U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 09:25 PM

17,986 posts, read 13,233,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
The Gestapo and Stasi are alive and well in the United States.
It's typically losers who invoke Godwin's Law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
She didn't commit a crime.
8 USC 1227 (a)(1)(C)(i) Nonimmigrant status violators

Any alien who was admitted as a nonimmigrant and who has failed to maintain the nonimmigrant status in which the alien was admitted or to which it was changed under section 248 , or to comply with the conditions of any such status, is deportable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 10:54 PM

5,023 posts, read 1,525,865 times
If you're not here lawfully, then you're an illegal alien. I don't care whose granny you are. GTFO.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:12 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
The Gestapo and Stasi are alive and well in the United States.
Well, which is it? The Gestapo (Geheime Staatspolizei) or the Stasi (Staatssicherheitsdienst)?

Both "secret" police answering to very different masters with different agendas.

Additionally, how do you equate the hunting and slaughtering of Jews (by the Gestapo) or the brutal oppression of "state enemies" (by the Stasi) with ICE picking up a visa overstay?

Oh, the drama.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:25 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,057,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Well, which is it? The Gestapo (Geheime Staatspolizei) or the Stasi (Staatssicherheitsdienst)?

Both "secret" police answering to very different masters with different agendas.

Additionally, how do you equate the hunting and slaughtering of Jews (by the Gestapo) or the brutal oppression of "state enemies" (by the Stasi) with ICE picking up a visa overstay?

Oh, the drama.
I knew someone years ago from France who spoke of the naked bodies stacked in the streets, and I just cannot believe that anyone that knew the slightest thing about world history would use such a comparison that just reeks of ignorance. She was an older woman, and this was years ago. Her eyes always filled with tears when she spoke of what life was like during that time period.

Obviously, if this horror of being picked up by ICE for breaking our immigration laws seems like the worst thing that could happen for illegal aliens, the countries they came from cannot be that bad, because it isn't anything compared to what people in Europe suffered. They also seemed to miss that the Gestapo was the invaders trying to make Europe theirs, more similar to the illegal alien invaders that are trying to colonize our country, invading and illegally present and making demands of our people.

If "ignorance is bliss", the liberals must have a continuous smile!

Old 01-25-2018, 05:18 PM

12,553 posts, read 18,921,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

It's the law. I carry ID that proves I am a citizen. Legal immigrants have to carry ID on them.
There is no law requiring US Citizens to carry around papers proving they are citizens. I do not carry my passport with me everywhere. I have a drivers license, but there is no requirement to have it on me at all times, and it does not prove citizenship anyway.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:40 AM

11,894 posts, read 9,612,778 times
Immigration laws are civil, not criminal laws. You are deportable if you are here illegally but you are not committing a crime, in the sense that you get convicted and sentenced (though you may be detained, just not in the criminal context).

Old 01-26-2018, 01:12 PM

31,463 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Immigration laws are civil, not criminal laws. You are deportable if you are here illegally but you are not committing a crime, in the sense that you get convicted and sentenced (though you may be detained, just not in the criminal context).
First offense of illegal entry is a misdemeanor and yes that is a minor crime. Entry again after being deported is a felony and is a major crime.

Is a misdemeanor a crime?

Misdemeanor is a minor crime/charge A misdemeanor is the designation of the severity of the charge or judgment against you, not whether or not you are convicted. Misdemeanors are minor and felonies are major.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:59 PM

11,894 posts, read 9,612,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
First offense of illegal entry is a misdemeanor and yes that is a minor crime. Entry again after being deported is a felony and is a major crime.

Is a misdemeanor a crime?

Misdemeanor is a minor crime/charge A misdemeanor is the designation of the severity of the charge or judgment against you, not whether or not you are convicted. Misdemeanors are minor and felonies are major.
You are talking about entry, I am talking about how one gets removed, from ICE or other federal official arrest - for their illegal status - to deportation. It's possible that those picked up while trying to cross the border will just be deported rather than criminally prosecuted. Most people prosecuted for illegal entry are probably caught actually trying to cross the border and never actually make it in to settle here. But about 45% of illegal immigrants in the US have not committed a crime, because they came here legally, with proper authorization and documentation, but their continued status is illegal (overstayed visas usually).

Even if one has been convicted of illegal entry, they now have a conviction which makes them more of a target for deportation - a civil process.

This woman in the article entered the country legally. She had a tourist visa. She has not committed a crime. This is a purely civil manner.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:54 PM

13,019 posts, read 7,193,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Working illegally or hiring someone unauthorized to work is a crime, however. Crack down on illegal employment, including a $100,000 fine per incident to the employer and much of the problem goes away.

Everyone needs to respect our rule of law. We can not just go to another country and expect to take up residence without going through their lawful procedure. I have no problem with rounding up people who do not respect our rule of law and sending them back to where they came from.

These greedy businesses need to stop exploiting illegal cheap labor. There should be consequences.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:40 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,057,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Everyone needs to respect our rule of law. We can not just go to another country and expect to take up residence without going through their lawful procedure. I have no problem with rounding up people who do not respect our rule of law and sending them back to where they came from.

These greedy businesses need to stop exploiting illegal cheap labor. There should be consequences.
It is not just businesses, but individuals also who hire them for yard work, nannies, housekeepers and, of course the landlords who rent to them. Other exploiters are immigration attorneys who would hate to lose the work, that criminal in Detroit paid $125,000 trying to wiggle out of deportation, did him no good, but sure was a nice bundle for the attorney. There are a number of people, not just businesses that exploit the illegal aliens to put/keep money in their own pocket.

There are consequences and more and more stories are appearing to show that. At this time, workplace enforcement is not a priority. ICE is concentrating on the worst of them, fugitives from justice in their own country, criminal illegal aliens (have committed crimes on top of breaking immigration law) and those with removal orders that have ignored them.

I see that FL has a "stop and identify statute": https://www.copblock.org/28042/let-me-see-your-i-d/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or