Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 08:41 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,005 times

Advertisements

I’m surprised this isn’t posted yet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...cement-n854331
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 09:29 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
It was Attorney General Sessions, because California is purposely violating Federal law.

About time.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:14 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Just saw and was going to post . Awesome !

MAGA .

End sanctuary cities!

Old 03-07-2018, 12:59 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
I was just going to post this, too!

The below from NPR describes the laws being challenged:

Quote:
The new federal case represents an escalation of the long-running battle between the Trump administration and California, whose Democratic governor, Jerry Brown, and attorney general, Xavier Becerra, have positioned themselves as ideological opponents to the White House on matters from immigration and climate change to criminal justice.

Last year, California lawmakers passed three immigration-related laws that feature prominently in the new lawsuit. One bars private employers from voluntarily cooperating with federal immigration officials and requires businesses to notify workers in advance of a federal raid.

A second law restricts state and local law enforcement from voluntarily sharing information with the feds about the release dates of undocumented people in their custody. That law also bars the transfer of undocumented people into federal custody. The third law under federal challenge covers state inspections of detention facilities that hold noncitizens in federal custody.
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/06/59130...migration-laws

The DOJ has a pretty strong case. While the federal government cannot force state governments to enforce federal law, state governments cannot interfere with legitimate federal authority under the Constitution and inferior laws. CA crossed the line when they forbade or otherwise hindered the ability of private citizens from cooperating with federal authorities on a uniquely federal issue.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:05 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I was just going to post this, too!

The below from NPR describes the laws being challenged:

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/06/59130...migration-laws

The DOJ has a pretty strong case. While the federal government cannot force state governments to enforce federal law, state governments cannot interfere with legitimate federal authority under the Constitution and inferior laws. CA crossed the line when they forbade or otherwise hindered the ability of private citizens from cooperating with federal authorities on a uniquely federal issue.
I think the fed can find PLENTY in here to charge politicians with.

"
1907. Title 8, U.S.C. 1324(a) Offenses

Title 8, U.S.C. § 1324(a) defines several distinct offenses related to aliens. Subsection 1324(a)(1)(i)-(v) prohibits alien smuggling, domestic transportation of unauthorized aliens, concealing or harboring unauthorized aliens, encouraging or inducing unauthorized aliens to enter the United States, and engaging in a conspiracy or aiding and abetting any of the preceding acts. Subsection 1324(a)(2) prohibits bringing or attempting to bring unauthorized aliens to the United States in any manner whatsoever, even at a designated port of entry. Moderator cut: quote shortened, please follow the link below

‹ 1906. Guidelines For INS Undercover Operations -- Part 8. Monitoring And Control Of Undercover Operations up 1908. Unlawful Employment Of Aliens -- Criminal Penalties ›

https://www.justice.gov/usam/crimina...1324a-offenses

Last edited by Yac; 03-08-2018 at 03:37 AM..

Old 03-07-2018, 08:06 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,249 times
yayyyy... I can't wait till the USA wins this one against the commies in california...... no more federal funding....now this... hahahahaha

Old 03-07-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
yayyyy... I can't wait till the USA wins this one against the commies in california...... no more federal funding....now this... hahahahaha
It would be great to see that “law” struck down.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:29 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,215,678 times
It is insane how much they love their illegals. Imagine a law the requires employers to tell their employees when a ICE raid is planned.
I can only imagine that the employer would be had up on charges by the state if he fired all his workers that didn't show up on the day of the ICE raid.
The Feds can go after the guy for hiring them and the state goes after him for firing them.
What a mess.

I wonder how long this lawsuit will take to play out? I sure hope it can be resolved by 2020 but I'm sure it will be grinded out in court. We can only hope that the good people of CA finally see how ridiculous their elected are and they give them the boot.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:30 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,791,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post

Hmmm. Is this an emotional response or do you have any valid facts?

First and foremost I don't support sanctuary cities. We have a rule of law that should be followed. I have concerns about why Trump is targeting California. Why not Chicago or any other sanctuary city? What are his motives for attacking the 6th largest GDP in the world?

Why is California a sanctuary city? Unfortunately illegals contribute billions to California's GDP. It's always all about the coin.

So again, why is Trump targeting California and not all sanctuary cities?

Old 03-07-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Hmmm. Is this an emotional response or do you have any valid facts?

First and foremost I don't support sanctuary cities. We have a rule of law that should be followed. I have concerns about why Trump is targeting California. Why not Chicago or any other sanctuary city? What are his motives for attacking the 6th largest GDP in the world?

Why is California a sanctuary city? Unfortunately illegals contribute billions to California's GDP. It's always all about the coin.

So again, why is Trump targeting California and not all sanctuary cities?
It could be that California passed a sanctuary state law. It’s not just a city, it’s the whole state. I don’t think any other state has done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration