Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 08:11 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times

Advertisements

Exactly! Immigration makes this country great. My grandparents were all immigrants except one.

So if you want to come here do it the right way. Don't be a drain on society. Don't come here illegally, bring all your family members, and then cry when you are deported. YOU are in the wrong. YOU have flouted the laws of this country.

And if you can't immigrate here legally, go somewhere where you CAN. Be productive and be successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 12:58 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
'Orange is the New Black' actress: My parents were deported

Old 01-27-2018, 01:03 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
my family were all immigrant scrubs not that many generations ago. I don't think we added anything positive to this country to be honest, probably a net-loss really. I don't care who comes here though, or what happens to America or Earth since i'm a nihilist at heart anyway.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:05 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
And I firmly believe that all deportation should stop. It's truly a horrible thing to do. For felons, okay, but not regular people even if they are on the dole, who the **** cares. Don't deport people, that leads to horrible anomie and destroys families and lives. I am for more secure borders, but I feel so weird saying that like I might be judged harshly. Such a touchy subject.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:08 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
My friend from a country in south America got a visa and will be visiting the USA in the next couple of months. He plans on working in construction or some under the books type of job. I'm guessing he does not plan to return to his country but his english isn't the greatest so it is difficult for us to communicate. We do anyways because we love each other and he is going to stay here.

He is a little anxious about being caught without his papers. Trump and anti immigrant people have truly come out to scare people that are in the shadows. It made me angry to think that these types are putting him through fear.

Anyways...I told him that there are a lot of immigrants, legal or not, in the new york metro area and that you should not have to fear deportation. (I truly am worried though with this monster in the white house)

Anyways...I truly do not care about people's immigration status. It will not get between us. The vast majority of undocumented immigrants are good people and I am sick of the anti-immigrant sentiment that is going around.

If I was a business owner, I would hire people regardless of their immigration status. There I said it!

*rant over*
The only monster in this story is your friend.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:32 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,640,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The only monster in this story is your friend.
Says somebody in the Bible Belt ...fine Christian hypocrisy at its finest.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:43 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
And I firmly believe that all deportation should stop. It's truly a horrible thing to do. For felons, okay, but not regular people even if they are on the dole, who the **** cares. Don't deport people, that leads to horrible anomie and destroys families and lives. I am for more secure borders, but I feel so weird saying that like I might be judged harshly. Such a touchy subject.
Wtf?

I care.

Come here legally and WORK like most Americans. Coming here and sponging off the tax payers? Nope.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:52 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,640,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I feel the same way. I don't know if it's because I have a warm heart or A cold one. I guess nihilism can Be breed either way.

The US can absorb many more immigrants. We have corporations that dodge hundreds of millions in taxes because of cryonism or slick tax lawyers/accountants. I do not hate the military or blue collar folks that join our armed forces but I do not respect the funding that goes into the military-industrial complex.

We've become a nation that fears and goes on the defense or offense due to our fears.

I have an uncle that is a republican. He lives in an all white outer ring suburb in Kansas City that always votes 80-90 percent for the GOP candidate. He's cheap and ungenerous yet makes Just shy of a million a year. He complains using all the right wing talking points about illegal immigrants being a drain on our economy. Illegal immigrants do not effect him. He's in his lily white suburb and does not have to deal with them!

He's made crass and racist comments in the past about minorities. He's never around them! This goes for a significant amount of Fox News viewers and those opposed to immigration.

The USA is not a melting pot. We are a salad bowl and that is totally fine.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:27 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
My friend from a country in south America got a visa and will be visiting the USA in the next couple of months. He plans on working in construction or some under the books type of job. I'm guessing he does not plan to return to his country but his english isn't the greatest so it is difficult for us to communicate. We do anyways because we love each other and he is going to stay here.

He is a little anxious about being caught without his papers. Trump and anti immigrant people have truly come out to scare people that are in the shadows. It made me angry to think that these types are putting him through fear.

Anyways...I told him that there are a lot of immigrants, legal or not, in the new york metro area and that you should not have to fear deportation. (I truly am worried though with this monster in the white house)

Anyways...I truly do not care about people's immigration status. It will not get between us. The vast majority of undocumented immigrants are good people and I am sick of the anti-immigrant sentiment that is going around.

If I was a business owner, I would hire people regardless of their immigration status. There I said it!

*rant over*
There was never a requirement for businesses to check the immigration status of immigrants until Reagan gave amnesty to immigrants in the 80s. In exchange for giving amnesty, employers were required by law to have proof of legal status to work in the US.

So it sounds like your friend wants to come here on a tourist visa, and ILLEGALLY stay beyond the time granted for him to be here.

In 2017, arrests were up by 42% in terms of ICE busting illegal immigrants. Trump isn't just talking, he is serious. ICE targets communities in places with lots of immigrants like NY and NJ. ICE sends agents in to sanctuary cities.

Honestly, your friend should fine a legal way to be in the US long term (student or work visa) or he should check out other Western countries to work out some sort of legal status there. Moving to a new country to work off the books as an illegal harms not only the countries citizens, but legal immigrants who pay taxes. Your friend will be using public services like transportation, the libraries, etc but won't be paying taxes on them.

Lastly is this your boyfriend? You've been solidly Republican, and I can't just see you turning a new leaf over on something like this topic unless things got pretty personal. If he's your boyfriend, you can marry him and he can apply for citizenship that way.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 01-27-2018 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-27-2018, 02:29 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
I feel the same way. I don't know if it's because I have a warm heart or A cold one. I guess nihilism can Be breed either way.

The US can absorb many more immigrants. We have corporations that dodge hundreds of millions in taxes because of cryonism or slick tax lawyers/accountants. I do not hate the military or blue collar folks that join our armed forces but I do not respect the funding that goes into the military-industrial complex.

We've become a nation that fears and goes on the defense or offense due to our fears.

I have an uncle that is a republican. He lives in an all white outer ring suburb in Kansas City that always votes 80-90 percent for the GOP candidate. He's cheap and ungenerous yet makes Just shy of a million a year. He complains using all the right wing talking points about illegal immigrants being a drain on our economy. Illegal immigrants do not effect him. He's in his lily white suburb and does not have to deal with them!

He's made crass and racist comments in the past about minorities. He's never around them! This goes for a significant amount of Fox News viewers and those opposed to immigration.

The USA is not a melting pot. We are a salad bowl and that is totally fine.
New immigrants should be absorbed legally. Legal residents pay the same taxes and are eligible for the same benefits as everyone else.

Having large numbers of illegal immigrants means you have a defacto class of people who have no rights, and in large enough numbers it would create a huge underclass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration