U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 03:35 PM

2,784 posts, read 900,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Something is wrong here when an illegal is allowed to work in law inforcement.
And Martinez either lied on his FOID card to legally have a firearm, or the police department covered for him.
How would he of passed a background check for hiring?!
One cannot have a firearm if you are here illegally.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/FOID.aspx
I am not an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States
^^^^^
That is part of the checklist to qualify for a FOID card which qualifies you to legally carry a firearm and ammo.

The Police Chief is advocating for him to keep his job. He should be charged with a crime along with Martinez.
Just one example on how this DACA is not good.

Uncertain future for Illinois police officer who is a DACA recipient

“Germain Martinez Garcia tries not to let the daily headlines affect him too much.

“I have to try — for the community — I can’t have any negative thoughts in my mind. It doesn’t allow me to do my job like it should be done,” he said.

Martinez is a DACA recipient, himself. He was brought into the U.S. without documentation when he was only 6, and grew up in southern Illinois. Now, he is a local police officer on the force in Fairmont City, Illinois.

The department hired him about two years ago to complete the police academy. He has been patrolling the streets for about nine months.

“I love helping people, interacting with people, and just the community — I really enjoy the community,” he said.

“What we try to do here is make the police department look like the faces of the people in the community,” said Fairmont City Police Chief, Scott Penny. “Fairmont City is approximately 70 percent Hispanic population.

Penny met Martinez when the officer was just an intern and said he recognized potential. Not familiar with the DACA program enough to know if he could hire Martinez, Chief Penny started making phone calls around the state.”

Well, one town (though not in Illinois) tried to make it a requirement that only US citizens could apply and Obummer sicced the DOJ on them and gave them a nasty fine I think.

As for Illinois, I once found a memo about a DACA event (all in Spanish, but I used Google translate) and found that it was a DACA event, but was what was strange is that one of the participants or helpers or whatever was GetCoveredIllinois, which I think is the state's ACA exchange. However, last I checked, people on DACA weren't supposed to sign up for the exchanges, certainly not in late 2015. However, I am wondering if, especially as this pamphlet thing wasn't at some La Raza meeting in the middle of the woods where they hoped to not be spotted, but at a Illinois government building. Now, I can't prove it, but I'm wondering if they are helping DACA people sign up anyway. I happened to look on the GetCoveredIllinois and the state exchange sites. They do say on the state site that DACA people aren't supposed to sign up. However, they also say they aren't going to ask national origin or any questions like that in the event that it supposedly might net innocent people. All I can say is, how convenient!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 03:50 PM

11,652 posts, read 3,253,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
So basically affirmative action of sorts... you support that?
I don't consider favoring citizens over non-citizen or even illegals affirmative action. I consider it a minimum qualifying standard.

Quote:
I'm on the fence on this. DACA gave him legal working status temporarily. If the department accepted him, I would assume he was the best candidate out of the selection. On the other hand, his time here could be limited so why would the department invest in him? It is a strange situation...
Knowing government agencies, I wouldn't.

Quote:
I do give him credit for serving the community. That's more than I can say for some of our citizens.
For me, it's not about him but public policy.

Quote:
I think DACA persons risking their lives to serve the military for a determined time should be given a path to citizenship.
I don't think they should be allowed to serve. But there's only about 900 of them who served in the military. Go ahead and give them a pathway to citizenship. Why not, we're on the verge of doing that for at least 700,000 many of them rioters and American flag burners.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:09 PM

31,483 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Something is wrong here when an illegal is allowed to work in law inforcement.
And Martinez either lied on his FOID card to legally have a firearm, or the police department covered for him.
How would he of passed a background check for hiring?!
One cannot have a firearm if you are here illegally.

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/FOID.aspx
I am not an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States
^^^^^
That is part of the checklist to qualify for a FOID card which qualifies you to legally carry a firearm and ammo.

The Police Chief is advocating for him to keep his job. He should be charged with a crime along with Martinez.
Just one example on how this DACA is not good.

Uncertain future for Illinois police officer who is a DACA recipient

“Germain Martinez Garcia tries not to let the daily headlines affect him too much.

“I have to try — for the community — I can’t have any negative thoughts in my mind. It doesn’t allow me to do my job like it should be done,” he said.

