U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 08:48 AM

62,353 posts, read 27,748,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
True. The sanctuary city policy means that the city legal system will no longer inform ICE when they have an intruder. But that may mean a midnight visit by ICE at a place a residence, which is far more dangerous than a jailhouse hand-off.

The whole issue may result in a Republican gain in 2018. Cities don't hold all the power, and they are really making a pain of themselves with this sanctuary city nonsense.
They're also going to HAVE to making increasing cuts to services for citizens and legal immigrants, as illegal aliens eat up more and more public, social, etc., service/program resources.

We'll see how far sanctuary city citizens and legal immigrants are willing to allow their lifestyles to fall before the backlashes start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 08:56 AM

5,742 posts, read 1,286,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post

Anyways...I truly do not care about people's immigration status. It will not get between us. The vast majority of undocumented immigrants are good people and I am sick of the anti-immigrant sentiment that is going around.

If I was a business owner, I would hire people regardless of their immigration status. There I said it!

*rant over*
If your friend truly is a good person like you claim why not legally immigrate here? Do they have a criminal record? Why intentionally break the law? For me I would not call a law breaker a good person. What makes them so special that the feel they don't have to do things the way millions of immigrants who legally moved here?

And if you were a business owner and you knowingly hired illegal aliens you would be committing a federal crime. Not something good people do either.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:58 AM

16,692 posts, read 8,635,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They're also going to HAVE to making increasing cuts to services for citizens and legal immigrants, as illegal aliens eat up more and more public, social, etc., service/program resources.

We'll see how far sanctuary city citizens and legal immigrants are willing to allow their lifestyles to fall before the backlashes start.
Don't be silly. No sane person would do that.

They can simply raise the taxes on the rich.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:01 AM

6,406 posts, read 2,257,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
If your friend truly is a good person like you claim why not legally immigrate here? Do they have a criminal record? Why intentionally break the law? For me I would not call a law breaker a good person. What makes them so special that the feel they don't have to do things the way millions of immigrants who legally moved here?

And if you were a business owner and you knowingly hired illegal aliens you would be committing a federal crime. Not something good people do either.

Apparently doing things legally is too much of an inconvenience.

Must be nice to just decide which laws you want to follow or not based on whether you think that it's just too much effort and that you're too special to get in line with everyone else.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:11 AM

12,553 posts, read 18,921,472 times
Was the original post designed to push all of the buttons? Is it for real?

Old 02-01-2018, 09:16 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,057,966 times
Quote:
My friend from a country in south America got a visa and will be visiting the USA in the next couple of months. He plans on working in construction or some under the books type of job. I'm guessing he does not plan to return to his country but his english isn't the greatest so it is difficult for us to communicate. We do anyways because we love each other and he is going to stay here.

He is a little anxious about being caught without his papers. Trump and anti immigrant people have truly come out to scare people that are in the shadows. It made me angry to think that these types are putting him through fear.

Anyways...I told him that there are a lot of immigrants, legal or not, in the new york metro area and that you should not have to fear deportation. (I truly am worried though with this monster in the white house)

Anyways...I truly do not care about people's immigration status. It will not get between us. The vast majority of undocumented immigrants are good people and I am sick of the anti-immigrant sentiment that is going around.

If I was a business owner, I would hire people regardless of their immigration status. There I said it!

*rant over*
Let me guess, this is a guy you meant on the internet, bet he is playing this out about the fear so you'll marry him. Many of these foreigners play Americans this way, so don't feel bad. You are encouraging him to break the laws to be with you, once he gets here and further into your head, it will be more likely that you will extend more and more assistance to him. You should read the laws on "harboring an illegal alien" and be weary of your emails that he may have making suggestions, he may sell you out in the end.

Quote:
We are working on communication through translation. I guess he doesn't want to apply for citizenship. It takes too long. I don't really care though. Borders will not stop us. I just want him to feel comfortable. I think he'll be safe in NY or NJ because they are sanctuary states but Trump has raised fears all over the world.
"Borders will not stop us." Yep, just as I thought. This should be in the Romantic Relationships area of the form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
And I firmly believe that all deportation should stop. It's truly a horrible thing to do. For felons, okay, but not regular people even if they are on the dole, who the **** cares. Don't deport people, that leads to horrible anomie and destroys families and lives. I am for more secure borders, but I feel so weird saying that like I might be judged harshly. Such a touchy subject.
So you don't believe we should enforce the laws of our country, or do you think we just should not enforce immigration laws? Who cares? Millions of Americans care. Maybe they aren't a felon yet or are and have been apprehended, but they all have broken our laws. We enforce our laws against our own citizens, why would we let foreigners get away with breaking them and just give them a pass? Not a "touchy subject" at all, it is about the law.

Quote:
Says somebody in the Bible Belt ...fine Christian hypocrisy at its finest.
Many Christians believe in law enforcement. Most Americans believe in law enforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Immigrants should keep trying to come here illegally if it is what is best for their families. See my quote above. I am more in favor of illegal immigration than legal immigration.
Most that come are single men, or single women dropping anchor babies as quick as they get over the border.

Quote:
I certainly will not let him know that because it just is not true it is also a very cruel scare tactic. I find it sickening how many Americans with a comfortable and easy life complain about 'their' taxes going to fund illegal immigrants. I'm sure it represents a nickle that Uncle Sam collects from you.

As I said earlier, your life is barely effected by undocumented immigrants. Fast and efficient labor improves the service sector which is the bread and butter of our economy. You won't find their type of work ethic coming from high school teens or lazy Americans. The undocumented need a fast and efficient path to citizenship.
It costs American taxpayers $117 billion a year, and many have lost their lives at the hands of illegal aliens.

Tell these people that their lives were barely effected by illegal aliens:

Victims of Illegal Aliens Memorial
Lives Impacted byf Illegal Immigration

And, you really need to read these:

https://medium.com/stories-of-immigr...rd-b3c8e5d9bdb
`Green Card` Brides Duped, Abandoned - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Seriously, you need to take a step back from this, and possibly get some counseling before moving ahead with this. Don't become another statistic!

I suspected by the rant "starry eyed..........."

Old 02-01-2018, 09:20 AM

62,353 posts, read 27,748,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Don't be silly. No sane person would do that.

They can simply raise the taxes on the rich.
Some cities/states are trying that. The rich are fleeing to lower-taxed cities/states.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:22 AM

9,834 posts, read 5,715,842 times
So where is your visiting friend going to live?

Old 02-01-2018, 09:23 AM

5,742 posts, read 1,286,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Apparently doing things legally is too much of an inconvenience.

Must be nice to just decide which laws you want to follow or not based on whether you think that it's just too much effort and that you're too special to get in line with everyone else.
I think seat belt laws are stupid but willfully violating that law is simply shooting myself in the foot so I click it.

Getting caught and deported when you can legally do it just because you don't like the law is also shooting yourself in the foot.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:42 AM

31,463 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
They still pay sales taxes and as I said before I am not excusing it, just explaining there are many other crimes worse than being an illegal immigrant.

Baloney. I guarantee you most native born Americans would refuse to work for $7.25/hour picking fruit in the 100 degree Texas sun in July (where I live). And no, $7.25/hour is not a fair wage, because Republicans refuse to increase it. As I said before, how many Americans e-verify their yard guy? How many Caucasian Americans work doing yards? Or housekeeping? Or as private nannies? Or doing nails in salons? Not many.

And no, it's not. It's called being a hypocrite when you're a criminal and blast others for being one.
Most who are anti-illegal immigration are not criminals themselves. Where are you getting that? Every country in the world has their own law breakers but does that mean they can't have immigration laws? I guess what you're saying is murder is worse than theft so we should excuse the latter and have no laws against theft? What kind of reasoning is that?

As for fruit picking only 2% of illegals are doing those jobs and there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers because it's not a career job for American and is only seasonal work. All other jobs Americans have always done for a fair wage before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border. E-verify needs to be mandated across the board. Most regular Americans make sure that that they aren't hiring illegal aliens so you point is moot. Why would you just mention Caucasian Americans? Hmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or