Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 08:17 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I think DACAs who are here illegally SHOULD be given a pathway to citizenship. That seems right. BUT NO FAMILIES AT ALL. No sponsoring, no linking, no chaining, no expansion. You GOT the benefit, you GOT the citizenship, you can start your life. But you do it ALONE. Don't try to bring anyone else here. If you want to see your family, get on a plane. If your family wants to come here, apply for citizenship. NO SPONSORING AT ALL.
The problem many of us have is that it was a Republican President that granted the last amnesty to 3,000,000 illegal immigrants that turned into more like 11,000,000. Not only that; but there were promises that would never happen in the future and that was a lie. The border was never secured. So, when even a Republican President that we support is up to bat on this issue; we are very hesitant about the outcome.

We do realize that something has to be done; we just how that America comes first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 08:18 AM

18,557 posts, read 7,361,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
As a Trump supporter, lifelong Republican and the native born son of LEGAL immigrants of a color, I completely dislike the idea of any amnesty for any illegal alien, though I understand if Trump has to make some compromises against the treasonous demands of the liberal Democrat left.

I fear though that it will not end with even full citizenship for the foreign nationals whom Obama rewarded with DACA as part of his far left presidency. The way chain migration allows an entire wave to come here following one person in the lottery, the same effect may happen with DACA. once these DACA Dreamers are given citizenship, the left will then argue that their families shouldn't be separated, that the parents who illegally brought them here (the ones who put their kids in this sitaution, not the American people), should also be allowed to stay. Each new DACA citizen will also be able to get citizenship for more illegal family members and so on and so forth.

If there is amnestion, the DACA recipients should not become citizens, they shouldn't have the right to vote and they shouldn't ever be eligible for any government benefits or welfare handouts including Section 8 housing, food stamps, Medicaid, Medicare, or FEMA aid in the event of a disaster.
Your fears are entirely reasonable, and surely that is part of the plan.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:30 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
The entire village is siblings and parents to the one person? I’m not sure I believe that claim without evidence.

If someone comes to the US and becomes a US citizen they can then sponsor children, spouse, siblings, and parents. The process from the start of that immigration to citizenship takes about 5-10 years depending on a few things, different relations get priority and only a certain amount of these visas are given each year. The costs is roughly $3000 per person not including legal fees which can easily double the cost.

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens

Another thing to remember, when sponsoring a family member one has to show the ability to financially support them. In 2016 it would roughly $30,000 in income per sponsorship. If one wanted to sponsor 2 parents and 2 siblings, the single sponsors income would have to be roughly $120,000.

A friend of mine got married to a foreign student in college and he got rejected when applying for her green card because he had little income.
This is incorrect. These are the current guidelines for financial sponsorship based on household size. If one person wanted to sponsor 4 other people they’d only need to make about $36khttp://https://www.uscis.gov/system/...pdf?download=1

Old 02-10-2018, 08:52 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
This is incorrect. These are the current guidelines for financial sponsorship based on household size. If one person wanted to sponsor 4 other people they’d only need to make about $36khttp://https://www.uscis.gov/system/...pdf?download=1
Link doesn’t work.

Edit: I found what you are talking about and I’m not incorrect in what I said. The $36K you are discussing is for a family of 4, but ONLY for dependent children and a spouse. It does not include siblings, 18+ sons and daughters, married sons and daughers, or parents. So what I said is still true about sponsoring siblings and parents.

Last edited by Mattks; 02-10-2018 at 09:04 AM..

Old 02-10-2018, 08:53 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Not ok with DACA. Lawbreakers need to be jailed or removed.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:11 AM

1,225 posts, read 605,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Link doesn’t work.

Edit: I found what you are talking about and I’m not incorrect in what I said. The $36K you are discussing is for a family of 4, but ONLY for dependent children and a spouse. It does not include siblings, 18+ sons and daughters, married sons and daughers, or parents. So what I said is still true about sponsoring siblings and parents.
You said in your comment supporting 2 parents and 2 siblings, that’s what it’d take to sponsor them financially.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:25 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
First of all chain migration absolutely positive does not allow an entire wave to come here following one person in the lottery.

WRONG.

And your conclusion that the same effect MAY happen -- isn't enough to shut down DACA.

It doesn't work that way.
Family Reunification is the real name of the program not chain migration. A legal resident of the USA can apply for parents or siblings to get temporary status in the USA. Immigration has to review the application. They can deny whoever they want at any time -- there is no direct path -- automatic entrance -- no collect your status and go card. It doesn't happen that way.

For that matter -- any time you enter the country, even with legal status, Immigration can deny you entry -- they have that authority at the border. Sure if it turns out there is no real good reason or legal binding reason to deny entry they have to let you in -- but in the moment you are at the border green card or not -- even with an American passport -- the agent at the border has the absolute power to deny entry.

All that has to happen is that immigration has to follow the procedures in place, review the application for criteria set by the govt....jobs, financial solvency, etc....and of course no crminal record or ties to gangs or terrorists.

That all can be implemented and we have the tools to do it.
Many of the illegals from the 80s and 90s are responsible for Nth power head count now. All from one person coming here illegally.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:28 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,765,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Not ok with DACA. Lawbreakers need to be jailed or removed.
You think babies, toddlers, and young children brought here by their parents should be jailed or removed?

Trumpism is a mental disorder.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:32 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
the problem many of us have is that it was a republican president that granted the last amnesty to 3,000,000 illegal immigrants that turned into more like 11,000,000. not only that; but there were promises that would never happen in the future and that was a lie. the border was never secured. So, when even a republican president that we support is up to bat on this issue; we are very hesitant about the outcome.

We do realize that something has to be done; we just how that america comes first!
Seven times!

Old 02-10-2018, 09:48 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The problem many of us have is that it was a Republican President that granted the last amnesty to 3,000,000 illegal immigrants that turned into more like 11,000,000. Not only that; but there were promises that would never happen in the future and that was a lie. The border was never secured. So, when even a Republican President that we support is up to bat on this issue; we are very hesitant about the outcome.

We do realize that something has to be done; we just how that America comes first!
To be fair guess who blocked funding for the wall in the Reagan years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration