U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 01:41 AM

11,999 posts, read 3,306,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
If the southern states want a wall, then they should pay for it. Why should the rest of us pay.
Well I'm "the rest of us". My state is northern and bordering Canada and is still flooded with latin Americans and drugs from there. I WANT the wall even if Mexico doesn't pay for it someway. I want the wall out of principle even if I were to move to say Mexico or China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 01:52 AM

11,999 posts, read 3,306,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camila Cabello fan View Post
You should move to Poland.
How long will Poland be able to resist before being forced to multiculturalize by the globalist? But who knows Eastern Europe might end up the only rising star while the west goes to pot.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:48 AM

3,043 posts, read 1,184,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
https://nypost.com/2018/01/13/we-alr...-and-it-works/

Great to see huge reductions in crime there, via a Big, Beautiful wall.
Walls have been proven effective for centuries....China now markets tourism of their Great Wall of China....I've been there several times, it's cool.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:49 AM

6,934 posts, read 3,022,021 times
Quote:
If the southern states want a wall, then they should pay for it. Why should the rest of us pay.
Both GOP and Dem Congress members in districts on the border are AGAINST the wall. We should listen to them as they are most affected.
No member of Congress along the U.S. border with Mexico wants to fund Trump's border wall

Old 01-15-2018, 07:34 AM

31,654 posts, read 14,607,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Actually, Mexicans hold the highest quotas for legal immigration into our country and family reunifications. It's just that we can't allow them all in. It's not only unfair to the rest of the world who would like to come here but we have no need for unskilled, uneducated and poor immigrants who end up being a burden to us. Immigration should be based on our needs not the immigrant's needs. That doesn't give them the right to come here illegally anyway.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Because border security should concern all of us. Illegal immigration isn't just a negative to the southern states but to every state in the union. Once they get in thru our southern border they spread out all over the country and impact all Americans. Surely you must know this.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:18 AM

11,403 posts, read 7,423,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Actually, Mexicans hold the highest quotas for legal immigration into our country and family reunifications. It's just that we can't allow them all in. It's not only unfair to the rest of the world who would like to come here but we have no need for unskilled, uneducated and poor immigrants who end up being a burden to us. Immigration should be based on our needs not the immigrant's needs. That doesn't give them the right to come here illegally anyway.
I agree except that in order to understand the problem, we need to talk about real numbers. That way, those who say just use the system will be able to participate.

You say Mexicans hold the highest quotas for legal immigration into our country.
But what is that number?.........Currently, no group of permanent immigrants (family-based and employment-based) from a single country can exceed seven percent of the total amount of people immigrating to the United States in a single fiscal year.

And how many people are allowed in during a single year?....The overall numerical limit for permanent employment-based immigrants is 140,000 per year.
So that means Mexico gets 9800 passes a year employment based visas.
The family based immigration, as pointed out in the link, hits closer to 480,000.

Is that enough? I dunno. But I do know that it is pitifully small when compared to the illegals who walk in. In fact, it is so small, that it may as well not exist at all. That's why we need the wall.

My point is, talking about "getting in line" and "using the system" is meaningless. There is no line. It's like a Porta-Potty with 150 people in line.

Build a wall. It's the only way to make our policies and laws stick.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:17 PM

1,868 posts, read 2,419,142 times
Quote:
Same reason I am sure you supported Obama's healthcare for all and I had to pay fines to subsidize those that are poorer and happen to be sick more often than not.

The same reason %50 of the country pay taxes so that others can use entitlements. You're in bed with the rest of us whether you want to be or not.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I agree except that in order to understand the problem, we need to talk about real numbers. That way, those who say just use the system will be able to participate.

You say Mexicans hold the highest quotas for legal immigration into our country.
But what is that number?.........Currently, no group of permanent immigrants (family-based and employment-based) from a single country can exceed seven percent of the total amount of people immigrating to the United States in a single fiscal year.

And how many people are allowed in during a single year?....The overall numerical limit for permanent employment-based immigrants is 140,000 per year.
So that means Mexico gets 9800 passes a year employment based visas.
The family based immigration, as pointed out in the link, hits closer to 480,000.

Is that enough? I dunno. But I do know that it is pitifully small when compared to the illegals who walk in. In fact, it is so small, that it may as well not exist at all. That's why we need the wall.

My point is, talking about "getting in line" and "using the system" is meaningless. There is no line. It's like a Porta-Potty with 150 people in line.

Build a wall. It's the only way to make our policies and laws stick.

It is up to our government to determine how much is enough and the powers that be have determined what those numbers should be based on our ability to provide immigrants with jobs and resources without it negatively impacting our own citizens. Any reason why you would question them? I know we still have many unemployed Americans and our natural and social resources are being stretched thin. I don't know about you but I'm concerned about too much population growth also.

There must be a line as people sometimes wait in it for years to come here. You just admitted that with your porta-potty analogy. We certainly don't need those that are coming here illegally as they are the poor, uneducated and unskilled. What do we need them for? They'd end up on the public dole and a burden rather than a benefit to our country. Here's a link proving that many of them are already.

https://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2...llect-welfare/

Old 01-15-2018, 02:54 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,087,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Both GOP and Dem Congress members in districts on the border are AGAINST the wall. We should listen to them as they are most affected.
No member of Congress along the U.S. border with Mexico wants to fund Trump's border wall
Well, there is more to the US than a few states on the border, and I know many people that don't benefit off of the illegals want the border secure.

Most affected, seriously? What about the $117 billion taxpayer dollars a year they steal from us, the education and jobs they steal, the lives they steal. Do you think maybe families of these people feel affected by illegal immigration? Victims of Illegal Aliens Memorial Do you think those on waiting lists for public housing while illegal aliens are living in public housing riding the coattails of their anchors are affected. And, then there are the viruses and diseases that spread through our population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Because border security should concern all of us. Illegal immigration isn't just a negative to the southern states but to every state in the union. Once they get in thru our southern border they spread out all over the country and impact all Americans. Surely you must know this.
I don't think the problem is knowing, it is giving a darn. Those that are illegal, belong to families with illegals, rent to illegals, legally represent illegals, sell to illegals, employ illegals are blind to the reality.

Also came across this interesting article trying to educate someone on FB about "the wall": https://azbigmedia.com/cbp-border-wa...ural-barriers/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration