U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 07:53 AM

630 posts, read 980,198 times

Advertisements

OK, this is just something I've been wondering about.

When a city (or a state) decides to be a sanctuary city (or state), doesn't Federal law supersede state law?
If it does, the Governor or Mayor is breaking Federal law, yes? Why doesn't the Federal government arrest them and any state official going along with breaking the law.

Am I missing something? I'd really like to understand how they states/cities can choose which laws to follow and which laws to ignore. We can't choose, why can they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 12:42 PM

12,553 posts, read 18,926,430 times
The Feds have been looking the other way for a long time. Nothing new.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:39 PM

4,675 posts, read 4,013,149 times
There's no way of punishing them because they're not breaking laws and they're not employees of the federal government.

Ask the federal-level ICE why they don't oust illegal immigrants, because as far as I know there's nothing stopping them from doing raids in so-called sanctuary cities. They're also much better-equipped for it vs local police. Look at Joe Arpaio's unconstitutional crackdowns in Phoenix.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:50 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
ICE does raid sanctuary cities, not while Obama was in power, but now they do:

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/im...rested-n805796

Old 11-16-2017, 09:20 AM

3,717 posts, read 4,494,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post

Am I missing something? I'd really like to understand how they states/cities can choose which laws to follow and which laws to ignore. We can't choose, why can they?

Not until some big celebrity or politician is effected by someone in this country
who is Illegal don't expect any changes

Sadly to many laws have become political ( The 9th circuit ) comes to mind
as instead of enforcing laws they have a ' Misguided ' idea of interpenetrating

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand,
no explanation will ever possible.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:21 PM

9,792 posts, read 7,106,581 times
I think it is ridiculous that any state, city or town would be Ok with sheltering illegal aliens from ICE and that the people would be Ok with having people live in limbo where they are not beholding to the laws of the land.

I think Trump should have a new reality show, a cross between "Cops" and "Law and Order" where the host goes to cities to confront the mayor, the Governor and anyone else that shelters trespassers. They are asked if they will follow federal immigration laws and if they say yes we have follow ups in later shows to see how they are doing. If they say no then they are arrested and the show follows them through the legal process. The show could also highlight the crimes and the victims that are hurt by illegal aliens that have been allowed to stay.
I think it would be a hit and it would show the ugly side of the illegal immigrants and prove that they are not all the dreamers and future valedictorians that the media tells us they are.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:15 PM

1,125 posts, read 448,924 times
Sanctuary cities/ states don't help anyone except illegals...you would think law enforcement would want to protect their communities and get that sweet overtime for any additional hours worked holding them for ICE. Instead of letting them go... But the Looney left defies logic.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:26 PM

630 posts, read 980,198 times
I still think it's absolutely outrageous that they can follow whatever laws they choose to follow.

When the comment is made "that only criminal immigrants will be turned over to ICE", it makes me crazy.
First, by being here they've already broken the law. So they deport the criminal and the next day he's back over the border.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:51 PM

4,675 posts, read 4,013,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
I still think it's absolutely outrageous that they can follow whatever laws they choose to follow.
It's about priorities. Police departments don't have unlimited money and unlimited time to do whatever the federal government wants them to do. They don't even have enough resources to enforce a lot of small quality of life crimes. If they're not getting paid to round up illegal immigrants why should they go out of their way to do it? Like I said, there's already a three letter agency in charge of it that are experts, they can send their people to do something about it. I'm not even that comfortable with local police taking on federal government roles, i.e. playing ATF and doing weapons stings.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:24 AM

964 posts, read 249,492 times
How are undocumented illegals impacting your lives? What damage, harm, financial hardship can you show that has been directly caused by an illegal?
We have illegals here from India, China, Central America, etc... Nobody talks about them. It's always Mexicans.
There's no way to make a blind person see, and there's no way to make the villagers stop and think. Everyone operates on gossip, second hand news, and arrogance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or