U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2018, 08:10 AM
 
Location: la la land
27,321 posts, read 11,428,416 times
Reputation: 19327

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
So to you nothing is new or different in California in 2018? Sometimes you choose to go into pedantic detail and in this case you conveniently ignore that the entire state has a sanctuary policy and ICE is aggressively enforcing immigration law to counter it. I often wonder what's your angle on not wanting to enforce immigration law; and you supposedly have a law enforcement background. You even argued to me that sanctuary policy is good because ICE is hard to work with. What's your end game?
This is just off the hook. I said ICE has been making arrests in courthouses for years and you spend a paragraph insulting me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2018, 08:24 AM
 
3,033 posts, read 895,027 times
Reputation: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
This is just off the hook. I said ICE has been making arrests in courthouses for years and you spend a paragraph insulting me?
How is anything I said offensive? Me pointing out that you're ignoring the context of what's going on in CA is offensive? I didn't call you names, it's facts. What's your point in down playing this? Really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 08:38 AM
 
6 posts, read 1,701 times
Reputation: 15
Default More false arguments

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Then why don't they. They could easily get these jobs
Two reasons

1. Before the flood of illegal immigrants a janitor could make around $12/hr but after the illegals came in the average is $7/hr
2. Hispanics prefer their "own people" over everyone else every single time so as some illegals moved up the system they started hiring only other hispanics and there are even cases in California where you can't get a job at places like McDonalds unless you speak spanish. English is not required though.

There are plenty of studies showing how wages go down when you have unchecked immigration. Only idiots refuse to accept that reality.

Finally, the "who's gonna clean our toilets" argument is racist af and sounds like you just want to have these people here as your slaves. That says a lot about you aside from the fact that before the illegal immigration crisis started we had no shortage of janitors, landscapers, cooks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas/SF Peninsula/South Lake Tahoe
2,049 posts, read 1,227,013 times
Reputation: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Somehow enforcing immigration law is racist in some looney unhinged lefties eyes. Social media is full of crybaby howls of “racism” over this story. What in the world ever made these idiots think that in forcing our laws were racist?


The two-page directive from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said it will enter courthouses only for specific targets, such as convicted criminals, gang members, public safety threats and immigrants who have been previously deported or ordered to leave. Family, friends and witnesses won't be picked up for deportation but ICE leaves a caveat for "special circumstances."

Why anyone would disagree with the above noted directive is mind boggling.

I completely agree with the said. So be it, I am a racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 09:33 AM
 
Location: la la land
27,321 posts, read 11,428,416 times
Reputation: 19327
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundthecorner View Post
Two reasons
1. Before the flood of illegal immigrants a janitor could make around $12/hr but after the illegals came in the average is $7/hr
2. Hispanics prefer their "own people" over everyone else every single time so as some illegals moved up the system they started hiring only other hispanics and there are even cases in California where you can't get a job at places like McDonalds unless you speak spanish. English is not required though.
There are plenty of studies showing how wages go down when you have unchecked immigration. Only idiots refuse to accept that reality.
Finally, the "who's gonna clean our toilets" argument is racist af and sounds like you just want to have these people here as your slaves. That says a lot about you aside from the fact that before the illegal immigration crisis started we had no shortage of janitors, landscapers, cooks, etc.
Or you can go back to the 70's and early 80's when "illegals" were brought in by the busload by independent labor contractors hired by large corporations to bust unions in a number of industries. If corporations didn't want illegal immigration they wouldn't be here, if they wanted them gone- they would be gone. It doesn't matter what anyone else wants, we don't run this country.

All this arguing and turning it into some kind of partisan war is just idiotic. We have the labor supply that benefits big business; illegal immigrants and low paid poorly educated citizens. If you want to raise wages for citizens, support education or really stop illegals from taking American jobs then follow the money; find out which politicians those corporations contribute to and vote for someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 10:55 AM
 
3,397 posts, read 932,288 times
Reputation: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Do it's not MAGA. Do you have any idea what this will do to our economy.
What do you propose? Continue the system as is, where some follow the law and some do not, and it is tolerated?

Should we continue two systems of employment, whereby most of us are forced into the managed economy, paying taxes, having to get permission to work, following workplace rules etc, while other employees and employers do not follow such a system?

If not, do you propose changing the laws, granting amnesty to anyone who wants to come here, to make them legal to work?

I'd love to hear your solution, because I have never heard a liberal put together a coherent alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 10:59 AM
 
3,397 posts, read 932,288 times
Reputation: 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
The two-page directive from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said it will enter courthouses only for specific targets, such as convicted criminals, gang members, public safety threats and immigrants who have been previously deported or ordered to leave. Family, friends and witnesses won't be picked up for deportation but ICE leaves a caveat for "special circumstances."

Why anyone would disagree with the above noted directive is mind boggling.

I completely agree with the said. So be it, I am a racist.
Agree 100%! Let's say for the sake of argument, the left argues that people, who have been here for years, abide by the laws etc should be given amnesty or whatever. I disagree with that, but okay, that's one thing.

However, how they can argue that people violating other laws including robbery, murder, gang activity, etc should somehow be protected from federal law is really a stretch and one, that I think the general public hasn't really thought about because they haven't been given accurate information by the mainstream media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 11:05 AM
 
25,354 posts, read 37,553,445 times
Reputation: 13277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Federal immigration authorities formalized a policy Wednesday to send deportation agents to federal, state and local courthouses to make arrests, dismissing complaints from judges and advocacy groups that it instills fear among crime victims, witnesses and family members.

The two-page directive from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said it will enter courthouses only for specific targets, such as convicted criminals, gang members, public safety threats and immigrants who have been previously deported or ordered to leave. Family, friends and witnesses won't be picked up for deportation but ICE leaves a caveat for "special circumstances."

The policy, signed by ICE acting director Thomas Homan, says immigration agents should generally avoid arrests in non-criminal areas of the court, like family court and small claims, unless it supervisor approves.






Looks like our cowboys finally have their Obama era restraints off and their Trump issued lassos ready to finally round up some criminals.


#MAGA



https://www.yahoo.com/news/ice-forma...tml#mycomments
Great news! We don't need criminals to surround us, especially not illegal alien criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 11:09 AM
 
3,033 posts, read 895,027 times
Reputation: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Or you can go back to the 70's and early 80's when "illegals" were brought in by the busload by independent labor contractors hired by large corporations to bust unions in a number of industries. If corporations didn't want illegal immigration they wouldn't be here, if they wanted them gone- they would be gone. It doesn't matter what anyone else wants, we don't run this country.

All this arguing and turning it into some kind of partisan war is just idiotic. We have the labor supply that benefits big business; illegal immigrants and low paid poorly educated citizens. If you want to raise wages for citizens, support education or really stop illegals from taking American jobs then follow the money; find out which politicians those corporations contribute to and vote for someone else.
Platitudes are great, but whats the reasoning for playing it down as in your original posting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas/SF Peninsula/South Lake Tahoe
2,049 posts, read 1,227,013 times
Reputation: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Agree 100%! Let's say for the sake of argument, the left argues that people, who have been here for years, abide by the laws etc should be given amnesty or whatever. I disagree with that, but okay, that's one thing.

However, how they can argue that people violating other laws including robbery, murder, gang activity, etc should somehow be protected from federal law is really a stretch and one, that I think the general public hasn't really thought about because they haven't been given accurate information by the mainstream media.


I have a difficult time understanding this method of thinking.

This is a perfect example . . . But then again, this occured in San Francisco.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/30/us/ka...ict/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top