Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:47 AM

15,361 posts, read 12,553,991 times

Advertisements

why folks acting like rich people don't take advantage of illegals?

why folks act like their favorite restaurant doesn't have an illegal in the kitchen cooking their food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 08:50 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,822,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
why folks acting like rich people don't take advantage of illegals?

why folks act like their favorite restaurant doesn't have an illegal in the kitchen cooking their food?
This has been part of the problem for years. federal, state, local govts, businesses and consumers all just looked the other way with illegal immigration, particularly from Mexico. That's the reason there are so many 'dreamers'.

Inaction was misunderstood to mean tolerance for this kind of immigration.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:54 AM

29,832 posts, read 11,406,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
It was going down. Years ago, there was a report about how the better Mexico's economy was getting, the less illegals we were getting.

Oh, and let's not forget the reportings on how Mexico many years ago, started getting worse AFTER conservatives started implementing their policies.
A big chunk of the illegals crossing now are Central Americans. And things are not getting better there. And it has nothing to do with what political party is in charge here. A big reason the Mexican government does not want a wall is because they want these Central Americans to keep moving north and not get stuck on the Mexican side of the US border.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:03 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,215,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Now that the Welcome mat has been taken up and we have a President that is trying to enforce our most basic laws on immigration the flow across the border has been reduced but we still need a wall.

The Dems love their illegal aliens as they are looking to them as their future voter base. A Dem could be back in charge in 2020 and anything that Trump has done on paper to help protect America can be easily ripped up but a wall is permanent.

It is ridiculous that the Dems actual encourage people to break the law and skip the immigration line. It is just wrong but Trump is the bad guy for trying to enforce the law?

Build a wall and protect America. I believe that America and all it stands for is worth protecting.
You live on the Cape. Tell us how a wall will improve your day to day life. We'll wait.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:46 AM

2,649 posts, read 1,830,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Purpose built walls definitely work. The new wall will serve the border well.
Question. What about the tunnels? What a waste of money. The money could be used for infrastructure of bridges and roads. The money could be used for health research. And, yes someday when there are more brilliant leaders that actually think before they speak or proceed with stupidity, the walls can come down.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:01 AM

2,635 posts, read 1,941,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Question. What about the tunnels? What a waste of money. The money could be used for infrastructure of bridges and roads. The money could be used for health research. And, yes someday when there are more brilliant leaders that actually think before they speak or proceed with stupidity, the walls can come down.
Thus, enter the technology based security that many are asking for. Your issue is solved.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:03 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,435,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This has been part of the problem for years. federal, state, local govts, businesses and consumers all just looked the other way with illegal immigration, particularly from Mexico. That's the reason there are so many 'dreamers'.

Inaction was misunderstood to mean tolerance for this kind of immigration.
Why particularly mexico? You think that's the only way people are getting here? We have this new technology called planes numerous countries use it to

Old 01-31-2018, 10:08 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,087,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I'm all for it. In fact, why stop there, let's put a moat all the way around the country and stock it with alligators. Maybe put drawbridges up at all entry points, with armed guards who could say things like "Who goes there ??".

Someone needs to propose that to Trump, I bet he would say he invented the idea.
Add sharks with frickin’ laser beams!

Old 01-31-2018, 10:22 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,804,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Well, since most of the land along the Rio Grande is privately owned, it will be a long time before a wall is built along the river, cutting the land owners off from the riverfront property the own.

It will also crate a no-man's land in many places between the river and any wall since in most places a wall can't be built along the river because it's impractical or against international treaty if it affect the river in any way. We'll basically just be ceding that land over to Mexico.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:34 AM

50,059 posts, read 46,593,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
i live about 45 minutes from the border and cross over frequently. I have lots of friends and acquaintances who live and work in the state of sonora. I have a close friend who worked for years in a fabrica which is what mexicans call the maquilas as you call it. I love mexica and its people. Lots of good people in a country that has serious issues to deal with.

Yes the border is more secure near population centers. Yes its harder today for smugglers to get drugs and people across the border. I know people who engaged in that sort of activity in the past. Some got caught some were lucky. All tell me they would not dare do it now. A big reason is because its more likely they would be caught. Plus the secondary checkpoints also deter this sort of thing. For selfish reasons i hate the secondary checkpoints. It just slows things down and there is always a chance they will pull you aside and search your vehicle (never has actually happened to me as of yet).

A primary reason many mexicans in mexico are against the wall is because some have turned it into a racial issue. They are offended by that. That tactic has been effective in many ways but obscures the real reasons those with skin the game do not want it.

I think it makes sense on several fronts to have a secure border. Nothing will be 100% just like making your home or car secure will never be 100%. The money spent do it is a drop in the bucket as a percentage of the federal budget and most of that money will go right back into the economy in wages and taxes.

We should know what and who crosses into our country. It will never be 100% but it needs to improve from its current state.

I think the arguments against it are bogus. Its racist, it won't work and its too expensive. None of those are true imho.
this ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration