U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:36 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,681,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Hey dude, I'm a huge Bernie supporter too. He and I agree on everything except the issue of immigration. Truth be told, I think our country cannot in good faith accept a single immigrant (except spouses and minor children) until every single American has adequate food, housing, and shelter. Period. I also think our citizenship laws need to change ASAP. No more jus soli citizenship, period. In most of Europe the citizenship laws are jure sanguinis, based on the citizenship of your parents. That's how it should be in the U.S. too.

I would also like our country to stop participating in wars and destabilizing other governments, causing the need for immigration in the first place. But baby steps.
No political agenda needs that wall more than the platform Bernie runs on. Sanders is just too pus (or political) to admit that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 08:48 AM

428 posts, read 152,721 times
We definitely don't need a wall. That money should go to Americans who are needy and hungry first.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:56 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,281,941 times
Please stop with this stupid, idiotic, and untrue trope of "this country was built on immigration, therefore all immigration is good".

Yes, immigration has greatly benefited the US. However, large waves of immigrants were accepted at different times for specific reasons. It almost always had to do with either a severe domestic labor shortage or to put political pressure on adversary states. It's not that the US was so nice and loved immigrants so much. Immigrants serve(d) a purpose.

If SJW's keep this up, I'll be voting for Trump in 2020 (if he doesn't get impeached lol).

Old 02-01-2018, 12:04 AM

23,248 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Please stop with this stupid, idiotic, and untrue trope of "this country was built on immigration, therefore all immigration is good".

Yes, immigration has greatly benefited the US. However, large waves of immigrants were accepted at different times for specific reasons. It almost always had to do with either a severe domestic labor shortage or to put political pressure on adversary states. It's not that the US was so nice and loved immigrants so much. Immigrants serve(d) a purpose.

If SJW's keep this up, I'll be voting for Trump in 2020 (if he doesn't get impeached lol).
I doubt Trump will get impeached. No President has ever been impeached by members of his own party, and the Senate has never actually convicted a President.

I seriously doubt the Democrats will end up with a supermajority in the Senate, and I'm not even sure they'll do well in the midterm elections this year. They might, or they might not.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:06 AM

23,248 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
OP could always move back with boyfriend to his country of origin, no?
After OP checks the immigration laws of that country and makes sure he would be legal there. He'd need to see if gay marriage is legal in that country, and if it is he would need to marry the OP to get legal status there.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:24 AM

31,483 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
We definitely don't need a wall. That money should go to Americans who are needy and hungry first.

Oh yes we do! One of the reasons we have so many needy and hungry Americans is because illegal aliens have taken away their job opportunities and we are putting out over $100 billion year for the social costs of illegal aliens instead of our own needy citizens.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:28 AM

21,492 posts, read 10,398,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
My friend from a country in south America got a visa and will be visiting the USA in the next couple of months. He plans on working in construction or some under the books type of job. I'm guessing he does not plan to return to his country but his english isn't the greatest so it is difficult for us to communicate. We do anyways because we love each other and he is going to stay here.

He is a little anxious about being caught without his papers. Trump and anti immigrant people have truly come out to scare people that are in the shadows. It made me angry to think that these types are putting him through fear.

Anyways...I told him that there are a lot of immigrants, legal or not, in the new york metro area and that you should not have to fear deportation. (I truly am worried though with this monster in the white house)

Anyways...I truly do not care about people's immigration status. It will not get between us. The vast majority of undocumented immigrants are good people and I am sick of the anti-immigrant sentiment that is going around.

If I was a business owner, I would hire people regardless of their immigration status. There I said it!

*rant over*
You are aiding and abetting an illegal act. We do have laws.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:29 AM

20,014 posts, read 20,509,618 times
Quote:
We are working on communication through translation. I guess he doesn't want to apply for citizenship. It takes too long. I don't really care though. Borders will not stop us. I just want him to feel comfortable. I think he'll be safe in NY or NJ because they are sanctuary states but Trump has raised fears all over the world.
Not until he gets deported. Then you will go crying to the media with a sob story about how unfair it is he is being ripped away from XYZ.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I certainly will not let him know that because it just is not true it is also a very cruel scare tactic. I find it sickening how many Americans with a comfortable and easy life complain about 'their' taxes going to fund illegal immigrants. I'm sure it represents a nickle that Uncle Sam collects from you.

As I said earlier, your life is barely effected by undocumented immigrants. Fast and efficient labor improves the service sector which is the bread and butter of our economy. You won't find their type of work ethic coming from high school teens or lazy Americans. The undocumented need a fast and efficient path to citizenship.

You have no idea what you are talking about! Illegal aliens cost the taxpayer over $100 billion a year so it's a lot more than a nickel from each taxpayer.

All of our lives are negatively impacted by illegal immigration accept the greedy employers who hire them and there is no such thing as an undocumented either. American workers aren't inferior workers to illegal aliens and it's a lie that most Americans are lazy. Who do you think were doing all those jobs for a fair wage before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border? No, illegal aliens need to go back home where they belong. They have done nothing to earn our citizenship.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Immigrants should keep trying to come here illegally if it is what is best for their families. See my quote above. I am more in favor of illegal immigration than legal immigration.
It's not best for Americans families and who does this country belong to? No one has a right to a better life by breaking laws and taking from others what doesn't belong to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or