Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:27 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
Ok but that wasn't the point
That actually IS the point.

HOW many years has she knowingly been violating Federal Immigration Law? Hmmm...???

She's already shown a willing intent to violate laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 03:29 PM

127 posts, read 101,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Mexico is a large country, it not being safe where she lived is not a good reason, she could go to an area where westerners live or visit, and the skills she picked up in the U.S. would no doubt help her to earn a decent living there, then you or she could apply for her to come back as a wife legally and since walking across the boarder to Mexico does not seem to be a problem for most to do, that might be a way to leave quietly.

What confuses me the most about all the illegals from down south, why don't they have enough pride in their own countries to want to go back and make it a better country for all the rest of their people, so that no one has to go anywhere illegally and so many do not have to die or be used and abused making the trip to the U.S. I continually see people waving Mexico's flag while protesting, it seems that they only love to rub it into Americas face and maybe do not love their own country as much as they pretend to.
I agree. It's not as if White people are the only people capable of creating civilization. Mexico shouldn't be any worse off compared to the United States than Canada is.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 605,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That actually IS the point.

HOW many years has she knowingly been violating Federal Immigration Law? Hmmm...???

Ok? My point was that the response of return home and get a proper visa has some holes in it.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:15 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
Ok? My point was that the response of return home and get a proper visa has some holes in it.
Yeah, because she has knowingly been violating Federal Immigration Law for years.

That's on her.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:02 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
My wife is from the Dominican Republic. Her first cousin Rachael came to the U.S. Illegally, (she assumed the identity of her sister, who had a valid visa, and then overstayed.) She met an awesome guy and got married. They decided to have her return to the Dominican Republic and then apply to come back. It did take her awhile, because her home country had her do some things first before they would even give her a passport (allot of this was tax related, they wanted to make sure she paid any taxes owed to them, on any income she earned in the U.S., she also had to get a driver's license, etc.) Once she got that taken care of, she applied for a VISA as a spouse of a U.S. citizen. It took her a little over a year to get the approval, and she is now happily in the U.S.

Sometimes, the right way may be a little more painful, but the result is better. She now has permanent resident status, and never has to worry about this again. She should contact the Mexican Consulate to find out what they are going to require her to do upon her return, in order for them to issue a passport.
It's tough for me to respond to these kinds of threads because I was a legal immigrant (now American citizen) so jumped through all the hoops the feds needed me to jump through. But a couple of thoughts:

1. Reading about others' experiences is a good start, and a good way to get different ideas, but please take all advice from anonymous posters on an anonymous message board (and that includes mine) with a grain of salt. That's not meant to denigrate the previous responses but your issue is complex.

2. You are currently meeting with a few different lawyers and have just spent the past few years wasting time (and presumably money) with an "immigration agency". How do you find a good lawyer who can truly help with your situation? I don't have an answer for that. Given the current climate re: illegals in this country right now, I would be willing to bet that there are plenty of "immigration agencies" and immigration lawyers popping up like dandelions, who are more than willing to take the money handed over by desperate illegals who can afford such services. Many of those same illegals will find themselves in the position you are now in - poorer with three years wasted, and no closer to the solution you seek.

3. Out of everything I've read in this thread, this highlighted paragraph in the quote above is the one that most struck home with me. My gut tells me two things. a) contacting ICE, coming clean with your wife's situation and asking how to make this right is the the best policy b) most illegals won't do that. I don't know if your wife is "most illegals" or not.

There is peace of mind acquired by making this right. By being here legally. By not having to use a SSN that was bought somewhere. By not having to look over her shoulder, not having to hide who and what she is, not having to wonder when and how it's all going to fall apart.

4. Your wife is in this position partly because she was brought here illegally as a young child (so had no say in the matter) and partly because (as an adult) she has made the conscious decision time and again over the course of many years to ignore what she should not have ignored. And now here we are.

5. I encourage you and your wife to make the hard decisions, do the hard work and make whatever sacrifices you need to make in the short term, in order to make this right. She (and you) will not regret it.

Best of luck to you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration