Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:36 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
If that were true, then why didn't the higher labor costs in the construction industry cause this 'higher long term increase" in the period before there were 3M illegals in California?

Not saying you're wrong, but this mechanism you are citing didn't seem to be in effect then, and yet it is now? I have a hard time believing that. If these effects are related to supply or demand, then they should be in force all of the time. Because that's how the laws of economic work.
How about the shortage of skilled labor in the construction field? There is a lot of demand, but no takers.

Is it the 'laborer' jobs you are referring to? Lugging boards and digging ditches, etc? I'm sure many Americans will jump at the chance to do those jobs.

"...That means there will potentially be lots of new construction jobs. It’d be good news if the industry weren’t already suffering from a labor shortage.

The index, produced by the USG Corporation and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, surveys contractors each quarter to gauge sentiment and measure the health of the construction sector.

Despite demand, 60% of contractors reported difficulty finding skilled workers in the third quarter of 2017 due to an ongoing skilled labor shortage....

Construction Jobs: There's Still a Skilled Labor Shortage | Fortune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 10:40 AM

3,851 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Exactly, the market would react to the loss of 10 million customers with a steep decline in prices and property values leading to crashes in the real estate and stock markets.
That would be for the greater good. Lower prices for Americans and legitimate immigrants.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:53 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
How about the shortage of skilled labor in the construction field? There is a lot of demand, but no takers.

Is it the 'laborer' jobs you are referring to? Lugging boards and digging ditches, etc? I'm sure many Americans will jump at the chance to do those jobs.

"...That means there will potentially be lots of new construction jobs. It’d be good news if the industry weren’t already suffering from a labor shortage.

The index, produced by the USG Corporation and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, surveys contractors each quarter to gauge sentiment and measure the health of the construction sector.

Despite demand, 60% of contractors reported difficulty finding skilled workers in the third quarter of 2017 due to an ongoing skilled labor shortage....

Construction Jobs: There's Still a Skilled Labor Shortage | Fortune
I wonder what percentage of these companies simply aren't offering wages sufficient to attract skilled workers. I often wonder the same with respect to all industries. I'm sure you've heard the repeated claim that "millions of jobs" are going unfilled because employees mysteriously cannot be found in a nation of 325 million citizens. Seems worth being suspicious about. Anecdotally, a quick search in my own area and those of my friends from other states reveals shockingly low advertised wages in a variety of fields when considering the expected qualifications that some (not all of course) of these employers are soliciting.

Just something to ponder on, in any case. I'm sure there are indeed shortages in some areas & industries, but I suspect many companies are also lying like it's going out of style.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:59 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,337,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
That would be for the greater good. Lower prices for Americans and legitimate immigrants.
You would have loved living during the Great Depression. What difference does low prices make if you can't get a job or your business fails due to lack of customers?

Seriously, where do conservatives come up with this crap? Kick out 11 million paying customers and Americans will suddenly be able to buy beachfront homes for 100k with the $30 an hour they will make picking crops, lmao.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:03 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Who would do the landscaping and cut the grass?

Lars Larson - radio talk show host - says he is his own illegal alien, i.e. he mows his own grass.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:06 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Exactly, why don't conservatives understand these basic economic principles? You cut supply - in this case 10-11 million consumers of housing, food, services, etc and demand will drop leading to job losses, crashes in the real estate and investor markets. Any gains that native born American achieve by getting jobs or making more money in the unskilled labor positions will be more than eaten up by the higher prices that everyone will be forced to pay. I have zero sympathy for any American that can have their job taken away by an uneducated peasant from the third world. Maybe if you had paid more attention to the world around you and devoted more energy to your education you wouldn't be competing for jobs against third world peasants that work harder than you to make something of themselves.

Immigrants will travel thousands of miles across some of the world's most dangerous terrain for a job that most Americans wouldn't cross the street to do.
Exactly.

People have some romantic notion that the only reason that Americans aren't working construction, etc. is because they cannot get those jobs.
In reality, companies have to offer all sorts of incentives, including free training as is being done in my area, to get Americans to even consider these trades and even then, it's not a sure bet that they are going to want to give up the comfort of a cubicle for extreme manual labor.

