U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 06:58 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,415,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quique07 View Post

In the past this country has been characterized by how much it gives to the rest of the world and how Americans have always help other people.

In the past, this country once thought slavery was a good idea too. Thats the past.

Is true, we don't owe the Dreamers anything. But as Americans, I do think we have a higher responsibility than any other nationality in the world, in trying to help others, simply because we are fortunate to be living in the best country in the world.
I'm not gonna apologize for being born here. I don't have "AMERICAN GUILT", which is not working out for Germany right now.If you fail to impose limits on how many people can be here, America will not be America anymore.

I wonder if everybody would still desire to be here if every individual either making 50K a year or has a Bachelors degree just left. We literally just vacated and move to, IDK, Canada. This country would crumble within a decade.

Last edited by jacktravern; 02-01-2018 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Color added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 07:03 PM

1,024 posts, read 346,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'd prefer citizenship off the table too. It's bad enough that any kids born here get that. Permanent resident? Green Card? Other maybe? I'm not heartless to their plight. I especially don't think the parents who brought them should get the benefit of citizenship, even if we give a pathway to the "kids". On the table is a 12 year pathway, which is generous.

Family reunification is low on the priority pole too. Lot's of people live away from parents, siblings, etc. so I don't see how it should be controversial to limit this to minor children and spouses.
Even spouses and children is being generous. If they come here just to make a decent living, what’s wrong with them giving something up?

Old 02-02-2018, 06:36 PM

19,445 posts, read 13,188,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
As we all know the DACA situation is a mess. Reps want to send them back and the Dems are now expecting amnesty since they "caved" and funded the gov. at least for the next few weeks with the promise that they will all debate about the DACA "kids" .
I put "kids" in quotes because most of these people are adults.

They admit that there are nearly 800,000 people that are in the DACA program and maybe there should be a compromise that they can stay? I imagine that many of them have been working and they have roots in our society so perhaps they should be allowed to stay. If any of them are in prison then why would we want them? Send them back!

But here is a question. The DACA kids are here because their parents brought them into the country illegally which makes the parents illegal aliens.

If the Reps and Dems can come to terms on this which I doubt I would like to see the responsible DACA people that are members of the community and contributing to the betterment of America be allowed to stay BUT there will be NO "Chain Migration" meaning their parents will still be illegal. The children of the DACA people will be allowed to stay.

If they all want to go back to their homeland that is fine but don't be surprised when ICE runs out of criminal illegals and they come calling to your house and tell you it is time to go back home and get in line for legal immigration.

I think this would be a good compromise that even Schumer could get behind.
Simple solution:

Give DACA qualified adults a 5 year temporary US residency status (minors until they are 21 years old.)

During that time they will be deported if they fail to:

1) pass a background check to see if any of them have committed crimes that warrant deportation

2) provide a high school diploma, or equivalency (we did pay to send them thru K-12 at taxpayer expense)

If they stay out of trouble with the law during the first five years, they have the option of applying for permanent US residency, which will go into effect in no earlier than 2028.

In 2028 we will see some good people gain US permanent residency, and with that they can apply for US citizenship.

Last edited by Wapasha; 02-02-2018 at 07:32 PM..

Old 02-02-2018, 06:41 PM

5,768 posts, read 3,093,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Simple solution:

Give DACA qualified adults a 5 year temporary US residency status (minors until they are 21 years old.)

During that time they will be deported unless they fail to:

1) pass a background check to see if any of them have committed crimes that warrant deportation

2) provide a high school diploma, or equivalency (we did pay to send them thru K-12 at taxpayer expense)

If they stay out of trouble with the law during the first five years, they have the option of applying for permanent US residency, which will go into effect in no earlier than 2028.

In 2028 we will see some good people gain US permanent residency, and with that they can apply for US citizenship.
Great post, with one exception.

They should never be granted citizenship. That should be reserved for those who played by the rules.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Great post, with one exception.

They should never be granted citizenship. That should be reserved for those who played by the rules.

Can you really say that a five or ten old year child is guilty of "not playing by the rules?"

I see your point, I really do. I have been of the mind before to send the parents back where they came from, and take their kids with them. After all, the parents had no trouble tearing the kids from the only home they have ever known, and forcing them to leave their friends, classmates behind, to sneak into the USA, a country where their children didn't speak the language or know the culture.

However, before we do anything we need to:
End anchor babies. End chain migration. Define once and for all exactly who is, and who is not a US citizen at birth.

No child born in the USA should be given citizenship or residency status that is above that held by their parents.

If the mother is on a visiting visa from Russia, and they mother gives birth in our hospital, then the child has a visiting visa. Bye, bye anchor baby Russian vacation packages.

If the parents have temporary or permanent US residency status, so does their new baby. By that same note, once the parents gain US citizenship, so do their minor children.

And if the parents overstayed a visa or snuck across the US border, their child born in a US hospital is an illegal alien too.

Once we do that all of that, I'll give the DACA children a break with temporary status, since they had no control over the crimes of their parents.

Plus, to give these children permanent status, and forbid them from ever applying for US citizenship, I think we would create a unique and ostracized class of people.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:29 AM

12,553 posts, read 18,926,430 times
Quote:
Simple solution:

I think that's a pretty good idea. We can't just give permanent residence to DACA kids. They need to apply and pass a background check. If they fail, they are out. The best get to stay, the rest go. I kind of like it.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:31 AM

12,553 posts, read 18,926,430 times
Quote:
Can you really say that a five or ten old year child is guilty of "not playing by the rules?"

I see your point, I really do. I have been of the mind before to send the parents back where they came from, and take their kids with them. After all, the parents had no trouble tearing the kids from the only home they have ever known, and forcing them to leave their friends, classmates behind, to sneak into the USA, a country where their children didn't speak the language or know the culture.

End anchor babies. End chain migration. Define once and for all exactly who is, and who is not a US citizen at birth.

No child born in the USA should be given citizenship or residency status that is above that held by their parents.

If the mother is on a visiting visa from Russia, and they mother gives birth in our hospital, then the child has a visiting visa. Bye, bye anchor baby Russian vacation packages.

If the parents have temporary or permanent US residency status, so does their new baby. By that same note, once the parents gain US citizenship, so do their minor children.

And if the parents overstayed a visa or snuck across the US border, their child born in a US hospital is an illegal alien too.

Once we do that all of that, I'll give the DACA children a break with temporary status, since they had no control over the crimes of their parents.

Plus, to give these children permanent status, and forbid them from ever applying for US citizenship, I think we would create a unique and ostracized class of people.

Those are good ideas too, but getting some of these changes through is pretty much impossible in the current political climate..

Old 02-03-2018, 06:59 AM

31,481 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Simple solution:

Not so simple for Americans that will have to compete for jobs, college seats and spots in the military against them though, is it? That's only one of the reasons that I object to allowing them to remain here.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Those are good ideas too, but getting some of these changes through is pretty much impossible in the current political climate..
I don't know about that. I think the average American would view these Russian travel agents selling US anchor baby vacation packages, as wrong. Then the woman takes her anchor baby back to mother Russia, raises it as a Russian citizen, completely ignorant of our language, customs and way of life, yet at age 21 the Russian can chain migrate all their family to the USA. That is wrong.

I think the majority of Americans would want to stop this by updating our laws.

First we would need to have an honest discussion about this, and not be intimidated by the angry few trying to shout everyone down as "racist," or whatever, when they try and stop the discussion.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:05 PM

5,768 posts, read 3,093,113 times
Quote:

The illegal parents should still be deported. I can not accept any DACA recipients ever being allowed citizenship because it is just plain unfair to the people who did it legally. The DACA folks need to blame their parents, if anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or