U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:37 PM

11,488 posts, read 5,507,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I wouldn't know. We never had fair wages.

We most certainly had "fair wages" back in the 50s and 60s. Where did you get that idea? Perhaps that was before you were born?

During the 50s and 60s families lived quite well on one salary. For example, I had a friend whose father worked in construction. The area where we lived had rough winters so construction all but came to a halt during that season. Her father didn't work in the winter and her mother was a stay at home mom. The family did just fine because he made enough money the rest of the year to put money aside to manage quite well in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:58 PM

31,488 posts, read 14,565,596 times
Quote:

By fair I mean the going rate. Construction worker's wages for example are paying half of what they use to due to a huge supply of cheap, illegal workers.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:20 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Quote:
Well, they've gone the wrong way and illegals working jobs that yes, used to be done by Americans does lower wages for those jobs.

If you disagree with this, explain why.

My entire moms side of the family are blue collar democrats. It's sad to see some alleged democrat wade in with corporate mantra on their lips about how bringing in cheap foreign labor to compete for those jobs is a good thing.

https://goo.gl/images/4VvRMY

Old 03-01-2018, 08:20 PM

3,002 posts, read 1,963,775 times
What I'm seeing in the home building industry is high paying jobs going to illegal labor and savings going straight into the pockets of the home builders not the people doing the work. Back in 2006-7 my brother in law worked for a large contractor here in the Phoenix area they employed illegal workers to do framing one day he said he came to work all the framers had walked out said they would not come back to work unless they were paid $28 an hour they were making $24 an hour. This was the time frame when we had those protest here in Phoenix where illegals protested "A day without a Mexican" lot of it had to do with the Arizona passed law forcing law enforcement to enforce immigration. Later it was overturned but this was when Sheriff Joe Arpaio was doing his immigration sweeps he start of his troubles he continued to enforce immigration laws. I remember that illegals thought they could just protest and become legal look where it got them now Hillary Clinton made the mistake of also supporting illegals look where it got her. American Citizens are tired of people coming here for their own personal gain and taking jobs away from Americans. America is getting sucked dry by Illegals from our south and crooked trade deals country's like China in the end China will become a super power we will be a 3rd world country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_U...eform_protests

If you understand the home building industry they can hire anyone to be a subcontractor no license required so there is zero regulation in the home building industry when it comes to hiring illegal labor. If you look at any immigration law which tightens requirements for hiring illegal labor the first group to complain is home builders. They make these claims to the public that they can't find legal workers to do the work it comes down to money they want more profits for rich owners of these companies this is one of the reasons you are seeing a larger imbalance of wealth between rich, and middle class. The use of illegal labor into our higher paid jobs has ruined industry's which used to employ non college graduates people who worked with their hands. This country has no manufacturing anymore the only place where a person could make a decent wage was home building.

Last edited by kell490; 03-01-2018 at 08:36 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 08:22 PM

13,141 posts, read 10,568,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
By fair I mean the going rate. Construction worker's wages for example are paying half of what they use to due to a huge supply of cheap, illegal workers.
I love all of the people that claim Americans will not work bad jobs. In the 1970's I used to lift 120,000 pounds a day of 100 pound bags off the floors of three boxcars. People do what they have to do to survive and I did not have to worry about gaining weight! That was a time before they came out with slip pallets so the forklifts could lift two tons at a time. The boxcars would get so hot in the summer that I could literally wring out my clothes when I got home - I did not have a dry stitch on me. But that job paid either $12 or $13/hour - which was great money for the early 1970's in my area. It was enough to support my wife and young child.

Outsourcing and illegal immigration froze our wages for decades. Wages are based on supply and demand. When workers become replaceable; wages go downhill. If companies have to compete for workers; wages go up. Now if we could only get the pay of our politicians to reflect the pay of workers in the private sector; we might get some political help!

Old 03-01-2018, 08:31 PM

48,897 posts, read 39,381,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I love all of the people that claim Americans will not work bad jobs. In the 1970's I used to lift 120,000 pounds a day of 100 pound bags off the floors of three boxcars. People do what they have to do to survive and I did not have to worry about gaining weight! That was a time before they came out with slip pallets so the forklifts could lift two tons at a time. The boxcars would get so hot in the summer that I could literally wring out my clothes when I got home - I did not have a dry stitch on me. But that job paid either $12 or $13/hour - which was great money for the early 1970's in my area. It was enough to support my wife and young child.

Outsourcing and illegal immigration froze our wages for decades. Wages are based on supply and demand. When workers become replaceable; wages go downhill. If companies have to compete for workers; wages go up. Now if we could only get the pay of our politicians to reflect the pay of workers in the private sector; we might get some political help!
So basically, the corporations decided that was too much to pay and the syncophants call anyone complaining about the illegal surge *racist*. It's kinda funny watching democrats turn into republicans because they were told it was ok. Good job Scooby (R)

Old 03-01-2018, 08:45 PM

13,141 posts, read 10,568,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So basically, the corporations decided that was too much to pay and the syncophants call anyone complaining about the illegal surge *racist*. It's kinda funny watching democrats turn into republicans because they were told it was ok. Good job Scooby (R)
Actually I believe that at that time there was a large push to break the unions; at least in the private sector. They did it first by moving their companies from the Northeast to down South. Of course many workers would never follow their jobs that far. But the companies were still not happy and that is when they first went south of the border and then eventually to whoever would pay less. They quickly found out that it not only hurt the unions; but it effectively suppressed all pay. Of course with a push for easy credit to all the poor workers could afford the goods that would normally be out of their reach. One big vicious cycle for working people. It will only get worse with automation - I wish somebody would explain why we need so many foreign workers when many workers will be replaced?

Old 03-01-2018, 08:53 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,561 posts, read 624,180 times
Register a few with work permits. Tell them put in 20 years and get a green card.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:37 PM

3,535 posts, read 2,692,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quique07 View Post
If all undocumented immigrants/ illegal aliens are deported, who is going to work the bad jobs?
Maybe we should ask Kelly Osbourne.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:57 PM

11,896 posts, read 14,359,727 times
We need a program to bring in temporary and seasonal work and give the workers benefits. Note: the illegals are, for the most part, taking jobs in such fields as engineering, nursing, and law; that Americans want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or