U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 08:56 AM

5,647 posts, read 3,198,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You realize that’s a poem on a statue right? Not the text of a law?
The Statue of Liberty came to NY Harbor in 1885. What were the immigration laws in the late 19th Century, or even early 20th Century? Passports, Visas, Green Cards? All those millions of immigrants coming to the US back then, let alone before, had them?

Exactly who would have been an "illegal" immigrant? A stowaway on a ship who didn't pay his passage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 08:59 AM

13,374 posts, read 7,310,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
The Statue of Liberty came to NY Harbor in 1885. What were the immigration laws in the late 19th Century, or even early 20th Century? Passports, Visas, Green Cards? All those millions of immigrants coming to the US back then, let alone before, had them?

Exactly who would have been an "illegal" immigrant? A stowaway on a ship who didn't pay his passage?
They had to go through places like Ellis Island with background, and medical checks. Immigration is a LEGAL process. Their are no "illegal immigrants". They had an extensive process that was mandated by law, even back then.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:17 AM

10,414 posts, read 4,091,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldtocare View Post
STATUE OF LIBERTY
“Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free/The wretched refuse of your teeming shore/Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me/I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

btw there were no "papers" required so using that excuse just doesn't fly

Here you go. There were strict rules about entering including proper identification and a health inspection. If you didn't meet these requirements, you were sent home packing and even possibly incarcerated.
I don't know where you got the idea that Ellis Island was a free for all admitting anyone who wanted to come in without any rules or if you're just making that up in hopes someone believes you. I had relatives come here from Europe through Ellis Island in the early 1900's and was told directly from them what it was like. The Statue of Liberty never was a symbol for uncontrolled immigration as much as you want to believe that. Stop spreading lies.

"Two agencies conducted the inspections and set the requirements for immigrants at Ellis Island. The United States Public Health Service conducted a medical inspection. Then, the Bureau of Immigration made a legal inspection. Together, the two inspections could take up to five hours. Then the immigrant would either be admitted to New York City, interned as an "alien radical" or deported."

Requirements for Immigrants at Ellis Island

Old 02-04-2018, 10:01 AM

2,784 posts, read 2,570,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
I certainly will not let him know that because it just is not true it is also a very cruel scare tactic. I find it sickening how many Americans with a comfortable and easy life complain about 'their' taxes going to fund illegal immigrants. I'm sure it represents a nickle that Uncle Sam collects from you.
Bull ****.

$113 BILLION a year is around $800 a year per federal tax payer. Those of us who are paying massive amounts of tax are paying around $8000+ a year. Year in year out.

Hope ICE catches up with your "friend" ASAP. Maybe ICE needs to see this thread and obtain your IP address and take it from there.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:50 PM

1,136 posts, read 676,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I am extremely socially liberal. I also want things like singlepayer health care, a higher minimum wage, and more taxes so we can have better services. My single conservative area? Immigration. It honestly makes my blood boil when people come here illegally and then demand concessions from our government. The fact that we have sanctuary cities where people who break the law are protected is just really amazing to me. The fact that we are arguing whether or not people who came here illegally as children--and who have been here for decades and had a government-given path to regularize their status but never did--should stay in this country or not is ludicrous to me. If you are here illegally, quite frankly you SHOULD be scared. You broke the law. In any other country you'd be shown the door.

Your friend should be anxious. He is coming here on a visa. A visa means he is not to stay here. You're telling us with a straight face that it's wrong that he is worried about the repercussions of breaking the law?! Well, gee, you don't say! I just cannot imagine the gall.

When I was living in another country (legally! I complied with immigration policies), there was an American couple in my circle of friends. They overstayed their welcome and flaunted it, thinking that "nobody would deport Americans!" Guess what? They got deported and summarily banned from the entire EU and Schengen Area for TEN YEARS. It was glorious!

Why are other countries allowed to enforce their borders and citizenship laws but we're not?!

It's so nice to live in a world where you don't have to follow laws. Maybe I'll stop paying taxes or wearing clothes when I'm outside. Might as well stop paying for groceries when I go food shopping too--it takes too long!
I am a liberal in some respects as you are. My main concern is our environment. Too many people degrade the land. Hint: China, India, Bangladesh. I do not want to live in a third world he!! hole. The Sierra Club used to have this as part of their platform. But, the ultra progressives made them change this.

It is not racist as I care less about the country of origin. We have too many people, period. Its time the illegals were sent packing, chain migration stopped, diversity lottery, anchor baby law interpreted as it was intended, chsnge illegal immigration to a felony and impose limits on legal immigration.

Your friend will be breaking our laws. How presumptuous. I hope he gets busted and returned. Then, he will really have a difficult time to immigrate legally. We don't want him and we don't need him.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
I certainly will not let him know that because it just is not true it is also a very cruel scare tactic. I find it sickening how many Americans with a comfortable and easy life complain about 'their' taxes going to fund illegal immigrants. I'm sure it represents a nickle that Uncle Sam collects from you.

As I said earlier, your life is barely effected by undocumented immigrants. Fast and efficient labor improves the service sector which is the bread and butter of our economy. You won't find their type of work ethic coming from high school teens or lazy Americans. The undocumented need a fast and efficient path to citizenship.
One nickle is TOO much. Most are illiterate even in their own language. You admitted that your friend has communication problems. Why do we want illiterate people? If you think we need hard workers, manual labor is being replaced by machines.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I had a deaf friend who communicated primarily through ASL. I know no ASL whatsoever. We communicated via writing notes. It was time consuming but his friendship was worth it. He has since died of AIDS The constant demonization of illegal immigrants is getting so old. They're here illegally. So what? Many, if not most of us have done illegal things: cheated on our taxes (if only a little), driven without insurance/speeding, failed to pay child support, etc). The majority of illegal immigrants do not break any other laws, and many of us hire illegal immigrants to do our yard work or housekeeping. Be honest: how many of you e-verify your yard guy? It is a fact that many illegal immigrants do brutally hard low paying work American citizens would not consider doing. Not only that, illegal immigrants pay taxes every day: sales taxes, if nothing else. Are they doing something wrong? Absolutely. They should take steps to be here legally. But people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, so unless you have never done anything illegal in your entire life (and that includes hiring illegal immigrants), you, and everyone else, have no right to talk about how evil illegal immigrants are.
I dont have a yard guy; we have a tractor and perform our own labor. Yes, they do harm us citizens through taking jobs that Americans can do because they work more cheaply due to cramming ten people to a house. They also crowd our schools and take away from other programs because of ESL and nutrition programs. If they oay sales taxes, these pay for the roads, schools, potable water and other services states provide. Wake up.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:44 PM

62,458 posts, read 27,779,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
They had to go through places like Ellis Island with background, and medical checks. Immigration is a LEGAL process. Their are no "illegal immigrants". They had an extensive process that was mandated by law, even back then.
Yep, and not everyone was allowed to enter the US. Many were sent back to their home countries when they couldn't pass immigration laws/standards/quotas.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:47 PM

32,802 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldtocare View Post
STATUE OF LIBERTY
“Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free/The wretched refuse of your teeming shore/Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me/I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

btw there were no "papers" required so using that excuse just doesn't fly

Hilarious quote from someone who died before it was even put on the statue. It was put on the statue because there was nothing else they could think of. We need to give the statue back.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:07 PM

1,528 posts, read 918,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
Most countries in Latin America and the Caribbean are not able to just give out vacation visas to anyone and everyone anymore. Usually, the person has to have some sort of assets, back at home (along with a job), before they can even qualify for a vacation visa.

If one is granted a vacation visa and stays beyond the deadline, immigration has their photo and last place of residence, along with all of their personal and family information, therefore, it's not exactly difficult to track them down...
It is hard to find expired visa holders here since ICE has lousy records.

Years ago, all aliens had to update their addresses every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or