U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 02:34 PM

4,055 posts, read 5,562,393 times

Advertisements

It's not just undocumented people (illegal aliens) who can't pay their hospital bills. Plenty of "Americans" can't or won't pay hospital bills.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:06 PM

5,233 posts, read 1,565,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Okay so now we can make them permanent, right?
Why? They should never be citizens and neither should any offspring they have. Being allowed to stay permanently in a place they invaded/tresspassed is insulting and abusive enough to the rule of law and our national sovereignty.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:43 PM

16,578 posts, read 16,255,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Why? They should never be citizens and neither should any offspring they have. Being allowed to stay permanently in a place they invaded/tresspassed is insulting and abusive enough to the rule of law and our national sovereignty.
They broke the law then and have been breaking it ever since

Old 02-27-2018, 04:02 PM

31,597 posts, read 53,148,159 times
Furthermore, contrary to the hate-filled rantings by xenophobic blowhards, the law itself doesnt even call for immediate deportation for a person that is here without legal documentation.

LOL in fact, the law itself doesnt even consider it a felony. It's an 'infraction', punishable by a fine and jail time:

The punishment under this federal law is no more than six months of incarceration and up to $250 in civil penalties for each illegal entry.

Is Illegal Immigration a Crime? Improper Entry v. Unlawful Presence - FindLaw Blotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi
They broke the law then and have been breaking it ever since.
Nope. Simply being here is not a crime.

Too many hysterical lies from right wing media outlets have left people really confused.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:11 PM

16,578 posts, read 16,255,698 times
Quote:
Furthermore, contrary to the hate-filled rantings by xenophobic blowhards, the law itself doesnt even call for immediate deportation for a person that is here without legal documentation.

LOL in fact, the law itself doesnt even consider it a felony. It's an 'infraction', punishable by a fine and jail time:

The punishment under this federal law is no more than six months of incarceration and up to $250 in civil penalties for each illegal entry.

Is Illegal Immigration a Crime? Improper Entry v. Unlawful Presence - FindLaw Blotter

Nope. Simply being here is not a crime.

Too many hysterical lies from right wing media outlets have left people really confused.
Yes it is illegal, you enter the country under the radar or overstay your visa, it is illegal. I cannot believe how extreme Democrats have moved in recent years. Obama seems like a Republican these days.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Yes it is illegal, you enter the country under the radar or overstay your visa, it is illegal.
Nope.

mere unlawful presence in the country is not a crime. It is a violation of federal immigration law to remain in the country without legal authorization, but this violation is punishable by civil penalties, not criminal.

I realize that right wing extremists have spent generations carefully crafting their misleading talking points on the issue, but the law is much more humane than they are.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:12 AM

75 posts, read 179,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Good, no one should be illegally in the country. Trump has made good on his promise, he is doing what no other president has done before, they've certainly talked about it including Obama, but all were too scared to actually do it. I hope ICE is successful. I'm all for immigration and making the process more streamlined, but I will never support ILLEGAL immigration and those who broke the law back then are still breaking the law every single day they are here.
Agree completely.

No country is under any mandate to support illegal immigrants at the expense of their own citizenry.
I guess media didn't manage to brainwash me into submission!
Raid away!!

Old 02-28-2018, 01:42 AM

1,975 posts, read 2,851,960 times
Quote:
Nope.

mere unlawful presence in the country is not a crime. It is a violation of federal immigration law to remain in the country without legal authorization, but this violation is punishable by civil penalties, not criminal.

I realize that right wing extremists have spent generations carefully crafting their misleading talking points on the issue, but the law is much more humane than they are.
While you are technically correct you are playing word games. You know that colloquially "crime" is associated with violating the law. In everyday usage people do not distinguish between civil and criminal law. They are breaking laws plain and simple. Furthermore, many are not simply here without legal authorization. They work. Which laws are being broken there? What if they falsify documents? What if they steal someone's identity?

I'm not a right-winger and I didn't vote for Trump so spare me any talk about the right-wing media. Nor am I a left-winger who supports open borders as you seem to. I have a lot of friends and family in construction related industries. I've seen the detrimental effects illegal immigration has had on them. It turns into a race to the bottom as far as wages and working conditions are concerned. Eventually those who used to work in construction no longer do and left-wingers will tell us the illegal immigrants are merely doing the jobs that Americans will not do. I also believe in the rule of law. People like you are doing your best to turn us into a 3rd world country. The evolution of "sanctuary city" policies and the logic used to explain them highlights this. What began as a policy to encourage illegal immigrants to report crime without fear of retribution has now turned into a law where broad cooperation with federal authorities is prohibited. Private businesses are not even permitted to allow federal agents to enter employee-only spaces in their own businesses without a warrant. We now have mayors tweeting about upcoming raids that are far more likely to sweep up criminals than grannies sitting in their living rooms reading a book. I want no part of your attempts to turn us into a lawless 3rd world country.

I'm no fan at all of Trump but this has a bit of that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing going on. I'm watching how he is freaking out the far left and loving it. Every time Trump does something to freak out the far left I come to CD to read the over-the-top reactions. It gives me goose bumps.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:18 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,701,336 times
"I have a lot of friends and family in construction related industries. I've seen the detrimental effects illegal immigration has had on them. It turns into a race to the bottom as far as wages and working conditions are concerned" Not sayin' you are wrong about your friends reported experiences....but

“Based on a survey of the academic literature, economists do not tend to find that immigrants cause any sizeable decrease in wages and employment of U.S.-born citizens and instead may raise wages and lower prices in the aggregate.” The economy does not operate in a zero-sum fashion; instead work done by illegal immigrants may serve as the infrastructure for future job positions as well as magnify the importance of current jobs."

"The latest study conducted by George J. Borjas, a labor economist at Harvard Kennedy School, finds the labor of illegal immigrants increases the national GDP by around 11 percent per year, or 1.6 trillion U.S. dollars per year".

"The conclusion to be drawn ....... is that while illegal immigration may serve as a fiscal burden, its overall benefit for the job market and economy are clear justifications for a reform toward a more open and accepting immigration policy.'

The Unseen Economics of Illegal Immigration....Roosevelt Institute | Cornell University

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-28-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
While you are technically correct you are playing word games. You know that colloquially "crime" is associated with violating the law. In everyday usage people do not distinguish between civil and criminal law. They are breaking laws plain and simple.
Yes, but the punishment according to the law isnt necesarily deportation in every instance.

Right?

(Cue the Final Jeopardy music)

I dont see the point in point blank deporting everyone including folks who have demonstrated themselves to be productive and the law itself isnt that cold hearted either.

But dammit right wingers sure seem to have lost their heart and sanity over this issue

Quote:
I'm not a right-winger and I didn't vote for Trump so spare me any talk about the right-wing media...

...I'm no fan at all of Trump but this has a bit of that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing going on. I'm watching how he is freaking out the far left and loving it. Every time Trump does something to freak out the far left I come to CD to read the over-the-top reactions. It gives me goose bumps.
No spare me this pretense of impartiality

You say your no fan of Trump yet he gives you goose bumps? #TMI And honestly who cares? Just own it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or