At some point, when a lot of these people were not paying attention, Americans started telling their children that they are better than manual labor. That they didn't work 12-14 hour days to have their kids get their hands dirty. That they would be the first generation to go to college because that is the American dream.

Too many want to blame the illegals and other immigrants for the situation that Americans have created.
These jobs weren't taken away. They were given away so that our kids could aim higher. That's why even the most menial office job often requires a bachelor's degree. Got to maintain that illusion of American success.

Not the fault of the Mexicans or the Ukrainians or the Vietnamese... that Americans believe that they are too good to clean houses or cut grass or "do" nails.
The question we should be asking is why are they able to impress the importance of working these sorts of jobs on their kids when we no longer do or want to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Eh, they would be slower and more expensive. I prefer illegals to cut my grass, they work much cheaper and harder with the threat of ICE and deportation hanging over their heads, especially these days.

We should definitely deport a bunch just for good measure but we have to keep a few around to get the real ****** jobs done.

(singing)

You're as cold as ICE?

NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Who cares about housing or anything else. DACA is about whether we change the laws of our country to accommodate illegal aliens. It is about whether we continue as a country of law and order. Many parts of our country are beginning to look like a third world country. I want my civilized country back.

Some of you maybe don't have the misfortune to live around these uncivilized people who care nothing about their surroundings. Last night I was told about someone visiting a shopping center we had gone to for years. It used to be a nice place where one could feel safe. I forget why he said he had gone there but he said he had walked down the walk to check out how much things had changed. He said most of the stores were Spanish labeled now and things like dirty baby diapers were just laying around. Basically it looked like the walkway we witnessed years ago when we walked across the border from America into Mexico where we saw open bathroom type things we had to step over. And the smell!

We need controlled legal immigration, not amnesty of thousands who have done nothing to earn it.

We have had people killed by illegal hygiene practices of illegals in public places. When I see Hispanic, I go elsewhere. I like my food clean and safe.

Last edited by NCN; 01-23-2018 at 12:21 PM..

Old 01-23-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
What are you basing your theory of Americans losing millions in real estate investments? Young Americans often need a rental until they work to afford their own home.

Of the 10 million, how many of them buy homes? Getting rid of rentals would improve many neighborhoods.

How many families are in each home? In California, the zoning limits of persons per each bedroom are often ignored as the chain migration continues.

Qualified Americans would be able to get construction jobs if they are out of the way.

(scratching head)

I live in a rental and my neighborhood is fine. What exactly does my presence do to my neighborhood?

Old 01-23-2018, 11:15 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
A lot of people seem to be incapable of applying basic economic principles.

So, taking into consideration the illegal population, if those people were not present in the US, what would the effect of their absence be on:

1. Housing availability
2. Housing affordability
3. Housing mobility
4. Housing development

I want to see if any of these liberal posters can get any of these right.
1. For one thing, public housing units would open up for our homeless population which includes families.
2. Here, illegals willing to live 2 or 3 families to a housing unit will pay high rental prices driving up the rent for everyone else, especially the college students who need affordable housing. We could also get rid of some of the "slum" housing per code once illegals are gone.
3. I have no idea what housing mobility is, but plenty of housing on the market, people move all the time and buy/sell houses.
4. Less money put in public housing units since one anchor baby gets the entire illegal alien family into public housing.

It would be great in the area of new housing if we could get our American workers back on the job and keep those dollars in the USA (money sent out of the US to Mexico $26 billion in 2016).

https://www.markupandprofit.com/blog...s-construction

With illegal aliens, it is cheap labor to the employer, but the taxpayers subsidize that employer by paying out $117 billion per year to support the illegal aliens. That doesn't seem like much of a boom for anything other than the employers who hire them. If you can't afford legal labor, one shouldn't be in business. When these illegal alien workers get injured, they avail themselves to free emergency room care through a loophole in Medicaid.

So, looking forward to getting Americans back to work and not supporting employers who do not follow the laws.

Good-bye illegal aliens, time to go home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration