U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 01:48 AM

4,527 posts, read 1,944,781 times

Advertisements

2 dead in Kern County after vehicle overturns while fleeing ICE agents

There's a little more information in the LA Times article, though they neglect to report. How fast do you have to be going to flip your car and die instantly like that? I know people don't want to be caught, but it's weird that parents of six children (and one grandchild!) basically committed suicide. Esp. since many illegals in CA without violent histories get caught, play the waiting game while activists and lawyers argue that you can't separate parents from children, then eventually go free....it begs the question of whether they really were engaged in some criminal activity and it caught up to them. The father is a drunk driver and the couple has popped out a kid every three years since the wife was 15. At least they didn't mow down pedestrians or crash into other cars in their selfish quest to evade law enforcement at 7am in a residential neighborhood.

Quote:
Santos Hilario Garcia, 35, and Marcelina Garcia Profecto, 33, were declared dead at the scene.
Quote:
Hilario, who was convicted in 2014 of driving under the influence, was voluntarily returned to Mexico three times between 2008 and 2017, Haley said. Garcia had no prior encounters with ICE.
Quote:
The couple had been in the U.S since 2003, and were in the country illegally, according to the United Farm Workers of America. The farmworkers leave behind six children — the oldest 18 and youngest 8. The oldest daughter has a 1-year-old baby.

Last edited by Kaphawoman; 03-16-2018 at 01:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 01:54 AM

4,527 posts, read 1,944,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Lying sos. They didn't mistake him for someone else, they were just out looking for someone that looked Hispanic.

Again, going after individuals as opposed to those hiring them.

I hope these agents are haunted by their kids faces for the rest of their lives.
Wrong. They went directly to the family's house. They weren't roving the public sidewalk cuffing everyone that looked Hispanic. It's possible the actual target was associated with this couple and/or had lived at that address.

Quote:
ICE spokeswoman Lori Haley said late Wednesday that deportation officers arrived at the home and saw a man get into a car. When they stopped the car and tried to contact the driver, the driver sped off, she said. Officers later came across the overturned vehicle and called local authorities.
2 dead in Kern County after vehicle overturns while fleeing ICE agents

Old 03-16-2018, 02:13 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,238,055 times
So the man committed a felony not once but twice by reentering the country after being deported, sorry but I have no tears for anyone who commits not one but two felony reentries, what is sad is that he took his wife (if that is what she was) with him.
Quote:
Illegal Reentry into the U.S. After Removal: Crime and Punishment - FindLaw
After an alien has been legally "removed" from the United States, federal criminal law makes it a felony for that alien to reenter (or be found in) the country without approval of the government.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:37 AM

71,504 posts, read 30,049,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
HMMMMMM
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...a-12544863.php

then there is this:
https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/...ar-you/550289/

While I agree that I would love to see the fed drop the biggest hammer they have on all employers of illegals, Ill take what we can get.
I want illegals looking over their shoulders. I want them worried about ICE.
Yeah chop shops are bad, but so are the car thieves. Get them all.
"NO arrests reported". It was all for show.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:57 AM

6,730 posts, read 1,900,368 times
Quote:
"NO arrests reported". It was all for show.
Shrug arrest the illegals. Its a win. Arrest the employers and its 2 wins. Ill take any win.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Shrug arrest the illegals. Its a win. Arrest the employers and its 2 wins. Ill take any win.
Meaningless. You are not going to make even a tiny dent concentrating on the illegals and they are not going to go after the employers because they know that as long as they say the right things and pretend to do something, you will be pulling the lever for their name again.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:44 AM

31,535 posts, read 14,580,770 times
I can't believe how desperate and ridiculous the pro-illegals are. They constantly pull the race/skin color/ethnicity card. An illegal alien is an illegal alien regardless of that. To claim that ICE targets people because of the above is equally ridiculous.

This couple was evading the law because they were in our country illegally nothing more and nothing less. ICE was at their door because it was suspected that one or more illegals were living there and were felons. I wish for once we'd have an honest discussion with these pro-illegals instead of the constant race card pulling.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:57 AM

27,206 posts, read 11,367,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Now, how in the heck would that work if we just had mandatory E-Verify to accompany the mandatory I-9 and subsequent W-4 info?

