U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 05:09 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Fewer than 900. What I don't understand is why with recruitment levels so low were we enlisting illegal aliens.

Since 2014, Obama. Not surprised he was for it.

I'm opposed to DACA amnesty but if a DACA wants to put their actual life on the line for the US and serve in our armed forces, that should be basically the only way to get legal. If they're physically unable to serve, community service in lieu should be accepted. That's the only way I think is acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 05:33 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm opposed to DACA amnesty but if a DACA wants to put their actual life on the line for the US and serve in our armed forces, that should be basically the only way to get legal. If they're physically unable to serve, community service in lieu should be accepted. That's the only way I think is acceptable.
Agreed! No more of this college garbage... Oh look, I displaced an American for 4 years on the tax payers dime, I should get amnesty. Nope.

I get the rational SOME of them was no fault of their own but it wasn't my fault either and not where I want my taxes spent.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:35 PM

31,490 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

How many would actually be putting their lives on the line though? Military service doesn't necessary mean you'd be on the front lines. Prior to Obama waving his magic wand illegal aliens couldn't even serve in our military. I prefer that all enlistees be Americans.

So few aren't thinking about the long term ramifications of making any of them legal. I have and it's not a pretty picture, IMO.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:41 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,222,559 times
Unfortunately, an individual is either here in the United States legally or not.

The Swamp will devise a means to the end.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:07 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How many would actually be putting their lives on the line though? Military service doesn't necessary mean you'd be on the front lines. Prior to Obama waving his magic wand illegal aliens couldn't even serve in our military. I prefer that all enlistees be Americans.

So few aren't thinking about the long term ramifications of making any of them legal. I have and it's not a pretty picture, IMO.
It usually doesn't mean that these days, you're right...but the potential is always there. You can be injured or killed in the line of duty even if you never see combat.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:44 AM

12,554 posts, read 18,931,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
DACA recipients were NEVER promised "automatic citizenship." All DACA offered was a renewable deferral from deportation.

One interesting solution that I heard Rep. Issa (a Republican) mention on a local radio show was temporarily suspending the "diversity lottery" for immigration for a period and opening those "slots" to DACA recipients to apply for. Citizenship still would not be automatic, and they'd have to pass rigorous screening. According to Issa, in two years all CURRENT DACA recipients could have their legal status resolved one way or another. Then the door to DACA would close.

That makes sense to me; I've never understood the "diversity lottery" idea. Why should someone without any ties to the U.S. just "win" a spot here because they come from a particular country? So as part of immigration reform, I'd like to see that changed as well.
I can't see how it would work, but that's a pretty good idea. By applying, I assume that many would be disqualified, but many would also win that lottery. I like it. It seems a fair solution. The other idea about making them go a home, but waiving the 3 or 10 year bans for some of them is good too. I also kind of like the serve in the military as a path for some of them. This thread is the first one where these great ideas ar coming out. More please!

Old 01-24-2018, 08:11 AM

31,490 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I can't see how it would work, but that's a pretty good idea. By applying, I assume that many would be disqualified, but many would also win that lottery. I like it. It seems a fair solution. The other idea about making them go a home, but waiving the 3 or 10 year bans for some of them is good too. I also kind of like the serve in the military as a path for some of them. This thread is the first one where these great ideas ar coming out. More please!

I like the latter option of them returning to their homelands and applying to come back legally and without the 3 or 10 year bans. Anything other than that is amnesty, IMO. I continue to disagree with them joining the military just so they can remain here.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:40 AM

9,796 posts, read 7,111,943 times
We can thank President Trump that we are even having this conversation.
DACA has been passed on by previous Presidents which left these people in limbo.
Trump is daring to challenge it and finally make a decision about the Deferred Action.
These people should be made to get into the legal immigration line with everyone else.

Trump is forcing the conversation to take place.

I have no doubt that if Hillary had won we would now be setting up chairs at the National Mall to have a huge swearing in ceremony for our new citizens.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:29 AM

1,125 posts, read 449,244 times
Yup Clinton would have gave them first row seats to the state of the union address

Old 01-24-2018, 09:50 AM
exm

1,625 posts, read 509,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I tend to agree with the OP's suggestion. But, once someone is found to satisfy all the rules of DACA (listed above), I think they should be offered protection from deportation but then have to apply for citizenship just like anyone else. I don't agree with automatic citizenship.
Protection, based on immigration status: yes.

If they commit a felony (deportable crime): bye bye

Solution is simple. Create a new visa class for these people, that allows them to stay, work legally. After 10 years this class can be changed to a Green Card. After 5 years of GC usage they can get Citizenship. All of this means for the first 10 years there's no option for chain migration, and during the first 15 years they'll be deported if they commit a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or