Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:36 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,532,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flittermouse View Post
If 10 million people suddenly left the housing market, demand would drop, especially in the rental market. Property values would decline, and Americans would lose millions upon millions in their real estate investments. You'd also see a stop to new construction accompanied by massive job losses in that sector as well as in other housing related industries.
We never sold/listed a house, nor rented a home to any illegal so why should the values go down?
However we did deny people based on papers as with no papers or not being allowed to work here how can someone legally proof any income?

We do list/sell for foreigners who have legal papers to show and have sold/listed many properties as well as renting for them or to foreigners with legal papers and proof of income.

Liberals always try to deceive the public with fake statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 10:36 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,790,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Because the immigrants work for less they are unskilled.

Oh.
Low skilled would have been a better term the point is the same immigrants drive down labor costs. It’s great for me.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:37 AM

6,404 posts, read 7,603,556 times
Quote:
If 10 million people suddenly left the housing market, demand would drop, especially in the rental market. Property values would decline, and Americans would lose millions upon millions in their real estate investments. You'd also see a stop to new construction accompanied by massive job losses in that sector as well as in other housing related industries.
What are you basing your theory of Americans losing millions in real estate investments? Young Americans often need a rental until they work to afford their own home.

Of the 10 million, how many of them buy homes? Getting rid of rentals would improve many neighborhoods.

How many families are in each home? In California, the zoning limits of persons per each bedroom are often ignored as the chain migration continues.

Qualified Americans would be able to get construction jobs if they are out of the way.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:40 AM

2,616 posts, read 1,915,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
indeed, mostly city-data conservatives.

i come on here and just stare in amazement at the lack of education here. I bet most of them didn't even graduate from college.

How can you expect a bunch of blue-collar laborers to understand anything about economics?
Now, do you feel better about yourself?

Old 01-23-2018, 10:40 AM

13,387 posts, read 4,746,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
A lot of people seem to be incapable of applying basic economic principles.

So, taking into consideration the illegal population, if those people were not present in the US, what would the effect of their absence be on:

1. Housing availability
2. Housing affordability
3. Housing mobility
4. Housing development

I want to see if any of these liberal posters can get any of these right.
Kind of a moot point, since there are 10 million illegals in the US and we only deport about 250,000 per year and a backlog of 500,000 in the courts.

But if it were somehow possible to immediately remove all 10 million, I don't think it would have a huge impact on the housing market. 10 million is still only 3% of the US population. However, they do represent an estimated 15-25% of the construction workforce (https://www.markupandprofit.com/blog...s-construction) so it would probably cause a significant increase in cost of new homes.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:44 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,603,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They would know more about it than anyone since they are most affected.
lol yeah, like someone who stands out in the rain becomes an expert on meteorology

Old 01-23-2018, 10:45 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,575,486 times
Quote:
Loads of Americans wouldn't mind the loss of illegal alien jobs in the construction sector.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:47 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,190,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Rent for low income Americans would plummet.

Housing prices would self correct, as the cost to build, would increase in labor and material cost. But there would be more tearing down old rundown areas and building new.
The barro's would be gone.
When I was working in construction the only Mexican crews I remember seeing were in drywall hanging and finishing, and some painting crews. I suppose there were some roofers, too. We did framing and finishing and we subbed for other contractors (white) who were in the home building and remodeling business (custom homes). We also did a lot of commercial work. I did this for a couple of years, working for my wife's brothers.

Commercial work (at least in California) has always required paying "prevailing wage."

Perhaps a lot has changed since then (late 80's). Even so, the crews I knew of who were Mexicans were not illegals. And by the way, they were fast, and did excellent work.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,603,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Seems a bit elitist. Is Economics really such an arcane field of study that nobody but a white-collar professional could possibly have any knowledge in it?
Seeing as how blue-collar Trump voters have strong opinions about economics despite knowing nothing about the field, I'm going to say yes.

They're so full of bad ideas, however, it could be said that their knowledge is less than nothing. Like a surgeon who doesn't know what he's cutting on ; it's best to just put the scapel down.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:50 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,575,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
And some people actually did and still do their own mowing and gardening. And house cleaning.

Landscaping work wasn't just a fair wage, it was an excellent wage. During a construction boom years ago I worked for a landscaping company in the summer part time in addition to my full time job just for extra money. It was easy work for the girls, we just planted and watered flowers and had fun flirting with the young buff AMERICAN men. It was crazy good money for a few hours. I could never have foreseen what has happened now. Then again tech was also ninety nine percent Americans and companies would train kids out of high school for good paying technical jobs. America first, wtf happened.
We became a snake eating its own tail, ignoring the plight of our own as long as it didn't effect us and we got the "cheap" prices in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration