U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:58 AM

21,429 posts, read 7,142,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
We need mandatory e-verify, and it's not in the immigration plan.....
That is a problem that gets very little coverage.

I've only seen it mentioned once with any conversation taken place. Lindsey Graham was ask about it.
He said, it has to come at the end on comprehensive reform. It can't be at the beginning in the discussion on DACA. In other words it will be put to the side and there will be no leverage to get it passed.

In other words. Its not going to happen. We all know what is put off until the end is the same as saying its not a priority. Its the same as ignoring the problem hoping it will go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 07:59 AM

27,179 posts, read 11,349,748 times
From another source:

"The San Francisco Chronicle reported that a total of 77 businesses in the Bay Area and Sacramento were raided this week. The ICE operation represents the largest workplace sweep since President Donald Trump took office. No immediate arrests were made in the sweep. Affected businesses were given notices of the sweep, as well as three days to reply to the government agency."
https://www.courthousenews.com/ice-a...ia-businesses/

Old 02-02-2018, 09:38 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,845,274 times
I'm more angry at the businesses hiring people illegally than the illegals themselves. It's not just small businesses and contractors, it's multi-billion dollar corporations hiring illegals.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:54 PM

31,487 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm more angry at the businesses hiring people illegally than the illegals themselves. It's not just small businesses and contractors, it's multi-billion dollar corporations hiring illegals.

Actually, both make me equally angry. It is mostly small businesses that hire illegal aliens though not big corporations.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Actually, both make me equally angry. It is mostly small businesses that hire illegal aliens though not big corporations.
That's simply not true. All of the big produce and meat processors have been hiring illegals for decades and even when they get caught they go right back to it. Many large companies have been trying to avoid liability by using labor contractors and then feigning ignorance when they get caught.

If not for employers being able to get away with this very few people would ever risk their freedom by crossing that border, they don't come here for the beaches they have really nice ones of their own.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/12...migrant-labor/

https://www.marketplace.org/2013/04/...mented-workers

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...ing-up-workers

Old 02-02-2018, 03:03 PM

3,320 posts, read 915,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm angry at the illegals of course, but in reality they are human and self-interest is the human condition and is simply human nature. They should not be coming illegally, period.

However, it is the Democrats, refusing to protect the borders and allowing the status quo to continue, including looking the other way while businesses give illegals incentive.

Remove the incentive to be here illegally with border control and stepped up enforcement as well as a $100,000 fine per incident and 1 year in jail to any employer caught employing an illegal and the illegal problem will largely go away.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Remove the incentive to be here illegally with border control and stepped up enforcement as well as a $100,000 fine per incident and 1 year in jail to any employer caught employing an illegal and the illegal problem will largely go away.
Yeah it's the democrats fault that Republicans can't pass a bill, you betcha And as far as I know no Republican has ever suggested doing anything significant to employers who hire illegals.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:13 PM

3,320 posts, read 915,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yeah it's the democrats fault that Republicans can't pass a bill, you betcha And as far as I know no Republican has ever suggested doing anything significant to employers who hire illegals.
You do understand that it takes 60 votes in the Senate to invoke cloture, thus ending debate and taking a vote right?

Or are you just continuing to pretend?

Old 02-02-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
You do understand that it takes 60 votes in the Senate to invoke cloture, thus ending debate and taking a vote right?

Or are you just continuing to pretend?
I'm not pretending anything. If the Republicans were interested in getting something passed they would compromise in order to get the votes, that is how it's supposed to work

Old 02-02-2018, 10:35 PM
Status: "Busy being triggered by pumpkins" (set 6 days ago)

17,361 posts, read 8,542,942 times
Quote:
I'm angry at the illegals of course, but in reality they are human and self-interest is the human condition and is simply human nature. They should not be coming illegally, period.

However, it is the Democrats, refusing to protect the borders and allowing the status quo to continue, including looking the other way while businesses give illegals incentive.

Let's be honest. Through administrations that were both Republican and Democrat, we have issued amnesty to the illegals seven times already. Neither party did what they should have done.

But I will say this, the loons on the far left with their language of 'dreamers' when it comes to illegals and their denial that letting millions enter the country hurts us all, is what I find so offensive.

I'm a moderate Democrat who thinks legal immigration should be limited and illegals shouldn't be allowed to stay regardless of who was born here. We have enough problems and it's time to take care of our own people first.

Imprison all the law-breakers and there will be fewer people wanting to take that risk - and that includes anyone hiring them in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or