Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 12:00 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
OK - so DACA aside, let's say there is an immigrant who is here legally with a permanent resident card (green card). Are you suggesting that if that person was to get a parking ticket that they should be subject to deportation?
That person is not an illegal alien. HUGE difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 12:03 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That person is not an illegal alien. HUGE difference.
Yes but we are discussing the hypothetical scenario where DACA recipients are given permanent legal status, so it should then be no different than someone who has a green card. Once legalized there is no chance they would be given less privileges and rights, nor would they be considered a 2nd class citizen. It's gotta be all or nothing.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The ruling does not cite the residency as a causal. Merely a side observation.
Completely incorrect:

"The evident intention, and the necessary effect, of the submission of this case to the decision of the court upon the facts agreed by the parties were to present for determination the single question stated at the beginning of this opinion, namely, whether a child born in the United States, of parent of Chinese descent, who, at the time of his birth, are subjects of the Emperor of China, but have a permanent domicil and residence in the United States, and are there carrying on business, and are not employed in any diplomatic or official capacity under the Emperor of China, becomes at the time of his birth a citizen of the United States. For the reasons above stated, this court is of opinion that the question must be answered in the affirmative."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/169/649

Are US-born children of permanent resident aliens US citizens? Yes.

Are the US-born children of any other foreigners US citizens? No. If they were 14th Amendment citizens, Wong Kim Ark would have been considered to be one instead of having the case wend its way through the court system and all the way to the Supreme Court.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Yes but we are discussing the hypothetical scenario where DACA recipients are given permanent legal status, so it should then be no different than someone who has a green card. Once legalized there is no chance they would be given less privileges and rights, nor would they be considered a 2nd class citizen. It's gotta be all or nothing.
Won't happen. Asking for special favors for illegal aliens is particularly bad optics for the foreseeable future as millions of US citizens and LEGAL immigrants have been hit hard by Harvey and Irma. Helping those US citizens and legal immigrants must be the priority.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:37 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Won't happen. Asking for special favors for illegal aliens is particularly bad optics for the foreseeable future as millions of US citizens and LEGAL immigrants have been hit hard by Harvey and Irma. Helping those US citizens and legal immigrants must be the priority.
Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see what Congress and Pres Trump decide. I'm still predicting they will agree on legislation that gives them a pathway to citizenship and includes additional funding for border protection.

By the way, how's the weather in Moscow?

Old 09-11-2017, 12:40 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
They wouldn't be considered a 2nd class citizen or any other degree of a citizen just because they have permanent legal status, so it would be no different than someone who has a green card. A legal immigrant/green card recipient IS NOT A US CITIZEN, and there can be several grounds for deportability:

Grounds of Deportability: When Legal U.S. Residents Can Be Removed | Nolo.com

And, I choose "NOTHING" as that is what they deserve and what the law provides for them, "NOTHING".

"Google" can be your friend when attempting to get reliable info, I would not rely on liberal media.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:57 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
OK - so DACA aside, let's say there is an immigrant who is here legally with a permanent resident card (green card). Are you suggesting that if that person was to get a parking ticket that they should be subject to deportation?

To my knowledge, a legal immigrant who gets a parking ticket isn't subject to deportation nor should they be.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see what Congress and Pres Trump decide. I'm still predicting they will agree on legislation that gives them a pathway to citizenship and includes additional funding for border protection.

By the way, how's the weather in Moscow?
What is your obsession with Russia? That makes about as much sense as you thinking Congress will legalize DACAs when the millions of US citizens and LEGAL immigrants who've been slammed by Harvey and Irma need to be helped, first.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:10 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
To my knowledge, a legal immigrant who gets a parking ticket isn't subject to deportation nor should they be.
I provided a link above so that he can go and see under what grounds a non-citizen can be deported, there are many. I am not sure with those who don't understand the difference between a citizen and a non-citizen as to how we can ever effectively communicate with them. I have suggested "googling" to help clear up misconceptions.

What is so bad for illegal aliens is that many people speak about it that don't have a clue and end up misinforming and making it more difficult for the illegal aliens who follow what they say. Remember that clip of the illegal alien driving without a license and how the girlfriend was going off about how they couldn't ask about his immigration status, which they can in TX when stopped for an infraction? Seems their worst enemies turn out to be the ones that think they are supporting "the cause".

Old 09-11-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I provided a link above so that he can go and see under what grounds a non-citizen can be deported, there are many. I am not sure with those who don't understand the difference between a citizen and a non-citizen as to how we can ever effectively communicate with them. I have suggested "googling" to help clear up misconceptions.

What is so bad for illegal aliens is that many people speak about it that don't have a clue and end up misinforming and making it more difficult for the illegal aliens who follow what they say. Remember that clip of the illegal alien driving without a license and how the girlfriend was going off about how they couldn't ask about his immigration status, which they can in TX when stopped for an infraction? Seems their worst enemies turn out to be the ones that think they are supporting "the cause".
Oh, even better, she INSISTED "We're good people! We work hard!" When two contradictions to both of those declarations were immediately obvious.

1) The illegal alien was driving without a license.

2) He can't be a "hard worker" when he isn't even legally permitted to work in the US at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration