U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 04:51 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,234,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
My friend from a country in south America got a visa and will be visiting the USA in the next couple of months. He plans on working in construction or some under the books type of job. I'm guessing he does not plan to return to his country but his english isn't the greatest so it is difficult for us to communicate. We do anyways because we love each other and he is going to stay here.

He is a little anxious about being caught without his papers. Trump and anti immigrant people have truly come out to scare people that are in the shadows. It made me angry to think that these types are putting him through fear.

Anyways...I told him that there are a lot of immigrants, legal or not, in the new york metro area and that you should not have to fear deportation. (I truly am worried though with this monster in the white house)

Anyways...I truly do not care about people's immigration status. It will not get between us. The vast majority of undocumented immigrants are good people and I am sick of the anti-immigrant sentiment that is going around.

If I was a business owner, I would hire people regardless of their immigration status. There I said it!

*rant over*
Very sad indeed that you do not care about our laws, if you care that much for the person then why don't you go visit them in their country and then file a fiance(e) visa to bring them into our country legally, then there would be no worries of deportation. Circumventing the law is foolish, it is the exact reason many illegal aliens now have to worry about being deported and why they have to live with the ax of deportation hanging over their heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 05:42 PM

11,473 posts, read 5,504,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
Well now people can quit asking that stupid question, are u going to let them in your house lol. Awesome post btw.
So, does that mean you have taken several into your home? After all, you are applauding the OP for intending to do so. Good to know that you are putting your money where your mouth is

Old 02-01-2018, 07:18 PM

31,458 posts, read 14,559,147 times
Being opposed to illegal immigration is not being anti-"immigrant" and I for one am sick of hearing that lie.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:50 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,414,971 times
Quote:
I certainly will not let him know that because it just is not true it is also a very cruel scare tactic. I find it sickening how many Americans with a comfortable and easy life complain about 'their' taxes going to fund illegal immigrants. I'm sure it represents a nickle that Uncle Sam collects from you.

As I said earlier, your life is barely effected by undocumented immigrants. Fast and efficient labor improves the service sector which is the bread and butter of our economy. You won't find their type of work ethic coming from high school teens or lazy Americans. The undocumented need a fast and efficient path to citizenship.
Barely????? Have you seen or experienced LA traffic.
And one nickel is too much. How about your friend use his great skills to fix his own country.
Would he honestly want to come here if they're weren't so many middle class and well off Americans? Just asking

Old 02-01-2018, 08:15 PM

12,623 posts, read 12,065,272 times
Here is another thing (though it seems like you and your friend do not care);

Every time someone from a country overstays a visa, it makes it just that much harder for people to get a visa. SO through you and your friend's greed, you will be assisting in denying tourists and even family from visiting the US.

Due to people like your friend, I have several family members, close family members, that have never been granted a visa to come visit me because so many people have overstayed the visa in the past, it is now very difficult to get one, you basically have to be elderly, or married with kid but your spouse and kids will not be able to come with you.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:34 PM

44,321 posts, read 35,381,178 times
Quote:
My friend from a country in south America got a visa and will be visiting the USA in the next couple of months. He plans on working in construction or some under the books type of job. I'm guessing he does not plan to return to his country but his english isn't the greatest so it is difficult for us to communicate. We do anyways because we love each other and he is going to stay here.

He is a little anxious about being caught without his papers. Trump and anti immigrant people have truly come out to scare people that are in the shadows. It made me angry to think that these types are putting him through fear.

Anyways...I told him that there are a lot of immigrants, legal or not, in the new york metro area and that you should not have to fear deportation. (I truly am worried though with this monster in the white house)

Anyways...I truly do not care about people's immigration status. It will not get between us. The vast majority of undocumented immigrants are good people and I am sick of the anti-immigrant sentiment that is going around.

If I was a business owner, I would hire people regardless of their immigration status. There I said it!

*rant over*

Well, if you want hardened criminals who won't assimilate with other Americans to be part of your business, then have at it. Problem is, you'll be very sorry you did later on. That's great that you have a friend from South America, but if he truly --- one hundred percent --- wants to be here, then he's going to have to go through the process of getting legalized. That's the way it is.

If you owned a business, then you'd best stop and think about potential consequences when you focus on hoping to bring in those who don't live here and have no desire to assimilate, but rather, to harm. Your friend might not hurt anyone, but that won't be the sentiment of others like him. They are illegal aliens if they are not legal citizens. Sorry.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:39 PM

1,016 posts, read 552,739 times
So the friend plans on working/getting paid under the table when he arrives? That's rich. Not only is he breaking the law ("it takes too long") he isn't going to pay taxes. And doesn't speak English? Oh goody. The entitled attitude is yet another reason these law breakers are so disliked. Keep in mind, the friend is subject to deportation when he is caught because he is an illegal alien. And when he is caught, he will be barred from the US for ten years.

Trump is enforcing the laws already on the books but he is vilified. DACA was a temporary stop-gap because Obama couldn't get it passed so he issued an Executive Order. It was set to expire anyway. These poor "kids" (most in their 20s and 30s) were brought here by their illegal alien parents. Maybe the kids should put blame where it belongs, but then I have no doubt the parents have encouraged their rude and wanton behavior. After all, the kids can eventually sponsor their parents and dozens of other relatives once they become citizens.

Yup, it's complicated all right... if one chooses to ignore our immigration laws.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:53 AM

3,281 posts, read 911,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Being opposed to illegal immigration is not being anti-"immigrant" and I for one am sick of hearing that lie.
This is the sort of argument from the left that makes no sense whatsoever and the vast majority of rational and thinking people reject such idiocy.

Unfortunately, liberalism has become a religion with a closed orthodoxy. Once something becomes dogma within modern liberalism, one cannot challenge any aspect of it without being called out for heresy.

We see it time and time again, on issues across the board. They get a talking point and stick to it religiously even when it becomes obvious it makes no sense.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:31 PM

30,377 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Quote:

*rant over*

Good. Now it's my turn.

What nerve. Your buddy won't be "without papers" or "undocumented" (chuck the euphemisms) when that visa expires. He'll be an illegal alien who knowingly overstayed his visa.

Also, don't dare bastardize immigrants by conflating immigrants and illegal aliens. Immigrants come here LEGALLY, and are mindful of laws which require them to secure and maintain LEGAL status. Those here illegally flout the laws of this great country.

You sound proud of yourself ("There I said it!"). Don't be. You are as much a part of the illegal alien invasion problem as your buddy.

Believe it.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:38 AM

7,901 posts, read 6,472,299 times
You realize that’s a poem on a statue right? Not the text of a law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or