U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-19-2018, 11:33 AM
 
39,021 posts, read 23,155,465 times
Reputation: 12149

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Because the ACLU/democrats don't want them to get an ID.
You're wrong.

The ACLU/Democrats don't want people who are legally entitled to vote to be disenfranchised. A very nice elderly woman used to live in my neighborhood. She wanted to vote, but couldn't. She didn't have ID. She didn't have a birth certificate. She'd never worked outside the home, she'd never gotten a driver's license because her husband was the one who drove the car. Her husband worked, she took care of the home. When he died, her oldest son helped her. He took her to the grocery store, he took her to the doctor. He arranged for the church to send help once a week to help her clean the house and take care of the yard.

When she wanted to vote, the church was willing to take her to the county courthouse to get registered, but she had no identification. She didn't have the internet, and wouldn't have known how to use a computer, to figure out how to get her birth certificate from out of state. She didn't have a car. The challenges facing her weren't insurmountable, but for her they were enormous. The ACLU understands this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2018, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Northwest Peninsula
2,621 posts, read 1,352,315 times
Reputation: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You're wrong.

The ACLU/Democrats don't want people who are legally entitled to vote to be disenfranchised. A very nice elderly woman used to live in my neighborhood. She wanted to vote, but couldn't. She didn't have ID. She didn't have a birth certificate. She'd never worked outside the home, she'd never gotten a driver's license because her husband was the one who drove the car. Her husband worked, she took care of the home. When he died, her oldest son helped her. He took her to the grocery store, he took her to the doctor. He arranged for the church to send help once a week to help her clean the house and take care of the yard.

When she wanted to vote, the church was willing to take her to the county courthouse to get registered, but she had no identification. She didn't have the internet, and wouldn't have known how to use a computer, to figure out how to get her birth certificate from out of state. She didn't have a car. The challenges facing her weren't insurmountable, but for her they were enormous. The ACLU understands this.
I would be very interested in knowing how she applied for SS or with no ID how did she pay at the store? No reason her son couldn't apply to get her Birth Certificate. Its take about 5 minutes.
You know I doubt she had no ID and any kind. I have a feeling this is a fake story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 03:43 PM
 
39,021 posts, read 23,155,465 times
Reputation: 12149
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I would be very interested in knowing how she applied for SS or with no ID how did she pay at the store? No reason her son couldn't apply to get her Birth Certificate. Its take about 5 minutes.
You know I doubt she had no ID and any kind. I have a feeling this is a fake story.
She didn't live in the same state she was born in, so, actually, it takes more than 5 minutes. Without a computer, it takes quite a bit longer. I don't know how she applied for social security. I'm sure she paid at the store the same way I do. I haven't been asked for ID at a store in YEARS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 04:52 PM
 
5,644 posts, read 3,196,510 times
Reputation: 6628
I lived in Florida for 10 years, after voting in my birth state of NY for 30 years. Showed Florida my US Passport to get a Driver's License. Enough for ya??????

I voted ONCE in person at the Polls In Florida. "Lookie here, we got ourselves a DEMOCRAT!" That is ILLEGAL. Poll workers cannot announce a citizen's Political Party to the World. Never again.

After that, I always voted by Absentee Ballot. Please tell me how you propose to check for ID for that? Actually, in the 2008 Presidential General Election I drove to the Board of Elections and handed them my Absentee Ballot in person. I ain't dealing with any ------ in my old age. My family has been in America since the 1840's, and I can PROVE IT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Florida & Cebu, Philippines
2,808 posts, read 2,237,032 times
Reputation: 2852
Excuses, excuses, excuses, if those making excuses spent as much time as they do making excuses on helping those people who need id to get id, then there would no longer be anyone without id. We need to be a "can do" county, not an country of people who always have an excuse why they cannot do something.

In the case above, there is no reason why the woman's son could not contact the church or govt offices to get her an id of some type that would lead to a voter card. Library's have free computers, the son could ask for help of someone there, if he too is helpless, to help him get her an id.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2018, 07:03 PM
 
7,651 posts, read 5,407,484 times
Reputation: 14362
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Ya know I used to be against this but after all the fraud and illegals and illegal voting I think this is needed.
I agree, the time has come to end this crap. A country without borders and laws isn't a country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2018, 07:23 AM
 
39,021 posts, read 23,155,465 times
Reputation: 12149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Excuses, excuses, excuses, if those making excuses spent as much time as they do making excuses on helping those people who need id to get id, then there would no longer be anyone without id. We need to be a "can do" county, not an country of people who always have an excuse why they cannot do something.

In the case above, there is no reason why the woman's son could not contact the church or govt offices to get her an id of some type that would lead to a voter card. Library's have free computers, the son could ask for help of someone there, if he too is helpless, to help him get her an id.
Just so you know, not all libraries have free computers. There are even communities that don't have libraries. Whether we are a "can do" country or not, the fact of the matter is that it is not easy or cheap for everyone to get an ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2018, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Northwest Peninsula
2,621 posts, read 1,352,315 times
Reputation: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
She didn't live in the same state she was born in, so, actually, it takes more than 5 minutes. Without a computer, it takes quite a bit longer. I don't know how she applied for social security. I'm sure she paid at the store the same way I do. I haven't been asked for ID at a store in YEARS.
Be my guess that her son most likely has access to a computer be home/work/library. Yes, no matter what state a person was born in it should only take about 5 minutes to get a birth certificate. A person can also write to your state of birth to get the birth certificate.

Social Security...

Date of Birth and Place of Birth (found on your Birth Certificate)
  • State Issued ID or Driverís License
  • W2 Form or Proof of your income within the past 12 Months
  • Any Names of Disabled Children (if applicable)
  • Date of Death of Your Spouse or Ex-Spouse
  • Bank Account and Routing number for Payments
Note the first line.....


Learn How to Easily Apply for Social Security Benefits and Receive the Most Benefits



Do you pay only in cash at the store or do you use a credit card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2018, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Northwest Peninsula
2,621 posts, read 1,352,315 times
Reputation: 1377
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Just so you know, not all libraries have free computers. There are even communities that don't have libraries. Whether we are a "can do" country or not, the fact of the matter is that it is not easy or cheap for everyone to get an ID.
In the states that require a voter ID will provide for you free of charge. And in some cases where the person can not go to get one the state will come to your door.

As the courts noted, voters who lack Photo ID undoubtedly exist somewhere, but the fact that Plaintiffs, in spite of their efforts, have failed to uncover anyone "who can attest to the fact that he/she will be prevented from voting" provides significant support for a conclusion that the Photo ID requirement does not unduly burden the right to vote.

http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/electionlaw...on-1-14-09.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2018, 11:58 AM
 
39,021 posts, read 23,155,465 times
Reputation: 12149
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Be my guess that her son most likely has access to a computer be home/work/library. Yes, no matter what state a person was born in it should only take about 5 minutes to get a birth certificate. A person can also write to your state of birth to get the birth certificate.

Social Security...

Date of Birth and Place of Birth (found on your Birth Certificate)
  • State Issued ID or Driverís License
  • W2 Form or Proof of your income within the past 12 Months
  • Any Names of Disabled Children (if applicable)
  • Date of Death of Your Spouse or Ex-Spouse
  • Bank Account and Routing number for Payments
Note the first line.....


Learn How to Easily Apply for Social Security Benefits and Receive the Most Benefits



Do you pay only in cash at the store or do you use a credit card?
I had to get a new birth certificate last year. It cost me almost $70.00, and took me more than a week to get it.

It's none of your business how I pay at the store. But whether I pay in cash, by credit card or by debit card, it has been years since anyone asked for my ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top