Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 12:06 PM

88,568 posts, read 44,283,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It was claimed that this letter was fake or a remake of one first posted in 2006. How much of the letter can you verify? The opposition claims that government regulations prevent DACA from receiving some of the benefits claimed. We have all heard stories like the letter; I am just trying to sort out any truth from fiction.

I do agree that it is substantiated that illegal aliens and DACA are straining our hospitals since they cannot be turned away. Of course the other side does acknowledge they receive free lunches in school and are also entitled to bilingual teachers.
They're also entitled to very costly Special Ed services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 12:10 PM

11,558 posts, read 11,994,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Ultimately, we either have a legal immigration system and protect our own borders against illegal entry ... or we don't. I'm sympathetic to the sad stories about DACA immigrants who have gone to school, etc.. - but, where does one draw the line (ie; sanctuary cities, DACA, green cards, temporary assylum, ??) IMO, DACA is simply being used as a convenient and sympathetic PR tool.

The left and media paint a picture of an ideal, borderless system that recognizes the 'right' of anyone from anywhere coming to the U.S. whenever they wish and immediately (and indefinitely) enjoying all the benefits of tax-paying, naturally born citizens.

All other countries put their own citizens first and have neither the resources or will to sustain a borderless, universal-citizen country. In the U.S., I think it is more about politics and potential voters, than what is right or even makes a lick of sense.
You nailed it! Votes is all the dems care about.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:04 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,977,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Does anybody have the figures on what percentage went on to higher education? I would also like to see the number that have committed crimes. I know that none of them are supposed to be criminals; but life doesn't work like that. Supposedly, according to Wikipedia, there are no more criminals in this group than would be in the general population. But that does not mean there are none and how did we take care of the problem; where they deported? It would also be interesting to see actual figures on how much every one of these DACA cases cost us on the average?

Old 01-21-2018, 01:10 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,195,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Most of that is BS.
and We are not talking about illegal immigrants.
We are talking young people who were brought here as children, who grew up thinking they were American, and who have proved that they are willing to be Americans, many are High school graduates, some are now military veterans, and many are college graduates. All they are asking for is a chance to earn citizenship in the country that have called home all of their lives.
They are still illegal aliens. It doesn't matter how they got here. And I think you need to check the statistics, because I don't think they agree with your claim. Only a very tiny percentage have served or are serving in the military. Few are college grads (if any). Why haven't they done anything about becoming citizens long ago? They knew they were here illegally.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:21 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,236,194 times
So if an illegal alien robs a bank and uses that money to buy a home, cars, TV's, toys etc for their children, should the children continue to benefit from the parents illegal actions, NO, they all need to be deported and they need to use the free education our country gave them, to make their own country a better place to live for them and for their countries people.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:51 PM

2,121 posts, read 3,287,686 times
Quote:
Does anybody have the figures on what percentage went on to higher education? I would also like to see the number that have committed crimes. I know that none of them are supposed to be criminals; but life doesn't work like that. Supposedly, according to Wikipedia, there are no more criminals in this group than would be in the general population. But that does not mean there are none and how did we take care of the problem; where they deported? It would also be interesting to see actual figures on how much every one of these DACA cases cost us on the average?
According to this article, three years ago 5% of daca's graduated from college. I also heard on the news a few days ago the same statistics. Interesting article - Counting DACA students - The Hechinger Report

Old 01-21-2018, 02:53 PM

25,606 posts, read 21,786,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, in AZ, English As A Second Language was coming out of the Special Education Budget as a priority over the speech therapy that my son with Down syndrome needed, a US citizen since birth. So, throw our school children with special needs and our poor citizens under a bus driven by a Democratic politician and full of illegal aliens!

Quote:
I saw the info on DACA, it was I think in PDF and was very comprehensive look at DACA. I could not copy/paste a PDF, so couldn't bring it here, but looked up the website using the name of the PDF and got this: https://www.migrationpolicy.org/rese...aca-population Whether or not it is fact, no one ever knows and many reports simply reflect (like polls) the attitude and desired outcome of the one doing the work putting it together.

This link has the Dreamer Incarceration Rate: https://www.cato.org/publications/im...tion-rate#full

https://cis.org/Mortensen/DACA-Grant...-Their-Victims

https://www.dailywire.com/news/26138...ryan-saavedra#

Per the article:

"It confirms that the DACA screening process was woefully inadequate. The eligibility bar was set very low, explicitly allowing people with multiple misdemeanor and certain felony convictions to be approved."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
So if an illegal alien robs a bank and uses that money to buy a home, cars, TV's, toys etc for their children, should the children continue to benefit from the parents illegal actions, NO, they all need to be deported and they need to use the free education our country gave them, to make their own country a better place to live for them and for their countries people.
Well, it could be "yes" if they are going to vote Democratic, remember this isn't about the well-being of our country, but votes for the Democratic Party.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:46 PM

18,750 posts, read 11,715,704 times
I see the letter as troll rhetoric that has nothing to do with DACA. We're talking about people who were brought here as children and know no other way. They are Americans in culture but not on paper.

Here's what I do know. There are Mexican's in a school district that my friend worked for where they take their kids out of school for a month or longer over the Christmas holiday. When the kids come back, tax payer money is spent to hire tutors to catch them up. Sometimes taxi's are sent to drive the kids back and forth. This infuriates me. I agree that anyone here illegally should be deported, but that's not enough. They just come back. Take away the jobs and all of the freebies.

As far as DACA, yes end the program but grandfather in those that are here since childhood and give them a deadline to apply for citizenship. Deport the parents who came here illegally. Don't punish the innocent. This was a problem that should have been dealt with decades ago and wasn't. We have to be both firm and humane about this issue.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:33 PM

1,009 posts, read 722,537 times
Doesn't matter if the letter is real or faked. It is saying what is and has been going on for a long time and we all know it. Hard to believe anyone except an illegal would support daca. Okay, the children didn't know they were here illegal, now they do. My parents told me there was a Santa Claus.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:31 AM

243 posts, read 221,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
There is so much the Democrats are hiding from the American people. Are we all so stupid?
Yes, if you rely on a political party to get your information from. Both Dems and Reps can hide stuff from you, but at the end of the day, is our responsibility to know the facts. We live in a "free" country.

The solution is simple, legalize DACA, build the wall, deport everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration