Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:10 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
Yes...and this was during the time when women weren't allow to vote. And yes, when blacks had to drink from different fountains, use seperate bathrooms and not allowed in "white only" business'.

So you think everyone was being treated the same...everyone was being treated equally...with Liberty and Justice.
Give me a break.
For the record; Yours Truly here would have had problems 80 years in certain cities of the USA for being half Hungarian--------Eastern Europeans were discriminated against as well.

Oh well.

All races/ethnicities have been dumped on at one time or another throughout history.

Re: Latin America------White supremacy is alive and well. The standard of beauty in at least Mexico and Spain is white skin and blue eyes.

Telenovelas never seem to have Mestizos let alone Indians in leading roles------they are reserved for Hispanics of White European (looking) heritage.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 PM

558 posts, read 385,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
For the record; Yours Truly here would have had problems 80 years in certain cities of the USA for being half Hungarian--------Eastern Europeans were discriminated against as well.

Oh well.

All races/ethnicities have been dumped on at one time or another throughout history.

Re: Latin America------White supremacy is alive and well. The standard of beauty in at least Mexico and Spain is white skin and blue eyes.

Telenovelas never seem to have Mestizos let alone Indians in leading roles------they are reserved for Hispanics of White European (looking) heritage.
Nice comment. You only prove the point that people who are obessed with illegal immigration are racists. Thanks for proving that with you comment and for your honestly.
Proves my point I give up...this was way too easy.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,631 times
Quote:
You were quoting a man who live in a different time and era then we do, to make a point about being American. It was just a bad choice and left you open for a rebuttal.
Wait a minute, so you don't think:
  • Immigrants should learn English
  • Immigrants should not assimilate
  • Immigrants should be loyal to America
Teddy has it all right, your the one who has it wrong. There should not be any divided allegiance, no hyphen!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:18 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Nice comment. You only prove the point that people who are obessed with illegal immigration are racists. Thanks for proving that with you comment and for your honestly.
Proves my point I give up...this was way too easy.
What are you talking about?

At no time did I disparage so-called 'Hispanics' or any other race/ethnicity in my prior post.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Wait a minute, so you don't think:
  • Immigrants should learn English
  • Immigrants should not assimilate
  • Immigrants should be loyal to America
Teddy has it all right, your the one who has it wrong. There should not be any divided allegiance, no hyphen!
Oh God. When did you ever ask me of my opinion? Now that you have asked a question, I'll be more than happy to answer.

You seem to think that being American is a race. You kinda sound like those supremacy groups. You're American, we know that - what do you want, a medal? You all need to take it easy.

Second, to answer your question:

1. Yes, immigrants should learn English.
2. Assimilate? That's a very board word. If you mean, know the laws of the land. Know why 4th of July is celebrated, who is the President of the United States, who was the 1st President, know the levels of gov't from congress to the President and Supreme court, to know the national anthem and pledge of allegiance, know what a Starbucks is? Sure. But not cook their ethnic foods, pratice their religion, not speak in their native tongue, not celebrate their culture and be proud of who they are...no.
3.Of course they should be loyal to America. That was never the arguement. The vast majority of immigrants are eternally grateful for the opportunities this country has provided them. So the vast majority are as loyal as many Americans are.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Oh God. When did you ever ask me of my opinion? Now that you have asked a question, I'll be more than happy to answer.

You seem to think that being American is a race. You kinda sound like those supremacy groups. You're American, we know that - what do you want, a medal? You all need to take it easy.

Second, to answer your question:

1. Yes, immigrants should learn English.
2. Assimilate? That's a very board word. If you mean, know the laws of the land. Know why 4th of July is celebrated, who is the President of the United States, who was the 1st President, know the levels of gov't from congress to the President and Supreme court, to know the national anthem and pledge of allegiance, know what a Starbucks is? Sure. But not cook their ethnic foods, pratice their religion, not speak in their native tongue, not celebrate their culture and be proud of who they are...no.
3.Of course they should be loyal to America. That was never the agruement. The vast majority of immigrants are eternally grateful for the opportunities this country has provided them. So the vast majority are as loyal as many Americans are.
First, you accuse me of being an [Moderator Cut: Foreign Language] for calling myself an American and now your calling me a racist because I'm an American? Wow, you have some issues you need to work out.

Last edited by madicarus2000; 03-19-2008 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: English is the only language permitted on City Data forums.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
First, you accuse me of being an [Moderator Cut: Foreign Language]for calling myself an American and now your calling me a racist because I'm an American? Wow, you have some issues you need to work out.
Dude...you are a Hispanic who thinks his last name is Smith or Adams, or Jones.

You don't even speak of your culture or background...you're so hung on being this American. Dude, you are first generation. It's ok to be proud, but don't act like you have an English last name or something? My family has done more for this country than yours and you don't see me denying my roots because I'm AMERICAN. I know I am. But I am who I am because of my background. You got issues dude. Hope you can deal with it. Maybe you should move to New York, Houston, or Miami. Somewhere where diversity is appreciated, so you can feel proud of being something other than just American.

Last edited by madicarus2000; 03-19-2008 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: edited referenced post

Old 03-19-2008, 09:46 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,246 times
I think the 'issues' are coming from you, Mr. Herrera....

Old 03-19-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I think the 'issues' are coming from you, Mr. Herrera....
[Moderator Cut: Inappropriate comments]Because only people who feel threaten by an illegal immigrant would be so passionate about them. They been here for decades, now its a HUGE problem. OK, I'll accept that. What is it? Is your job being threaten by an illegal immigrant. Since you have a job and not a career, you live in an immigrant neighborhood and feel.."I'm American...these people should all leave!"...because they remind you that you never became the professional you could've have been if you would've received an education?

No...and I can go on and on. But it's getting late. You and a couple of others here have the issues and it's apparent in your posts. Instead of [Moderator Cut: Language] about it, go sign up for some courses at your local college and start getting your life on track. You seem pretty smart. You know how to google up facts and stuff.

Good Luck.

Last edited by madicarus2000; 03-19-2008 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate comments

Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Dude...you are a Hispanic who thinks his last name is Smith or Adams, or Jones.

You don't even speak of your culture or background...you're so hung on being this American. Dude, you are first generation. It's ok to be proud, but don't act like you have an English last name or something? My family has done more for this country than yours and you don't see me denying my roots because I'm AMERICAN. I know I am. But I am who I am because of my background. You got issues dude. Hope you can deal with it. Maybe you should move to New York, Houston, or Miami. Somewhere where diversity is appreciated, so you can feel proud of being something other than just American.
Hispanic is a term adopted by the U.S government to label Latin Americans living in the U.S. I reject that term. I've heard your post before, except verbally. Oh yes, they called me "White Washed". Who's being racist now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration