Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 09:06 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,364,015 times

Advertisements

Great article by Doug McIntyre regarding California’s sanctuary state law .

Hopefully one day we can have a California run by politicians that respect our laws . A California that doesn’t shield criminals . That’s not asking for too much is it ?

The Golden State has gone rogue, having taken the radical step of passing SB 54, designating California an official sanctuary state for immigrants living in the country illegally. With an estimated 2.3 million illegal immigrants California has, by far, the largest undocumented population in the country. By signing SB 54, Gov. Jerry Brown codified what he once denied, that California doesn’t care how you get here, once you’re here, you’re here. He also doesn’t care that SB 54 has opened a legal Pandora’s box, in effect, nullifying the Supremacy Clause of the United States Constitution.

California has gone so far beyond the buoy we now find ourselves shielding illegal immigrants who have been convicted of serious, even violent, felonies unrelated to their immigration status. SB 54 not only prohibits California’s jails and prisons from cooperating with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the law makes it a crime for business owners to cooperate with the Feds, subjecting the law-abiding to $10,000 fines!

The United States accepts 1.1 million legal immigrants every year. We are, by far, the most welcoming people on earth. We are also a nation of laws. If California doesn’t like our immigration policies we can fight to change them, but we don’t get a veto over the other 49 states.

What California is doing is fundamentally un-American.

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/03/11...we-protecting/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 09:02 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,668,940 times
I'm not friends with any illegals, nor do I employ any, so I don't have much of a dog in this fight. However, I do deal with illegals every day. I don't want my city, county, or country resources wasted persecuting these people who work twice as hard for half the pay, just becaue they committed the civil (not criminal) offense of crossing the border.

Let's focus on dealing with the vagrant trash that all the other states ship to us. I see a lot of young, able-bodied, white faces behind those signs begging for money or rolling stolen bikes down the street. I presume they're not illegals from Latvia. Let's deport those a-holes and keep the ones who are willing to work for their living, instead of robbing good citizens (and non-citizens) blind for their next fix.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I'm not friends with any illegals, nor do I employ any, so I don't have much of a dog in this fight. However, I do deal with illegals every day. I don't want my city, county, or country resources wasted persecuting these people who work twice as hard for half the pay, just becaue they committed the civil (not criminal) offense of crossing the border.

Let's focus on dealing with the vagrant trash that all the other states ship to us. I see a lot of young, able-bodied, white faces behind those signs begging for money or rolling stolen bikes down the street. I presume they're not illegals from Latvia. Let's deport those a-holes and keep the ones who are willing to work for their living, instead of robbing good citizens (and non-citizens) blind for their next fix.
ICE has been focusing on illegals here that have committed crimes. Which is what the article is talking about .
The politicians in these sanctuary cities know this but want to protect the criminals .

I agree on the homeless . They commit crime at high levels . There was a recent LAPD report that 6,400 homeless were arrested for felonies . That’s a very high number . There were many more arrests for misdemeanors .

Old 03-12-2018, 09:27 AM

36,641 posts, read 67,289,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
i'm not friends with any illegals, nor do i employ any, so i don't have much of a dog in this fight. However, i do deal with illegals every day. I don't want my city, county, or country resources wasted persecuting these people who work twice as hard for half the pay, just becaue they committed the civil (not criminal) offense of crossing the border.

Let's focus on dealing with the vagrant trash that all the other states ship to us. I see a lot of young, able-bodied, white faces behind those signs begging for money or rolling stolen bikes down the street. I presume they're not illegals from latvia. Let's deport those a-holes and keep the ones who are willing to work for their living, instead of robbing good citizens (and non-citizens) blind for their next fix.
+1

Old 03-12-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
ICE has been focusing on illegals here that have committed crimes. Which is what the article is talking about .
ICE is lying and your article is misinformed.

Since Trump took office, felon deportations have only gone up 4% while deportatees with no criminal record have gone up 330%. That's according to CBS News.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
ICE is lying and your article is misinformed.

Since Trump took office, felon deportations have only gone up 4% while deportatees with no criminal record have gone up 330%. That's according to CBS News.
The problem with sanctuary city policies is the criminals get released back into the community making it a dangerous situation for all . If the local cities just worked with ICE we wouldn’t be having these issues of the ones that are just here illegally getting arrested .

But remember at the end of the day they don’t have any right to be here either . Immigration law is decided by the federal government, not local governments.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
The problem with sanctuary city policies is the criminals get released back into the community making it a dangerous situation for all.
No that's fearmongering. Crime is down overall across the country for the most part. You cant hold up a few high profile incidents as emblematic of the nation as a whole.

Deport the felons-no one is against that.

Quote:
But remember at the end of the day they don’t have any right to be here either . Immigration law is decided by the federal government, not local governments.
Yes so the fed drags its feet and then after local jurisdictions deal with the issue the fed now wants to step in and start mass deporting?

Sorry, not happening. There's a reason why Trump hasnt simply deployed troops to mass snatch all undocumented persons and deport them immediately.

If it could be that way, it would already have been done, but Trump knows most Americans would not stand for it. We are not heartless asssholes like he and his most xenophobic supporters are.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No that's fearmongering. Crime is down overall across the country for the most part. You cant hold up a few high profile incidents as emblematic of the nation as a whole.

Deport the felons-no one is against that.

Yes so the fed drags its feet and then after local jurisdictions deal with the issue the fed now wants to step in and start mass deporting?

Sorry, not happening. There's a reason why Trump hasnt simply deployed troops to mass snatch all undocumented persons and deport them immediately.

If it could be that way, it would already have been done, but Trump knows most Americans would not stand for it. We are not heartless asssholes like he and his most xenophobic supporters are.
So you think the Mayor of Oakland was right to alert hundreds of criminals about the ICE raid ?

Crime being down from the 90s or whenever is irrelevant . We can’t just sit on our laurels and say crime isn’t that bad . There is plenty of crime still . I guess it’s ok as long as you aren’t the victim right ?

Old 03-12-2018, 10:14 AM

8,277 posts, read 6,352,169 times
McIntire is on 790 AM each morning. The large amount of illegals here also are some of the reason for the huge amount of homeless. The very poor competing with the desperately poor for what little housing there is.
Giving illegals drivers licence also says to them Come on in.
Democrats see illegals as making sure they will stay in power forever, maybe they don't vote Yet but all their friends and relatives do.
The first thing in a long time that will help is the federal Dept.of Justice sueing Calif. over three laws Calif. passed protecting illegals which nullifies the Supremacy Clause of the constitution. Calif. will lose but the Democrats know that they can tie it up in the courts for years.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
So you think the Mayor of Oakland was right to alert hundreds of criminals about the ICE raid ?
Hundreds of criminals? Doubtful it was that many as they already admitted that half the people rounded up have no criminal record.

And Mayor Schaaf broke no laws.

Quote:
Crime being down from the 90s or whenever is irrelevant . We can’t just sit on our laurels and say crime isn’t that bad . There is plenty of crime still . I guess it’s ok as long as you aren’t the victim right ?
Oh cut the hysteria. I live in Oakland and dont fear for my life. At all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration