U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 11:53 AM

32,823 posts, read 30,091,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So you think the Mayor of Oakland was right to alert hundreds of criminals about the ICE raid ?

Crime being down from the 90s or whenever is irrelevant . We canít just sit on our laurels and say crime isnít that bad . There is plenty of crime still . I guess itís ok as long as you arenít the victim right ?
That Director says they are going dark, there won't be any advance notice of the raids now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 12:18 PM

24,250 posts, read 13,734,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hundreds of criminals? Doubtful it was that many as they already admitted that half the people rounded up have no criminal record.

And Mayor Schaaf broke no laws.

Oh cut the hysteria. I live in Oakland and dont fear for my life. At all.
They said 800 people they were planning to arrest scattered because the Oakland Mayor gave them a heads up

Piedmont isnít that the nicest part of Oakland ?

Old 03-12-2018, 12:24 PM

3,058 posts, read 4,363,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I'm not friends with any illegals, nor do I employ any, so I don't have much of a dog in this fight. However, I do deal with illegals every day. I don't want my city, county, or country resources wasted persecuting these people who work twice as hard for half the pay, just becaue they committed the civil (not criminal) offense of crossing the border.

Let's focus on dealing with the vagrant trash that all the other states ship to us. I see a lot of young, able-bodied, white faces behind those signs begging for money or rolling stolen bikes down the street. I presume they're not illegals from Latvia. Let's deport those a-holes and keep the ones who are willing to work for their living, instead of robbing good citizens (and non-citizens) blind for their next fix.
Many of the illegals in my area are working for Mexican drug cartels tending illegal marijuana grows in our nearby forests... usually on public lands. The Butte County sheriff in a recent interview said that they make bail and take off, never making court dates that would put a felony on their records and tip ICE to their existence. He can't do anything about it due to Brown's stupid law. The other example is anecdotal. My nephew works for a local contractor. His crew are local guys and he pays them a good wage. My nephew told me they lose bids to contractors who hire illegals all the time. Basically, illegal migrants don't come without a cost. If your taxes don't go for assisting ICE they'll go for caring for migrants in one form or the other (health care, schools, law enforcement, etc...)

As far as your last sentiment, unless your out there polling these people with their cardboard signs you have no idea where they're from or what their story is. I watched a recent news piece on the homeless crisis in Los Angeles and they interviewed several people living in camps and guess what? Spanish speaking.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:50 PM

25,874 posts, read 49,787,562 times
Quote:
They said 800 people they were planning to arrest scattered because the Oakland Mayor gave them a heads up

Piedmont is similar to the Vatican... it is a city with it's own police, fire, etc totally within the city of Oakland...

Piedmont is known for low crime/top public schools and lovely tree lined neighborhoods with manicured yards plus a mix or newer custom homes...

Had a friend driving through Piedmont and he was cited for going 26 in a residential zone... he asked the officer if he didn't have anything better to do and 1 mile over the limit is crazy... the officer said the speed limit is 15 mph and had my friend been cited for 30 he would have gone to jail for going double the speed limit...

Old 03-12-2018, 12:53 PM

31,598 posts, read 53,166,657 times
Quote:
They said 800 people they were planning to arrest scattered because the Oakland Mayor gave them a heads up .
Given this administration's track record, the vast majority of those 800 probably had no criminal record so I congratulate her for warning them and completely support her actions as I dont want them deported.

Quote:
Yes and crime is down citywide.

You should really avoid the hysteria propgated by our fearmongering President.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:00 PM

788 posts, read 575,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Many of the illegals in my area are working for Mexican drug cartels tending illegal marijuana grows in our nearby forests... usually on public lands. The Butte County sheriff in a recent interview said that they make bail and take off, never making court dates that would put a felony on their records and tip ICE to their existence. He can't do anything about it due to Brown's stupid law. The other example is anecdotal. My nephew works for a local contractor. His crew are local guys and he pays them a good wage. My nephew told me they lose bids to contractors who hire illegals all the time. Basically, illegal migrants don't come without a cost. If your taxes don't go for assisting ICE they'll go for caring for migrants in one form or the other (health care, schools, law enforcement, etc...)

