Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 10:58 AM

1,743 posts, read 991,977 times

Advertisements

I worked it out for Y'all!
$361,000 ÷ 37 years= $9,756 a year (or thereabouts)

Not great for USA livin but almost Rich in Tijuana!

Quote:
It started as a rather straightforward Social Security fraud investigation — a man receiving disability benefits pretending to live in the United States when in fact he lived in Tijuana.

What authorities uncovered was a 37-year identity theft scheme by an unauthorized immigrant and repeat felon who bilked federal, state and local governments out of hundreds of thousands of dollars in benefits, according to a plea agreement entered in San Diego federal court this week.

Andres Avelino Anduaga — if that’s even his real name — admitted to assuming the identity of a U.S. citizen in 1980. Armed with a fake birth certificate, he developed a seemingly legitimate persona by applying for a California driver’s license, Social Security number and U.S. passport.

The official documents identified him as Abraham Riojos, born in Alpine, Texas, in 1958.

The documents allowed him to move freely between Mexico and the U.S., and also to receive nearly $361,000 in government benefits over the years.
Mexican man assumes American's identity for 37 years, steals $361,000 in government benefits - The San Diego Union-Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 11:23 AM

1,743 posts, read 991,977 times
A dreamer just livin’ the dream.

Luckily, there is only one of these guys, not tens or perhaps hundreds of thousands of illegals enjoying handouts and Welfare advantages of all kinds.

All the others are very smart, very productive members of society who improve our lives every single day with the contributions that they bring to the US.

Last edited by claymoore; 03-04-2018 at 12:37 PM..

Old 03-04-2018, 01:29 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
He is no doubt just one of many who are scamming our country, it really does not matter if he took one dollar or thousands of dollars, he and others like him do not deserve even one penny, I say lock him up for the rest of his life and make him earn in jail, the money he stole and his room and board, a penny an hour at a time.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:26 PM

13,249 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Years ago it was very easy to get birth certificates and death certificates once you had that could simply show up at the MVD and get an ID or DL then get SSN cards what ever you wanted. This has changed not as easy to get those documents have to prove things if you show up with nothing like a school record from your high school. One way in the past to change your identity was find someone who was born around the same time as you were, but died. Then when you got a new state issue DL or ID they never checked to see if that person was dead you would assume their identity. Not sure how it's changed today if it's still possible with the right information I think they make it lot more difficult to obtain a birth certificate when that person had died then again if they died in a different state who knows.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:12 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
They seem to be really cracking down around here. I moved to a new state and the DMV required my paper SS card. All these years, I've just given my SS number but they wanted the actual paper card.

I had to go to a SS office, go through security, take a number, answer all sorts of questions, and finally they said I was legit and would receive a new paper SS card in a week.

Then, this past week dh took an elderly woman to Verizon to get a new phone. They required her paper SS card too. Fortunately, she did have it-- it was at home but she was able to get it and get phone service.

So I don't think these cheats who steal our SS numbers have it as easy as they used to.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:21 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,323 times
While I'm not suggesting that all illegal immigrants commit crimes like this, the fact that someone is willing to break a country's immigration laws with impunity, and oftentimes gain work under false pretenses, indicates that they will commit other crimes with out much remorse.

When I was a manager at a large retail store in California, we had a stock person who had worked there for many years. Her husband died suddenly while they were on a visit back to Mexico. The store raised a lot of money for her, as she had 4 kids. Well, a few years later, the police showed up and arrested her at work. The next day in the Orange County Register, it was reported that they faked her husband's death, she collected $500,000 in insurance money, and he also had been arrested, working under a false name. The news story also said they were both illegal aliens. Who knows how many and what kind of benefits she and her children received, with her being a poor "widow" and all. There is a huge amount of fraud involved in the illegal alien population, which all starts when they cross the border with out coming in the correct and legal way.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:23 AM

11,784 posts, read 5,795,007 times
This thread has been up 2 days and no illegal aliens supporters yet - being these stories are now becoming more commonplace - their "These are just a small amt of illegal aliens " rhetoric ain't cutting it.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:00 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,383,053 times
wonder how many times he voted . . .

Old 03-06-2018, 10:13 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Not exactly "news" per se, thirty or more years ago it was far more easy to assume another persons identity. This applied to Americans, illegals or whatever.

People would take a the SS of a dead child or young adult and assumed the identity.

You went to this or that office to apply for benefits, a job or whatever and didn't have the proper paperwork? No worries, a nice obliging secretary or worker would either gloss over, ignore or otherwise just pass things along.

Have had my SSN since about 12 or 13 (when got working papers), and never bothered with the card since. Went to college, got jobs, insurance of various sorts, etc.. and no one once asked to see the paper card itself. This was all before 9/11/01 however. Since that event and onwards yes, have noticed and or heard that now people want to see the actual card in person.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:08 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not exactly "news" per se, thirty or more years ago it was far more easy to assume another persons identity. This applied to Americans, illegals or whatever.

People would take a the SS of a dead child or young adult and assumed the identity.

You went to this or that office to apply for benefits, a job or whatever and didn't have the proper paperwork? No worries, a nice obliging secretary or worker would either gloss over, ignore or otherwise just pass things along.

Have had my SSN since about 12 or 13 (when got working papers), and never bothered with the card since. Went to college, got jobs, insurance of various sorts, etc.. and no one once asked to see the paper card itself. This was all before 9/11/01 however. Since that event and onwards yes, have noticed and or heard that now people want to see the actual card in person.

I don't recall during my working days when I didn't have to produce my actual SS card to gain employment. They actually took photos of it. Could be it was different decades ago but I just don't recall it. I think it's important otherwise one can just make up a SS number when applying for a job. We actually need e-verify mandated across the board so that it deter's illegal aliens from presenting a fake or stolen SS number to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration