most conniving and depraved SOB in modern history. I wouldn't put it past him to try but he'll get yanked back down to reality by the courts soon enough. The law doesn't look highly upon slithering snakes.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:21 AM

89,009 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post

They did that by applying for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.
Incorrect. DACA is "policy," NOT law, and does not make them legal permanent resident aliens. They're still illegal aliens. They should have taken steps to immigrate legally. They did not.

Deport them.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I have no problem with Trump closing the DACA program for new applicants. I also have no problem with him deporting illegal DACA parents if he wants to. But to bait and switch on these people who relied on the program to their detriment is a really ****ty thing to do.
Ask Obama, Pelosi, and Reid why they declined to make DACA federal law instead of just "policy."

As ****ty as you think it is, I'm sure there are many US citizens who think it's ****ty that they've been found guilty of violating federal law and have been penalized for doing so, while illegal aliens openly flaunt violating federal law and get away with it.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:31 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,876 times
Wow Such a huge percentage here voice their opinion in one direction.

All except RosieSD.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Federal Law actually matters. Can I rob a bank, keep what I've stolen, and get away with it even though government officials know I did it? No.

See what I mean?

Old 09-02-2017, 06:52 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:

All except RosieSD.
"Here" being the operative word. (Actually several of us share her opinion.)

Old 09-02-2017, 07:04 AM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post

It was a temporary program. TEMPORARY. Google the term!

Quote:
I have no problem with Trump closing the DACA program for new applicants. I also have no problem with him deporting illegal DACA parents if he wants to. But to bait and switch on these people who relied on the program to their detriment is a really ****ty thing to do. Hey, thanks for registering yourselves for deportation. It's deceitfulness and far more nefariously intentional than a kid brought here at age 2 with absolutely no guilt. If Trump really tries to deport these kids, he will go down in history as the slimiest most conniving and depraved SOB in modern history. I wouldn't put it past him to try but he'll get yanked back down to reality by the courts soon enough. The law doesn't look highly upon slithering snakes.
True, "the law doesn't look highly upon slithering snakes" illegal aliens that have come into our country, that is why it is important that we enforce our laws to let others like them know to steer clear of the US unless you plan to abide by our laws! We are going to deport the whole illegal family to keep those families together. We elected Trump to allow ICE to do their job. If they were so dumb to be living outside the law and go and give their personal information to the government................. IT WAS A TEMPORARY STATUS ONLY, most of these people were educated on the taxpayers dollars here, I would think if they didn't understand what TEMPORARY meant that they could have looked it up!

Quote:
Incorrect. DACA is "policy," NOT law, and does not make them legal permanent resident aliens. They're still illegal aliens. They should have taken steps to immigrate legally. They did not.

Deport them.
It appears that basic English skills are lacking! TEMPORARY is a pretty basic term in our language. All this fuss just shows that we should waste no time and not try to create "special" groups and just get the job done.

Quote:

All except RosieSD.
Well, most American citizens now informed about the costs and the crimes of illegal aliens support just enforcing the law and being done with it. You are going to have illegal aliens, illegal aliens supporters (many of them exploit the illegal aliens either on-the-job, rentals of slums, immigration attorneys, etc.) and a handful of others who simply are yet to be informed about the issues that will support illegal aliens being a special class that should be held above the law. Happily, they are a small minority and probably don't support many of our other laws.

Quote:
Federal Law actually matters. Can I rob a bank, keep what I've stolen, and get away with it even though government officials know I did it? No.

See what I mean?
Can you get away with it? Not as a citizen. And, if you have kids and think being separated from them will keep you out of prison, ask the millions of US citizens in prison now serving time. When it comes to US citizens, we don't reward their children if the parents broke our laws.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:54 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I have known many illegal aliens, I even married one from England. I have nothing against them personally. However, you can't ask a question like this and exclude the cost to taxpayers, you are avoiding the biggest issue. My question for you would be, " What do you have against American citizens that you would happily deny them the government assistance that would be available if we weren't supporting people who broke into the country"?
Oh, no, we all know the costs to taxpayers on the BIG scale. How could we not, given all these threads about it?

I asked those questions to get a sense of the small scale. How the people posting here have been PERSONALLY affected by illegal aliens.

Because if we are going to protect American citizens, we need to understand the personal and individual costs to them, as well as the big picture.

As I said, I live right by the border with Mexico and back in the 1990s, had people crossing my property every night and incurred costs as a result.

I have also worked as a school counselor so I have personally met and talked with many of these students and their parents.

Although I don't in any way condone illegal immigration, actually meeting people face to face and talking to them convinced me that this is a much more complex situation than some might understand. For instance, many of my students did not even know they were undocumented until it came time to apply to college, for a job, or for a driver's license. Their parents had never told them; they grew up believing that they were here legally. That was an eye opener for me. As was talking face to face with their parents about the reasons they did what they did. As a parent myself, I began to see the situation a little differently after talking to these parents. I also began to have different insights about how people come to America. As I said above, this didn't change my mind about opening the floodgates to every illegal immigrant; I still don't condone illegal immigration. But, it did make me realize that this is a large issue made up of many individual stories.

So, I am curious to know how many people here actually have ever talked to an illegal alien personally. Perhaps you know someone at your church who is illegal, or your child has a friend at school, or your next door neighbor? Or perhaps, as you say, you even married someone who is illegal.

And, just to reiterate: I do not condone illegal immigration.

Last edited by RosieSD; 09-02-2017 at 09:05 AM..

Old 09-02-2017, 08:59 AM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:

Obama had no right to do what he did so no, it's not bait and switch. It was to only be a temporary stay of deportation anyway. Most of the DACA's aren't kids. They are full grown adults who were responsible for their own status once they reached 18 1/2.
No, if Trump does the right thing by our own citizens which is to rescind DACA he'll be a hero. The law is set in stone. It doesn't change because of any perceived personalities or any perceived injustices. It's strictly about what our laws state, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration