Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I see you couldn't answer the question Montclair.

As the saying goes "no answer is the answer".

You can't work here as RN unless you're here on work visa if you're not a citizen. So I have to wonder how many illegals who cross the border are working as an RN or other professional positions? Unless they're using someone else's SS number, which is major fraud.

Perhaps you should have picked a service industry position for your example.
DACA recipients can work legally. This article explains the rules:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0d0c16bb528ab

What I didn't know is that it costs roughly $500 for each DACA recipient to apply every 2 years, if I read it right. So, if there are 800,000 DACA recipients paying $500 every two years, that's a LOT of revenue. $40 million dollars worth. It hadn't occurred to me that there may be some financial reason to keep these guys on temporary status forever.

Plus, that article said they pay into Social Security, but can never draw on it, etc. They're kind of a cash cow.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:27 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
"Plus, that article said they pay into Social Security, but can never draw on it, etc. They're kind of a cash cow." Kind of ?

Question: What is the dollar amount of payroll taxes paid by unauthorized workers and their employers for the latest tax year (2010) ?

Response: We estimate $13 billion in OASDI payroll taxes from unauthorized immigrant workers and their employers in 2010. This number reflects earnings for those with no recorded SSN, those who have obtained an SSN with fraudulent identification, and those with legitimate SSNs who have overstayed temporary visas.

data from this document from the Social Security Administration, dated 2013.

These folks are an integral part of our country and economy and should be offered a path to citizenship.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-26-2018, 05:18 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I see you couldn't answer the question Montclair.

As the saying goes "no answer is the answer".

You can't work here as RN unless you're here on work visa if you're not a citizen. So I have to wonder how many illegals who cross the border are working as an RN or other professional positions? Unless they're using someone else's SS number, which is major fraud.

Perhaps you should have picked a service industry position for your example.
LOL Sweetheart dont flatter yourself.

1. Those folks who are using SSNs are paying into a system that will never benefit them.

2. If a person has committed no other crimes, has a demonstrated history of steady employment, home ownership etc, then that persom should pay a fine and then put on a path to permanent residency

See, its all quite easy.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:30 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Wrong. Obama deported hundreds of thousands of people but he also correctly put many( dreamers) on a path to legal status. That's the right thing to do.

Our current asshat-in-chief is a hypocrite who readily uses foreign labor to make his own merchandise and didnt give 2 shts about employing foreign laborers himself, but now as a politician is a flagwaving xenophobe? Yawns yeah right

He's throwing a fit because CA doesnt gaf about his funding threats and needs to appear heavy handed to the racist morons who support this cold hearted tactic.
Fake deportations. They re-defined the term and started including turn backs at the border as the deportations.

DACA stands for deferred action. He had 8 years and did nothing. Just “deferred” it and it expired.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:14 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Fake deportations. They re-defined the term and started including turn backs at the border as the deportations.

DACA stands for deferred action. He had 8 years and did nothing. Just “deferred” it and it expired.
Okay so now we can make them permanent, right?

Old 02-26-2018, 07:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I listened to an interesting show on NPR today, where it was mentioned that 1 in 4 hispanics in TX, who are here legally, are against allowing DACA recipients to stay, or amnesty for other illegals. It was an eye-opener for me. Their complaint was that it wasn't fair for immigrants like them who did things right.

I do understand that. That it's not fair to people who did what was required to do things legally, to then let others slide who did not.

However, these kids had no intention of breaking any laws. They were too young, and had no idea.

I also watched shows on PBS Newshour yesterday and today, about how unaccompanied minors from El Salvador attempt to get into the US on their own, because their families have been killed by the gangs there, and because the gangs won't let them go to school, and there is so much horrible violence.

My despair for them is that if Trump is successful in only letting immigrants come into the US based on merit, we won't be able to save people who really need help. I know we can't take in all of the world's refugees, but there must be some exceptions for severe situations, in my opinion.

I do think, too, that there is an incentive for illegal immigrants to have children in the US, because anyone born in the US is considered a citizen. Maybe if we just change that law it would stem some of the tide? You aren't legal unless your parents were legal?

Old 02-26-2018, 09:23 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I listened to an interesting show on NPR today, where it was mentioned that 1 in 4 hispanics in TX, who are here legally, are against allowing DACA recipients to stay, or amnesty for other illegals. It was an eye-opener for me. Their complaint was that it wasn't fair for immigrants like them who did things right.

I do understand that. That it's not fair to people who did what was required to do things legally, to then let others slide who did not.

However, these kids had no intention of breaking any laws. They were too young, and had no idea.

I also watched shows on PBS Newshour yesterday and today, about how unaccompanied minors from El Salvador attempt to get into the US on their own, because their families have been killed by the gangs there, and because the gangs won't let them go to school, and there is so much horrible violence.

My despair for them is that if Trump is successful in only letting immigrants come into the US based on merit, we won't be able to save people who really need help. I know we can't take in all of the world's refugees, but there must be some exceptions for severe situations, in my opinion.

I do think, too, that there is an incentive for illegal immigrants to have children in the US, because anyone born in the US is considered a citizen. Maybe if we just change that law it would stem some of the tide? You aren't legal unless your parents were legal?
So how many people do you wants to save? Over half the worlds population would come here if they could find a way across the border and they would all come from a relatively servere situation relative to us.

Immigration exists in this country as in every country across the globe to serve its host nation. We have to do what is best for us. We should also help those across the globe who need it and the best way to do that is to send dollars to them as they can help way more people in there home country than bringing people here.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:58 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:

Save them? Those El Savadorians came here to escape violence, only to be caught up in the gangs here. We don’t need machete wielding butchers in this country. I’m not a big proponent of the wall, but I do feel not allowing so much illegal immigration here would eventually benefit Central and South America. The corrupt politicians now encourage their underserved population to come here and they even benefit with remittances, but it also creates a brain drain and the most motivated citizens to leave for greener pastures instead of staying and demanding better from their governments. There is no excuse for countries so rich in natural resources to be so horribly governed.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:25 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:

Re the bolded.....Canada manages to do it.

Quote:
Re the bolded...It's not that simple. You should do more reading as to why birthright citizenship in the U.S. has been upheld in our court system (interpretation of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, etc.).

Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Exactly, so let's 'detect' them and 'check' them by deporting the criminals and putting the millions of productive undocumented residents who contribute to the US on a path to permanent status, even if that means fines.

But who benefits by deporting an RN who OWNS a home and has 2 kids at UC? No one.

So present us with a common sense plan that makes sense or prepare to lose miserably when this issue is finally resolved, because you will not win.
Who benefits? An RN that is here legally that is who benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
View detailed profiles of: