Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 06:08 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Why is it amazing? Genuinely. Why?

Have you not realized this whole thing is smoke and mirrors. There are illegals here because we create a market for them. We have companies that hire them, people that need them, and simple economics tells you supply and demand. You want to fix illegal immigration, make us want to part with our cash so we buy with local labor. The problem is the vast, vast majority of Americans don't give a flying fig, as long as it's cheap and they can get it.
As they say...Money walks, bs builds walls in the middle of the desert.

I disagree. Most Americans do not hire illegal aliens just some greedy employers do. They are the ones who create a market for them along with our government who has been lax in enforcing our immigration laws. Another thing is that the illegals are just as guilty as the employers. No one is forcing them to break the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 09:35 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I disagree. Most Americans do not hire illegal aliens just some greedy employers do. They are the ones who create a market for them along with our government who has been lax in enforcing our immigration laws. Another thing is that the illegals are just as guilty as the employers. No one is forcing them to break the law.
I know I didn't ask the status of the guys cutting my grass. Nor do I care. Not only that, you support it by demanding lower prices (we the consumer). No one will buy strawberries for $9 a pound or a $4 head of lettuce.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:30 AM

22,469 posts, read 11,986,290 times
Quote:
I know I didn't ask the status of the guys cutting my grass. Nor do I care. Not only that, you support it by demanding lower prices (we the consumer). No one will buy strawberries for $9 a pound or a $4 head of lettuce.
And strawberries won't cost $9/lb. Nor will lettuce be $4 per head. Farmers have a guest worker program available to them that has no caps on it. The farmers who obey the law and use guest workers aren't charging more for their produce than what the sleazy farmers who refuse to use the program charge.

You don't ask the status of the guys cutting your grass? You should check the laws in your state. In my state if someone who isn't licensed and insured gets injured while doing work on your property, your homeowners insurance won't pay for it. Plus don't think if an illegal is injured while working on your property that s/he won't sue you---they will as there are many pro-illegal lawyers who will gladly work pro bono to help them.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:

I don't or wouldn't demand lower prices by advocating for illegal activity nor should any law abiding American. Illegal aliens don't save us any money anyway. Their greedy employers just pass their enormous social costs on to we the taxpayer to the tune of over $100 billion a year. Only 2% of illegal aliens are picking crops and for those jobs there are unlimited visas for legal workers. So no, prices would not go way up without illegal aliens in that industry either. The growers are just pocketing the profits from them.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You don't ask the status of the guys cutting your grass? You should check the laws in your state. In my state if someone who isn't licensed and insured gets injured while doing work on your property, your homeowners insurance won't pay for it. Plus don't think if an illegal is injured while working on your property that s/he won't sue you---they will as there are many pro-illegal lawyers who will gladly work pro bono to help them.
Texas. No liability unless an unreasonable risk exists that they weren't informed of. Also Texas landowners are not liable for anyone injured or killed while committing illegal activity on their land.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:14 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Using myths to try to justify illegal activity!

Per this article: https://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblo...-food-prices/#

"An average household currently spends about $370 per year on fruits and vegetables. If curtailing illegal alien agricultural labor caused tighter labor conditions and a 40 percent increase in wages, the increased cost to the American family would be $9 a year, or about 2.5 cents per day. Yet for the farm laborer, the change would mean an increase in earnings from $17,600 to $24,640 per 2000-hour work year. That increase would move the worker from beneath the federal poverty line to above it. In fact, the salary would be higher than the median salary paid by Walmart."

And, Illegal Immigration & American Farming: Economic Myths Debunked | National Review

This info should be a "sticky" considering how many illegal alien sympathizers have tried to pass this off when there was no merit in such figures.

Of course, if we figure the cost of the $135 billion they suck down in welfare benefits, emergency medical, using false documents to draw benefits they aren't entitled to.......... http://jobsback.com/could-we-afford-...illegal-labor/

Old 12-12-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Using myths to try to justify illegal activity!

Per this article: https://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblo...-food-prices/#

"An average household currently spends about $370 per year on fruits and vegetables. If curtailing illegal alien agricultural labor caused tighter labor conditions and a 40 percent increase in wages, the increased cost to the American family would be $9 a year, or about 2.5 cents per day. Yet for the farm laborer, the change would mean an increase in earnings from $17,600 to $24,640 per 2000-hour work year. That increase would move the worker from beneath the federal poverty line to above it. In fact, the salary would be higher than the median salary paid by Walmart."

And, Illegal Immigration & American Farming: Economic Myths Debunked | National Review

This info should be a "sticky" considering how many illegal alien sympathizers have tried to pass this off when there was no merit in such figures.

Of course, if we figure the cost of the $135 billion they suck down in welfare benefits, emergency medical, using false documents to draw benefits they aren't entitled to.......... Could we afford to buy food, without cheap illegal labor? | Jobs Back (JobsBack.com)
You should read the last paragraph of your article with as much fervor you do the stuff that creates your echo chamber.

"There are many good arguments for taking a more liberal approach to immigration than we do."

Old 12-12-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
You should read the last paragraph of your article with as much fervor you do the stuff that creates your echo chamber.

"There are many good arguments for taking a more liberal approach to immigration than we do."
No problem with immigration, just ILLEGAL immigration, which really isn't immigration but the raping of our immigration laws.

I have noticed many are now felons that are being exported to their country of origin. So many murderers and rapists have been apprehended lately. Still working on the highest priorities, but catching a few others as a bonus!

Old 12-12-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:

You left this part out...

"But there isn’t a good argument for maintaining a restrictive immigration system on paper while maintaining lawlessness in practice because we’re terrified of sparking a . . . national cantaloupe crisis".

We don't have a restrictive immigration system in agriculture. There are unlimited visas for legal, foreign ag workers. Also, illegal immigration isn't "immigration". We allow in 1 million legal immigrants a year in keeping with our ability to provide them with jobs and resources without it negatively impacting our own citizens. If we became less restrictive that would negate that sane policy.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You left this part out...

"But there isn’t a good argument for maintaining a restrictive immigration system on paper while maintaining lawlessness in practice because we’re terrified of sparking a . . . national cantaloupe crisis".

We don't have a restrictive immigration system in agriculture. There are unlimited visas for legal, foreign ag workers. Also, illegal immigration isn't "immigration". We allow in 1 million legal immigrants a year in keeping with our ability to provide them with jobs and resources without it negatively impacting our own citizens. If we became less restrictive that would negate that sane policy.
That's all that was left to cling to. I suppose I could go through explaining about agricultural visas, the unlimited number available, but those that support lawlessness generally don't have an interest in such things.

Most are exploiters and not sympathizers, therefore, seeing them brought in on temp visas would mean they couldn't exploit them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration