U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 06:06 AM

12,562 posts, read 18,950,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
You should re read what I wrote, so I have posted it again. I am aware of the difference between DACA and a legal permanent resident (aka green card holder).

US immigration works on "status" a person has a valid legal status under immigration law or they do not. There's no grey area. Some status can be changed to another status for example a financee that arrives on an F1 visa has a legal status as an F1 visa holder. AFter they get married to a US citizen they adjust status to get a 3 year conditional green card. That becomes their new legal status under immigration law.

DACA is a legal immigrant status under US immigration law. The big difference here is that its a temp status and does not lead to a green card (aka another legal status) just like a tourist visa is a legal status that does not lead to a green card.

The protestors want that changed. Once their temporary status expires if there's no change they will be deported under immigration law. Whether or not the US can actually deport 800,000+ of them is a different story.
Since it was a response to me, I will reply even if someone beat me to it. DACA is not "a legal immigrant status under US immigration law". It is a policy of the Executive Branch of our Govt. Laws are made by Congress, the Legislative branch of our Govt.

A student visa, and a tourist visa, are called non-immigrant visas by our Govt. Neither is supposed to lead to a green card. Same with other non-immigrant visas. Adjustment of status is more about changing from a non-immigrant status to an immigrant status. DACA is not either kind of status. It is not a part of any law until Congress passes a bill, and the President signs it, making it so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 06:55 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,697,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
OK, you get it temp status, but that should never have been extended by Obama in the first place, so that is standing on one leg! And, no tourist visa, the person came in legally.

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/01/the-facts-on-daca/

"The DACA program doesn’t provide a path to citizenship, and even though recipients have deportation deferred, they still do not have lawful status."
Thank you for the lesson on law. I already know and wrote that DACA is a temporary status so I don't know why you need to bring that up.

As far as DACA being legal or not, it has not been found to be unconstitutional in any court. As a matter of fact at least 12 states attorneys generals have sued the Trump administration when he tried to over turn Obama's order.

What I would suggest you do instead of complaining here about illegals and their anchor babies is to contact your Fed reps and senators and tell them your opinion. Make sure to use the one or more of the following descriptors "illegals, invaders, anchor babies, disease vessels, rapists, murderers, and/or drug dealers. By using at least one of those descriptors you're opinion will be taken more seriously.

I for one have already contacted my Fed reps and Senators and told them I'm in favor of extending the DACA status and giving them a pathway to citizenship. I was reluctant at first because I told them every one on city data was against me, but they told me not to worry they are monitoring the situation here. Taken names and ip addresses.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:32 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,087,122 times
Quote:
Thank you for the lesson on law. I already know and wrote that DACA is a temporary status so I don't know why you need to bring that up.

As far as DACA being legal or not, it has not been found to be unconstitutional in any court. As a matter of fact at least 12 states attorneys generals have sued the Trump administration when he tried to over turn Obama's order.

What I would suggest you do instead of complaining here about illegals and their anchor babies is to contact your Fed reps and senators and tell them your opinion. Make sure to use the one or more of the following descriptors "illegals, invaders, anchor babies, disease vessels, rapists, murderers, and/or drug dealers. By using at least one of those descriptors you're opinion will be taken more seriously.

I for one have already contacted my Fed reps and Senators and told them I'm in favor of extending the DACA status and giving them a pathway to citizenship. I was reluctant at first because I told them every one on city data was against me, but they told me not to worry they are monitoring the situation here. Taken names and ip addresses.
You indicated they had "legal status" which they do not. No legal status.

Oh, you don't think my Fed reps and senators here from me? Also, my governor and my state congress members. You bet I use those descriptors, you haven't seen our schools nor who fills our country jails.

Our newspaper ran an "oh boo hoo hoo" article on illegals in our city. It also appeared on their FB page, they were basically eaten alive for it as the stories poured in from those directly impacted by the presence of illegal aliens.

If you have a true fear that people here are against you, and that we are being monitored, most cities have mental health clinics that operate on a sliding fee scale so that everyone can afford care. Some medications can cause this issue, so possibly address it in the forums about healthcare, including mental health.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You indicated they had "legal status" which they do not. No legal status.

Oh, you don't think my Fed reps and senators here from me? Also, my governor and my state congress members. You bet I use those descriptors, you haven't seen our schools nor who fills our country jails.

Our newspaper ran an "oh boo hoo hoo" article on illegals in our city. It also appeared on their FB page, they were basically eaten alive for it as the stories poured in from those directly impacted by the presence of illegal aliens.

If you have a true fear that people here are against you, and that we are being monitored, most cities have mental health clinics that operate on a sliding fee scale so that everyone can afford care. Some medications can cause this issue, so possibly address it in the forums about healthcare, including mental health.

I must be mentally deranged to keep posting here. I would like to see that article in your local area that did a "boo hoo type story" on illegals and how they are impacting the area residents.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:08 AM

31,634 posts, read 14,599,205 times
Quote:

So the Feds are monitoring this forum and taking names and IP addresses? Why would they need to monitor those of us for the rule of law? If anything they should be monitoring those who aren't for the rule of law.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:15 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,087,122 times
Quote:
I must be mentally deranged to keep posting here. I would like to see that article in your local area that did a "boo hoo type story" on illegals and how they are impacting the area residents.
I am sorry, but I am not going to reveal my location to you after the comments you have made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So the Feds are monitoring this forum and taking names and IP addresses? Why would they need to monitor those of us for the rule of law? If anything they should be monitoring those who aren't for the rule of law.
All I can say is

Old 01-30-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The Feds monitor everything. They even mentioned your username.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:24 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,239,911 times
Quote:
I hate to tell you this but being an administrator of some forums myself, only administrators of forums can see ip addresses and they are not likely to share them with feds unless there is evidences of a crime having been committed and a warrant is issued. Members of forums are totally anonymous unless they wish it to be otherwise, or a warrant is supplied, so I suggest that you stop the delusional nonsense.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:45 AM

31,634 posts, read 14,599,205 times
Quote:

The Feds have mentioned my personal user name? Where did you learn this and why would they do that since I'm no threat to anyone and am a law abiding American? You might want to read Mr. Lee's comments on this.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:15 PM

226 posts, read 100,243 times
Omg No! Nobody is checking your post or IP addresses.
This is America and everybody has freedom of speech and freedom to express their opinion.

You guys are against DACA; some of us favor it. The important thing here is that while we have different opinions, we need to respect one another.

Last edited by quique07; 01-30-2018 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or