If you were unable to submit W-4 info without a confirmed I-9, which would be going through an E-Verify process, and if it were ILLEGAL to pay wages to any person without having that on file, which I believe is the case already, then this certainly WOULD stop. Employers are knowingly breaking the law if they don't comply, and they're not going to take a hit by spending money on wages they can't write off, and risk criminal prosecution.

It is easy to figure out who is not here legally, because the wages and I-9s will not match up with a valid SSID...but that's all basically only discoverable in arrears under the current system.

Because there is no process to prevent that - and that's where E-Verify comes in.

Because its electronic and real-time, employers can perform this simple pre-employment check at the same time they process an application for employment or add an employee to payroll.
I have advocated for e-verify for a very long time but employer's aren't going to accept it. I'm pretty sure if a bill ever makes it to the President's desk there will be carve outs for 30 years for meat/poultry packers and farm labor. It's not democrats who fight e-verify it's businesses and their front groups like the chamber of commerce. Most democrats including myself fully support mandatory e-verify the deal breaker has always been the republican insistence that it be applied retroactively to employees who have worked here for decades.

And employers aren't breaking the law, that's what's weird. The HOA I lived in had a landscape crew of about 14 workers, only the lead could speak English. Several people questioned the citizenship of the other workers and called an attorney. The attorney said that as long as the worker provided an ID that showed he/she had legal status the employer was not responsible for doing further inquiry or vetting the ID.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have advocated for e-verify for a very long time but employer's aren't going to accept it. I'm pretty sure if a bill ever makes it to the President's desk there will be carve outs for 30 years for meat/poultry packers and farm labor. It's not democrats who fight e-verify it's businesses and their front groups like the chamber of commerce. Most democrats including myself fully support mandatory e-verify the deal breaker has always been the republican insistence that it be applied retroactively to employees who have worked here for decades.
I have also. I have supported the government coming down hard on the problem.....the employers. That somehow seems to make me "pro-illegal".

I do not support wasting dollars by chasing individuals doing nothing more than be here. It's a waste of tax payer money. We are now financially responsible for six kids.

Quote:
And employers aren't breaking the law, that's what's weird. The HOA I lived in had a landscape crew of about 14 workers, only the lead could speak English. Several people questioned the citizenship of the other workers and called an attorney. The attorney said that as long as the worker provided an ID that showed he/she had legal status the employer was not responsible for doing further inquiry or vetting the ID.

Wal-Mart to Pay U.S. $11 Million in Lawsuit on Illegal Workers - The New York Times

The workers didn't even directly work for Wal-Mart but they were held responsible for making sure those working in their stores were working legally.

That aside, there are many employers that know perfectly well that their employers are not here legally.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:25 AM

27,206 posts, read 11,367,475 times
Quote:
I have also. I have supported the government coming down hard on the problem.....the employers. That somehow seems to make me "pro-illegal". I do not support wasting dollars by chasing individuals doing nothing more than be here. It's a waste of tax payer money. We are now financially responsible for six kids.
Exactly!
Quote:
Wal-Mart to Pay U.S. $11 Million in Lawsuit on Illegal Workers - The New York Times
The workers didn't even directly work for Wal-Mart but they were held responsible for making sure those working in their stores were working legally.
That aside, there are many employers that know perfectly well that their employers are not here legally.
I think this is what cooked their goose:

"Documents from a federal investigation of Wal-Mart Stores Inc. suggest that at least three executives at the world's largest retailer knew its cleaning contractors used illegal immigrants who worked as many as seven days a week for less than minimum wage." https://outline.com/xWv3H

The attorney the people in the HOA talked to about them hiring illegals referred them to the requirements set out by UCSIS which gives employers a perfect 'out' as long as they retain a photocopy of the ID they were provided by the job applicant, he said there is no requirement that they have the documents examined to see if they are real, nor are they required to do further vetting.

"The employer must examine the employment eligibility and identity document(s) an employee presents to determine whether the document(s) reasonably appear to be genuine and to relate to the employee and record the document information on the Form I-9."
https://www.uscis.gov/i-9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or