As far as your last sentiment, unless your out there polling these people with their cardboard signs you have no idea where they're from or what their story is. I watched a recent news piece on the homeless crisis in Los Angeles and they interviewed several people living in camps and guess what? Spanish speaking.
I am polling these guys, because I'm on the ground with them. I ran down a punk who was tresspassing and casing my neighbor's house. Followed him until the cops picked him up. White US Citizen. Vagrant. 25 years old. List of priors a mile long. Lots of drug-related stuff. From Toledo, OH.

My town is about 40% hispanics. Don't know how many illegals. The healthy-looking young panhandlers with cardboard signs or theives chopping up bicycles behind the bathrooms at the state park are 100% white men, and I doubt they're illegals. Some of the old, actually disabled, homeless (who's only crime is usually public urination/intoxication, not B&E) are black and hispanic, and women, but couldn't tell your their citizenship.

Plenty of help-wanted signs in the stores around here. Especially the big chain outfits where corporate policy is not to hire without papers.

I've tried to hire "will work" and "just hungry" guys for $20/hour. Nope. To a man, the answer has been no. The most success I've had was getting a guy walking by to give some help shifting a piano, but he was an older guy who took a stiff drink in payment over money.

I can put out a call for neighborhood kids and guys I know who are out of work and sometimes get a good one when I need an extra hand. When that fails, I can go to Home Depot and I can get all the help I need. For quick day laborers not much English spoken and no white faces in the crowd, but plenty of guys eager to pick up a shovel for pay.

Now, I'm sure there's some hard-working hardscrabble Americans put out of work by illegals who work harder for less money. I just don't see them in my day-to-day, so I put that problem down the list where it belongs. Spending all this money and hot-air on it seems like a political stunt and a big waste to me.

Also, since your county has such a problem with illegal pot growers, why doesn't the sheriff get the judges to bump bail so these perps can't get out before their court date? Our local police [figuratively, mostly] kick the ever-loving s**t out of any gangs and hard criminals that come into our town and make sure they don't escape the system. That just leaves us stuck with the revolving-door petty crimes, addicts, vagrancy, and looneys. Persecuting the illegals in our town wouldn't solve any of our problems. You think it would solve yours?

Old 03-12-2018, 04:39 PM

788 posts, read 575,705 times
And I should've initially said: "...I don't permanently employ..."

For the rare job I can't do myself, I'll hire day labor from any willing hands. So far 3 highschoolers, one possible transient, and two hispanic gentlemen.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:45 PM

16,093 posts, read 9,279,216 times
Quote:
I
Now, I'm sure there's some hard-working hardscrabble Americans put out of work by illegals who work harder for less money. I just don't see them in my day-to-day, so I put that problem down the list where it belongs. Spending all this money and hot-air on it seems like a political stunt and a big waste to me.
Setting aside crime, which is primarily a gang issue and they have a huge number of illegals in such gangs and not all are Hispanics, the above is the problem.

They will work for so little they push Citizens out of jobs. They work below the legal minimum and hours way beyond what is legal. I owned a landscape Maintenance company in SD and had my business ruined by companies hiring illegals (who yes they work hard) but only paid them $20.00 a day and lunch and worked them from sun up to sundown and 6 days a week. I was paying citizens well above minimum wage and lost work because the companies would bid just below me and yet make more money for the owners because they paid the illegals so little. I had lots of citizens wanting the jobs and never had a problem hiring those I needed. Citizens lost jobs because of the illegals and the illegal pay, etc. Or do you just want cheapo labor and do not care who gets hurt?

Old 03-13-2018, 07:28 AM

13,933 posts, read 13,588,503 times
Quote:
ICE has been focusing on illegals here that have committed crimes. Which is what the article is talking about .
But in reality, they're not targeting people who've committed crimes.

America's immigration policy is splitting families and spreading fear. Bye Dad, I Love You:| TIME

Old 03-13-2018, 07:32 AM

62,563 posts, read 27,831,811 times
Quote:
I'm not friends with any illegals, nor do I employ any, so I don't have much of a dog in this fight. However, I do deal with illegals every day. I don't want my city, county, or country resources wasted persecuting these people who work twice as hard for half the pay, just becaue they committed the civil (not criminal) offense of crossing the border.
How are they working? Illegal aliens aren't legally allowed to work in the US. So, right off the bat, they're committing a crime besides crossing the border illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration