U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:43 AM

31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
There is no other country as gentle and generous with illegal immigrants as the USA. It is still the most sought after country to migrate to. And that is even after Trump got elected. So apparently when it comes down to it, no matter how racist we are in this country, foreigners are still willing to migrate here and overlook all the bigotry because at the end of the day, at least the bigots will allow them opportunities if they work hard. That is something their own greedy nations aren't willing to provide.

It's not bigoted to want immigrants to come here legally nor is it bigoted to oppose illegal immigration. We can't be the flophouse and employment agency to the whole world's needy without it negatively impacting our own citizens. Or don't they count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 07:45 AM

21,395 posts, read 10,656,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
My friend from a country in south America got a visa and will be visiting the USA in the next couple of months. He plans on working in construction or some under the books type of job. I'm guessing he does not plan to return to his country but his english isn't the greatest so it is difficult for us to communicate. We do anyways because we love each other and he is going to stay here.

He is a little anxious about being caught without his papers. Trump and anti immigrant people have truly come out to scare people that are in the shadows. It made me angry to think that these types are putting him through fear.

Anyways...I told him that there are a lot of immigrants, legal or not, in the new york metro area and that you should not have to fear deportation. (I truly am worried though with this monster in the white house)

Anyways...I truly do not care about people's immigration status. It will not get between us. The vast majority of undocumented immigrants are good people and I am sick of the anti-immigrant sentiment that is going around.

If I was a business owner, I would hire people regardless of their immigration status. There I said it!

*rant over*
If he show up and the Customs and Border Protection Officer sees no return ticket airline ticket when he gets off the plane, things will go downhill rapidly from that point. If the officer suspects he is an intended immigrant, he will cancel the visa, issue a expedited removal which will ban him from the US for five years. How do I know this? I used to be an immigration inspector before I started driving trains for a living. Things have gotten tougher since my time doing the job.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:46 AM

31,500 posts, read 14,573,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
No judgement here.

I personally don't care about the undocumented immigrants who are here working, or have businesses, or simply are here because there is nothing for them in their home country. They aren't the problem.

I am fine with deporting individuals for felony crimes.

I've seen too many cases of deportation where they are targeting people who have been here for years and sending young adults back to a country they don't even know

There is a solution somewhere for both more secure borders and working with existing undocumented immigrants to give them a path to citizenship but I'm not an expert and don't pretend to have all the answers.

They aren't undocumented immigrants they are illegal aliens. No one has a right to come here illegally or to work here illegally or don't laws mean anything to you? Yes, they are a problem. They have taken once good paying blue-collared jobs from Americans by working for less and cost us over $100 billion a year. They have overcrowded our schools, jail, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods. I suggest you educate yourself on this issue and learn some respect for the rule of law.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:48 AM

21,395 posts, read 10,656,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
If you want this friend to stay in the US you can marry him and automatically turn him into a US citizen.
Incorrect.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:48 AM

15,669 posts, read 18,217,507 times
Quote:
Anyways...I told him that there are a lot of immigrants, legal or not, in the new york metro area and that you should not have to fear deportation.
You told him false information. Any immigrant who is staying in the United States illegally can face deportation at any time, according to this country's immigration laws.

Just because an illegal immigrant has not been deported in the last 20 years does not mean they can't be deported today.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:51 AM

13,159 posts, read 7,398,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So why cant they become citizens? You might as well let them all stay at your house too then

How do you have a friend that you cant communicate with properly due to language barrier?

What??
I had a deaf friend who communicated primarily through ASL. I know no ASL whatsoever. We communicated via writing notes. It was time consuming but his friendship was worth it. He has since died of AIDS The constant demonization of illegal immigrants is getting so old. They're here illegally. So what? Many, if not most of us have done illegal things: cheated on our taxes (if only a little), driven without insurance/speeding, failed to pay child support, etc). The majority of illegal immigrants do not break any other laws, and many of us hire illegal immigrants to do our yard work or housekeeping. Be honest: how many of you e-verify your yard guy? It is a fact that many illegal immigrants do brutally hard low paying work American citizens would not consider doing. Not only that, illegal immigrants pay taxes every day: sales taxes, if nothing else. Are they doing something wrong? Absolutely. They should take steps to be here legally. But people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, so unless you have never done anything illegal in your entire life (and that includes hiring illegal immigrants), you, and everyone else, have no right to talk about how evil illegal immigrants are.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:57 AM

6,909 posts, read 11,694,838 times
Quote:
My friend from a country in south America got a visa and will be visiting the USA in the next couple of months. He plans on working in construction or some under the books type of job. I'm guessing he does not plan to return to his country but his english isn't the greatest so it is difficult for us to communicate. We do anyways because we love each other and he is going to stay here.

He is a little anxious about being caught without his papers. Trump and anti immigrant people have truly come out to scare people that are in the shadows. It made me angry to think that these types are putting him through fear.

Anyways...I told him that there are a lot of immigrants, legal or not, in the new york metro area and that you should not have to fear deportation. (I truly am worried though with this monster in the white house)

Anyways...I truly do not care about people's immigration status. It will not get between us. The vast majority of undocumented immigrants are good people and I am sick of the anti-immigrant sentiment that is going around.

If I was a business owner, I would hire people regardless of their immigration status. There I said it!

*rant over*

I too don't care. As long as bank robbers don't use a gun and are only taking the money to feed their starving kids what difference should it make? The banks got lots of money. They even got insurance to replace that money if they do get robbed. It's not like it's really their money anyway. At least bank robbers are trying to do something constructive. It's not like they are just sitting around all day collecting welfare and food stamps. Really a person should be able to walk into any police station around the country and say "I was thinking about robbing a bank but could you guys spot me a couple of hundred bucks so I can buy milk, diapers and cheetos instead?" That's a legit way to do things.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:00 AM

62,405 posts, read 27,779,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Creating massive welfare problems for the sanctuary cities. As well as social problems.
Hard to feel sorry for them; they're getting EXACTLY what they've asked for.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:01 AM

2,573 posts, read 1,043,259 times
Quote:

*rant over*
You don't care that he will be working off the books in the construction industry?

Old 02-01-2018, 08:14 AM

62,405 posts, read 27,779,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
How can this country truly address immigration when our constitution allows for anchor babies.
Actually, it doesn't.

I could go into a lot more detail on this, but for the sake of brevity, this is all you really need to know:

Look at CURRENT US Nationality Law. I'm specifically referring to subsections (a) and (b) in the following linked CURRENT Federal Law. If "everyone" born in the US were actually automatically US citizens via the 14th Amendment, subsection (b) would be redundant and would be neither included nor necessary:

The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:

(a) a person born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof;

(b) a person born in the United States to a member of an Indian, Eskimo, Aleutian, or other aboriginal tribe: Provided, That the granting of citizenship under this subsection shall not in any manner impair or otherwise affect the right of such person to tribal or other property

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1401

You need to understand WHY that specific legal exception had to be made for US-born Indians (Native Americans), Eskimos, Aleutians, and other US aboriginals to understand WHY not all those born in the US are automatically US Citizens.

(Hint: It's because they are born subject to a foreign sovereign entity. So are illegal aliens' children, but no legal exception has ever been made for them as was made for US-born aboriginals in 1924 - LONG after the ratification of the 14th Amendment.)

Last edited by InformedConsent; 02-01-2018 at 08:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or