Martinez is a DACA recipient, himself. He was brought into the U.S. without documentation when he was only 6, and grew up in southern Illinois. Now, he is a local police officer on the force in Fairmont City, Illinois.

The department hired him about two years ago to complete the police academy. He has been patrolling the streets for about nine months.

“I love helping people, interacting with people, and just the community — I really enjoy the community,” he said.

“What we try to do here is make the police department look like the faces of the people in the community,” said Fairmont City Police Chief, Scott Penny. “Fairmont City is approximately 70 percent Hispanic population.

Penny met Martinez when the officer was just an intern and said he recognized potential. Not familiar with the DACA program enough to know if he could hire Martinez, Chief Penny started making phone calls around the state.”
So there are no legal Hispanic faces in that area?

Old 01-23-2018, 05:14 PM

5,664 posts, read 2,508,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Well, one town (though not in Illinois) tried to make it a requirement that only US citizens could apply and Obummer sicced the DOJ on them and gave them a nasty fine I think.

As for Illinois, I once found a memo about a DACA event (all in Spanish, but I used Google translate) and found that it was a DACA event, but was what was strange is that one of the participants or helpers or whatever was GetCoveredIllinois, which I think is the state's ACA exchange. However, last I checked, people on DACA weren't supposed to sign up for the exchanges, certainly not in late 2015. However, I am wondering if, especially as this pamphlet thing wasn't at some La Raza meeting in the middle of the woods where they hoped to not be spotted, but at a Illinois government building. Now, I can't prove it, but I'm wondering if they are helping DACA people sign up anyway. I happened to look on the GetCoveredIllinois and the state exchange sites. They do say on the state site that DACA people aren't supposed to sign up. However, they also say they aren't going to ask national origin or any questions like that in the event that it supposedly might net innocent people. All I can say is, how convenient!
That is interesting.
Thanks for the research.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:18 PM

5,664 posts, read 2,508,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So there are no legal Hispanic faces in that area?
The article says the city is 70% Hispanic.
Hmmmm, you got me thinking...... now I wonder. I would think some would be legal and some not.

If this DACA police officer in this community comes into contact of an illegal and or a DACA I wonder what he will do?

I still wonder how it got approved to carry a firearm and ammo

Old 01-23-2018, 05:22 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
And another DACA, brought into the US at age 3, who is now in his 40s and a doctor in a hospital, is arrested and may be deported.

I know where Trump can stick his ICE.
The Polish doctor isn't a Dreamer, he has a green card. And a little bit of a spotty background that would have been fine if he WAS a DACA recipient!

Old 01-23-2018, 05:30 PM

6,168 posts, read 2,563,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
And another DACA, brought into the US at age 3, who is now in his 40s and a doctor in a hospital, is arrested and may be deported.

I know where Trump can stick his ICE.
That guy is actually a legal resident with a green card. But yeah, ICE took him.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:44 PM

27,817 posts, read 37,852,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
They are present illegally. Their deportation was suspended legislation to provide some status to become permanent residents. By en EO which expires in March.

Then out they go.
No, they are legal and can work until such time as a court or president rescinds the memo giving them legal status. Even then, their legal status would likely be extended until the end of their program enrollment term. Yep, the clock is ticking one way or another but I am pretty confident they will be getting real legal status real soon. I saw today that Trump is in favor of expanding legal status to 1.2 million of them instead of only the 700,000 that applied.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:01 PM

11,652 posts, read 3,253,090 times
Quote:
The article says the city is 70% Hispanic.
Hmmmm, you got me thinking...... now I wonder. I would think some would be legal and some not.

If this DACA police officer in this community comes into contact of an illegal and or a DACA I wonder what he will do?

I still wonder how it got approved to carry a firearm and ammo
We are not allowed to wonder if a Hispanic or illegal person in a positon of public trust has a bias like that according to liberals who tell us what we can and cannot say and think. But we know from observation that some of them do.

And that's a good question how he a non-citizen can carry a firearm. How do the non-citizen soldiers do it either? Aren't they really just foreign mercenaries?

Old 01-23-2018, 06:45 PM

2,784 posts, read 900,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I saw today that Trump is in favor of expanding legal status to 1.2 million of them instead of only the 700,000 that applied.

GRRR, so much for his campaign promises!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or