U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 09:27 PM

630 posts, read 1,093,712 times

Advertisements

My friend from a country in south America got a visa and will be visiting the USA in the next couple of months. He plans on working in construction or some under the books type of job. I'm guessing he does not plan to return to his country but his english isn't the greatest so it is difficult for us to communicate. We do anyways because we love each other and he is going to stay here.

He is a little anxious about being caught without his papers. Trump and anti immigrant people have truly come out to scare people that are in the shadows. It made me angry to think that these types are putting him through fear.

Anyways...I told him that there are a lot of immigrants, legal or not, in the new york metro area and that you should not have to fear deportation. (I truly am worried though with this monster in the white house)

Anyways...I truly do not care about people's immigration status. It will not get between us. The vast majority of undocumented immigrants are good people and I am sick of the anti-immigrant sentiment that is going around.

If I was a business owner, I would hire people regardless of their immigration status. There I said it!

*rant over*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 09:40 PM

19,155 posts, read 32,695,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
My friend from a country in south America got a visa and will be visiting the USA in the next couple of months. He plans on working in construction or some under the books type of job. I'm guessing he does not plan to return to his country but his english isn't the greatest so it is difficult for us to communicate. We do anyways because we love each other and he is going to stay here.

He is a little anxious about being caught without his papers. Trump and anti immigrant people have truly come out to scare people that are in the shadows. It made me angry to think that these types are putting him through fear.

Anyways...I told him that there are a lot of immigrants, legal or not, in the new york metro area and that you should not have to fear deportation. (I truly am worried though with this monster in the white house)

Anyways...I truly do not care about people's immigration status. It will not get between us. The vast majority of undocumented immigrants are good people and I am sick of the anti-immigrant sentiment that is going around.

If I was a business owner, I would hire people regardless of their immigration status. There I said it!

*rant over*
So why cant they become citizens? You might as well let them all stay at your house too then

How do you have a friend that you cant communicate with properly due to language barrier?

What??

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-26-2018, 09:53 PM

630 posts, read 1,093,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So why cant they become citizens? You might as well let them all stay at your house too then

How do you have a friend that you cant communicate with properly due to language barrier?

What??
We are working on communication through translation. I guess he doesn't want to apply for citizenship. It takes too long. I don't really care though. Borders will not stop us. I just want him to feel comfortable. I think he'll be safe in NY or NJ because they are sanctuary states but Trump has raised fears all over the world.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:25 PM

437 posts, read 153,752 times
Cool story, bro.

The fact of the matter is that every sovereign nation has the right not only to enforce its borders but to expel people who are illegally residing within them.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:24 AM

9,926 posts, read 7,693,725 times
Your friend must be relieved that Obama is no longer in office.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:33 AM

30,341 posts, read 31,211,318 times
Feelings have no connection to one's legal status. So one can like anyone no matter what their legal status is in the USA. But anyone planning on being here illegally needs to be aware that they can be deported at time.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:46 AM

437 posts, read 153,752 times
I am extremely socially liberal. I also want things like singlepayer health care, a higher minimum wage, and more taxes so we can have better services. My single conservative area? Immigration. It honestly makes my blood boil when people come here illegally and then demand concessions from our government. The fact that we have sanctuary cities where people who break the law are protected is just really amazing to me. The fact that we are arguing whether or not people who came here illegally as children--and who have been here for decades and had a government-given path to regularize their status but never did--should stay in this country or not is ludicrous to me. If you are here illegally, quite frankly you SHOULD be scared. You broke the law. In any other country you'd be shown the door.

Your friend should be anxious. He is coming here on a visa. A visa means he is not to stay here. You're telling us with a straight face that it's wrong that he is worried about the repercussions of breaking the law?! Well, gee, you don't say! I just cannot imagine the gall.

When I was living in another country (legally! I complied with immigration policies), there was an American couple in my circle of friends. They overstayed their welcome and flaunted it, thinking that "nobody would deport Americans!" Guess what? They got deported and summarily banned from the entire EU and Schengen Area for TEN YEARS. It was glorious!

Why are other countries allowed to enforce their borders and citizenship laws but we're not?!

Quote:
We are working on communication through translation. I guess he doesn't want to apply for citizenship. It takes too long. I don't really care though. Borders will not stop us. I just want him to feel comfortable. I think he'll be safe in NY or NJ because they are sanctuary states but Trump has raised fears all over the world.
It's so nice to live in a world where you don't have to follow laws. Maybe I'll stop paying taxes or wearing clothes when I'm outside. Might as well stop paying for groceries when I go food shopping too--it takes too long!

Old 01-27-2018, 07:24 AM

849 posts, read 452,737 times
Must be nice to be so above the law you can not care about it

Old 01-27-2018, 07:28 AM

3,333 posts, read 3,284,010 times
Quote:

*rant over*
Youre kind of biased. Don't you think?

Old 01-27-2018, 07:51 AM

2,187 posts, read 1,536,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I am extremely socially liberal. I also want things like singlepayer health care, a higher minimum wage, and more taxes so we can have better services. My single conservative area? Immigration. It honestly makes my blood boil when people come here illegally and then demand concessions from our government. The fact that we have sanctuary cities where people who break the law are protected is just really amazing to me. The fact that we are arguing whether or not people who came here illegally as children--and who have been here for decades and had a government-given path to regularize their status but never did--should stay in this country or not is ludicrous to me. If you are here illegally, quite frankly you SHOULD be scared. You broke the law. In any other country you'd be shown the door.

Your friend should be anxious. He is coming here on a visa. A visa means he is not to stay here. You're telling us with a straight face that it's wrong that he is worried about the repercussions of breaking the law?! Well, gee, you don't say! I just cannot imagine the gall.

When I was living in another country (legally! I complied with immigration policies), there was an American couple in my circle of friends. They overstayed their welcome and flaunted it, thinking that "nobody would deport Americans!" Guess what? They got deported and summarily banned from the entire EU and Schengen Area for TEN YEARS. It was glorious!

Why are other countries allowed to enforce their borders and citizenship laws but we're not?!

It's so nice to live in a world where you don't have to follow laws. Maybe I'll stop paying taxes or wearing clothes when I'm outside. Might as well stop paying for groceries when I go food shopping too--it takes too long!
Very good point.

The fact that people came here illegally and not scare, is just absurd. You know you might get deported if you don't have legal status in the country. Regardless if you committed any crime or not, being here illegally without legal documentation is an act of crime (of course, there are circumstances, but I am not referring to those exceptional circumstances). I am not against those immigrants without proper documents who never committed any crime since they got here, but they should definitely be worry about getting caught and deported.

If people came here illegally and simply get the right to become a citizens, I might as well committ some crime in the first place, such as stealing, and when I am caught, I will just tell them I am sorry and I will change.

I don't have a problem outsiders come to the country and try to set up a family, but they have to pay their due, such as paying taxes and be a law abiding citizens. Just because some of you came from a different background, it doesn't justify any kind of crime being committed in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or