U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 12:29 AM

5,847 posts, read 3,319,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Do it's not MAGA. Do you have any idea what this will do to our economy.

Yes. More jobs for Americans, and force employers to stop paying under the table. (And no, I'm not a right-winger. My politics lean left and I care deeply for underpaid, unemployed AMERICANS of all sorts, colors, genders, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 12:29 AM

736 posts, read 224,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
We have many Americans doing these jobs in our area. And they speak English.
There are many cities or towns where Americans do these jobs. I been to a few. Areas that are predominately white. I seen white hotel cleaners, garden workers, dish washers, cooks, and so forth. It was a shock at first. In Southern California, these jobs are done by Latinos, majority without proper papers and who can't speak a lick of English, which is why natalie469 thinks that these jobs are mostly done by illegals. In the area and state she lives in, the majority of these jobs are probably done by illegals. If Trump wanted to punish these liberals states, then passing legislation that would reduce, deport, or punish business that employ illegals would be ideal.

Last edited by NekoLogic; 02-01-2018 at 12:38 AM..

Old 02-01-2018, 12:54 AM

18,067 posts, read 17,198,889 times
Quote:
Of course there would. Who are going to be the bus boys and dishwashers in restaurants who also mop floors and clean the bathrooms. This is just one example. No American wants to do these menial tasks. Would you want to do it, I know I wouldn't. But please tell me how many Americans are lining up and dying to do these jobs but can't get them because illegals are doing them
Americans. And are these illegals getting health care and education and food and a place to live? Or are the rest of us supposed to pay for that. When these illegals have kids, are their kids going to want to do these low level/entry level jobs? No. They'll feel entitled to college and better jobs. It's a slippery slope to hire illegals to take on the low level jobs. I'm a liberal and most liberals don't want this sort of thing going on.

Last edited by in_newengland; 02-01-2018 at 05:25 AM..

Old 02-01-2018, 12:59 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,157,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
We have many Americans doing these jobs in our area. And they speak English.
We do here, as well.

What about areas that don't have an illegal alien workforce? Areas that are not "sanctuary", areas like mine, where the demographics are 97 percent white, where you do not find any Hispanics, illegal or otherwise.

All the janitors, grounds crew, maintenance workers, and cafeteria staff, including myself, in the school district where I work are English speaking Americans. We have no issues doing our jobs.

Our local restaurants/pizza joints hire high school kids, college students, -retired seniors, moms working part time, and empty nest moms. All English speaking Americans

The local farms hire high school and college kids during picking season. I've worked several summers myself picking tomatoes, and I'm older.

That's the workforce in these local businesses, and nobody's "refusing" to do these jobs.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Americans. And are these illegals getting health care and education and a food and a place to live? Or are the rest of us supposed to pay for that. When these illegals have kids, are their kids going to want to do these low level/entry level jobs? No. They'll feel entitled to college and better jobs. It's a slippery slope to hire illegals to take on the low level jobs. I'm a liberal and most liberals don't want this sort of thing going on.
That is a major problem. If the children of illegal immigrants don't want to do these jobs, then their only recourse is to allow new illegal immigrants into the country. This model is unsustainable. What do liberals say about the children of illegal immigrants not wanting to work those jobs? Do they think they will do nothing? How about the children of children of illegal immigrants?

Old 02-01-2018, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
We do here, as well.

What about areas that don't have an illegal alien workforce? Areas that are not "sanctuary", areas like mine, where the demographics are 97 percent white, where you do not find any Hispanics, illegal or otherwise.

All the janitors, grounds crew, maintenance workers, and cafeteria staff, including myself, in the school district where I work are English speaking Americans. We have no issues doing our jobs.

Our local restaurants/pizza joints hire high school kids, college students, -retired seniors, moms working part time, and empty nest moms. All English speaking Americans

The local farms hire high school and college kids during picking season. I've worked several summers myself picking tomatoes, and I'm older.

That's the workforce in these local businesses, and nobody's "refusing" to do these jobs.
If an American does these jobs in an area that is predominantly done by illegal immigrants, they are look down by the very liberals who claim no American wants to do these jobs.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:18 AM

29,007 posts, read 19,027,103 times
Quote:
Seriously, do you even educate yourself about this. There would be a shortage of workers which would hurt our economy.

A shortage of workers is how ordinary working Americans get a raise.

Why do you hate working Americans so much?

Old 02-01-2018, 04:55 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,342,893 times
Quote:
Seriously, do you even educate yourself about this. There would be a shortage of workers which would hurt our economy.
...less workers = higher wages.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:57 AM

21,416 posts, read 10,680,910 times
Quote:
Do it's not MAGA. Do you have any idea what this will do to our economy.
Always with that argument with nothing of substance to back it up.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:00 AM

3,010 posts, read 888,595 times
Quote:
You should sound it out loud so you can hear what you're saying. For the sake of your own argument let's ignore the fact that illegals broke border or visa laws; they're going to courts to capture illegal aliens that broke the law. You're saying that apprehending and deporting criminal illegal aliens is will be bad for our economy. Just think about it, these aren't the law abiding illegals ( lol).

In regards to the lie that Americans won't do the jobs; Americans won't line up for jobs when employers are offering the same suppressed wages they were giving illegals. Take illegals out of the equation and the market will set itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sanctuary policies have been around long before 2015 which is the earliest article I posted. And yes, I'm downplaying it because ICE has been doing this for a very long time. I think I posted enough source information to convince any reasonable person that this is not a new policy.
So to you nothing is new or different in California in 2018? Sometimes you choose to go into pedantic detail and in this case you conveniently ignore that the entire state has a sanctuary policy and ICE is aggressively enforcing immigration law to counter it. I often wonder what's your angle on not wanting to enforce immigration law; and you supposedly have a law enforcement background. You even argued to me that sanctuary policy is good because ICE is hard to work with. What's your end game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or