U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 07:08 AM

21,426 posts, read 7,135,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Weren't illegal crossings declining anyways with all this chatter about immigration, etc. and folks being deported.
With Dems trying to block Trump's policy's it spiked up again.

Thus a need for the wall will always be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 07:12 AM

32,526 posts, read 17,643,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Of course it will work. That is why anyone who is against stopping illegal immigration and the flow of illegal drugs is against building the wall:

The far left
The US Chamber of Commerce
The Mexican Government
The Mexican and International Drug Cartels
Street drug dealers in the US.

All the above benefit from an open border.
I live on the border.

I've lived on the border for decades.

I used to cross it twice a day when I worked in a maquila.

It's way more secure today than it was years ago.

Tell me all about your own border experiences.

Please.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:14 AM

6,934 posts, read 3,013,817 times
The Yuma fencing (and that's how it is referred to in the article) was built in 2006. Check your calendars...it's 2018 now.

Technology has taken giant leaps in the past 12 years. The iPhone for example (introduced in 2007).

Don't need a wall. Or much more fencing. Security should be technology-based.

A wall is a monument to the past; a monument to stupidity.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:18 AM

19,004 posts, read 10,686,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
With Dems trying to block Trump's policy's it spiked up again.

Thus a need for the wall will always be there.
I heard it was way down. They said that arrests for illegal crossings are down 46 percent in 2017. In December Homeland security said illegal crossings were down.

See -- part of the problem -- different information to support different arguments.

Do we believe Homeland Security on this ?

Old 01-31-2018, 07:18 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,221,934 times
Purpose built walls definitely work. The new wall will serve the border well.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:26 AM

32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
I heard it was way down. They said that arrests for illegal crossings are down 46 percent in 2017. In December Homeland security said illegal crossings were down.

See -- part of the problem -- different information to support different arguments.

They are at best guesses. If we knew every single person that came here illegally we could easily remove them but we don't. Census is useless for this.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:33 AM

694 posts, read 195,240 times
Quote:

It was going down. Years ago, there was a report about how the better Mexico's economy was getting, the less illegals we were getting.

Oh, and let's not forget the reportings on how Mexico many years ago, started getting worse AFTER conservatives started implementing their policies.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:38 AM

10,012 posts, read 5,742,813 times
We must recall that the skeptics (including myself) did not believe Donald JOHN Trump for one moment when he proclaimed that Mexico would pay for the Wall. That was the promise he made over and over again to his chanting crowds.

Most are for good border security, but most did not believe his nonsense that Mexico would pay for a wall.

Of course, we must also recall that Mr. Trump has scaled back, to a markedly extent, how long said wall would be. He gave up on his 2,000 mile wall soon after being elected.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:44 AM

31,471 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
We must recall that the skeptics (including myself) did not believe Donald JOHN Trump for one moment when he proclaimed that Mexico would pay for the Wall. That was the promise he made over and over again to his chanting crowds.

Most are for good border security, but most did not believe his nonsense that Mexico would pay for a wall.

Of course, we must also recall that Mr. Trump has scaled back, to a markedly extent, how long said wall would be. He gave up on his 2,000 mile wall soon after being elected.

So your concern is only for who's going to pay for it rather than the necessity of securing our southern border? Again, Trump never said that Mexico would write a check for the wall. He does however have a plan for them to reimburse us for it. Either way it's well needed.

There is no need for a 2,000 mile long wall and Trump realizes that now. All that needs to be completed is the 700 mile long wall along the most porous areas of our border already approved by congress but no matter what you people will argue about who's going to pay for it and that it's too costly when your arguments have been debunked over and over.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:45 AM

5,742 posts, read 1,286,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I live on the border.

I've lived on the border for decades.

I used to cross it twice a day when I worked in a maquila.

It's way more secure today than it was years ago.

Tell me all about your own border experiences.

Please.

I live about 45 minutes from the border and cross over frequently. I have lots of friends and acquaintances who live and work in the state of Sonora. I have a close friend who worked for years in a fabrica which is what Mexicans call the maquilas as you call it. I love Mexica and its people. Lots of good people in a country that has serious issues to deal with.

Yes the border is more secure near population centers. Yes its harder today for smugglers to get drugs and people across the border. I know people who engaged in that sort of activity in the past. Some got caught some were lucky. All tell me they would not dare do it now. A big reason is because its more likely they would be caught. Plus the secondary checkpoints also deter this sort of thing. For selfish reasons I hate the secondary checkpoints. It just slows things down and there is always a chance they will pull you aside and search your vehicle (never has actually happened to me as of yet).

A primary reason many Mexicans in Mexico are against the wall is because some have turned it into a racial issue. They are offended by that. That tactic has been effective in many ways but obscures the real reasons those with skin the game do not want it.

I think it makes sense on several fronts to have a secure border. Nothing will be 100% just like making your home or car secure will never be 100%. The money spent do it is a drop in the bucket as a percentage of the federal budget and most of that money will go right back into the economy in wages and taxes.

We should know what and who crosses into our country. It will never be 100% but it needs to improve from its current state.

I think the arguments against it are bogus. Its racist, it won't work and its too expensive. None of those are true IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or