Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 07:55 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times

Advertisements

"Mexican immigration, over the border, is a good thing. It’s a good thing for the illegal immigrants. It’s a good thing for the United States. It’s a good thing for the citizens of the country. But, it’s only good so long as its illegal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
New immigrants should be absorbed legally. Legal residents pay the same taxes and are eligible for the same benefits as everyone else.

Having large numbers of illegal immigrants means you have a defacto class of people who have no rights, and in large enough numbers it would create a huge underclass.
Immigrants should keep trying to come here illegally if it is what is best for their families. See my quote above. I am more in favor of illegal immigration than legal immigration.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:25 PM

It is the job of the US government to try to deport the OPs friend. It is the OPs friend's job to try to do whatever possible to stay in this country if this country can ultimately provide the opportunities that their country of origin refuses to provide to both him and his offspring. Work hard, lay low, stay out of trouble, and assimilate. That is the best thing your friend can do. If he can't, then he should be deported.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:34 PM

593 posts, read 470,724 times
We should be selective about who we let in, just a company is selective about hiring the best people. We don't need to import more poverty. We already have a surplus of unskilled labor and people in need of public assistance.

Additionally, we have a housing shortage and cannot accommodate more people unless they are adding a lot of value to the economy.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
We should be selective about who we let in, just a company is selective about hiring the best people. We don't need to import more poverty. We already have a surplus of unskilled labor and people in need of public assistance.

Additionally, we have a housing shortage and cannot accommodate more people unless they are adding a lot of value to the economy.
Nothing is more selective than cracking down on all immigration, and only those that can make it, make it. Survival of fittest, not welfare out of pity.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:41 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Why not just let illegals eligible to work in the US, but pay a double tax rate?

Win-Win.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:11 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Immigrants should keep trying to come here illegally if it is what is best for their families. See my quote above. I am more in favor of illegal immigration than legal immigration.
Sure, keep coming here and stay illegal and pay taxes and give their work for nothing. When it's time to retire they get nothing from the US Gov. They will be forced to stand on line at Sanctuary cities to collect benefits.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:42 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,453 times
My Mom worked for INS and the procedures were properly enforced.

To come here you needed medical clearance and money or a relative who promised to support you for 6 months.

You declared intent to become a citizen and got a green card.

Your probation was 5 years. A criminal conviction or applying for welfare got you back on the boat.

If you sneaked in, you were instantly deported. You could not become legitimized in the US.

You could then visit our embassy in your country and register. You then started at the bottom of the list.

This is the way it needs to be done. Why do you think many nearly eradicated diseases are returning.

We really should end almost all immigration anyway since the USA no longer has large empty areas to populate.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:03 AM

264 posts, read 239,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
My friend from a country in south America got a visa and will be visiting the USA in the next couple of months. He plans on working in construction or some under the books type of job. I'm guessing he does not plan to return to his country but his english isn't the greatest so it is difficult for us to communicate. We do anyways because we love each other and he is going to stay here.

He is a little anxious about being caught without his papers. Trump and anti immigrant people have truly come out to scare people that are in the shadows. It made me angry to think that these types are putting him through fear.

Anyways...I told him that there are a lot of immigrants, legal or not, in the new york metro area and that you should not have to fear deportation. (I truly am worried though with this monster in the white house)

Anyways...I truly do not care about people's immigration status. It will not get between us. The vast majority of undocumented immigrants are good people and I am sick of the anti-immigrant sentiment that is going around.

If I was a business owner, I would hire people regardless of their immigration status. There I said it!

*rant over*
Most countries in Latin America and the Caribbean are not able to just give out vacation visas to anyone and everyone anymore. Usually, the person has to have some sort of assets, back at home (along with a job), before they can even qualify for a vacation visa.

If one is granted a vacation visa and stays beyond the deadline, immigration has their photo and last place of residence, along with all of their personal and family information, therefore, it's not exactly difficult to track them down...

Old 01-28-2018, 10:07 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Coming as an illegal immigrant is never best for anyone's family or for the country. Immigration needs to be legally and the immigrant workers need to work on the books paying taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration